George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time?

+26
Carla97
amaretti
Joanna
Dior
GiGi
Nicky80
noodle
Picachu
very vera
Juliette Hardy
What Would He Say
Carolina Gal
playfuldeb
Barbara Garabedian
annemarie
phys major
LornaDoone
melbert
fava
party animal - not!
silly girl
Lighterside
it's me
Mazy
Atalante
Katiedot
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? Empty George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time?

Post by Katiedot Mon 27 May 2013, 08:44

Ok, before we start on this, I remind everyone that this is a 'no taboo' forum, which means we're open to discussion of the bad as well as the good parts of George Clooney. If you find this topic offensive, I completely understand, and can only suggest you move on to another thread.

If you think George is a great person and it's mean to even discuss anything like this about him, then please consider your point made. I take it as read that no one here knows him and therefore it's all speculation.

Here I've pulled together various quotes from different threads at different times on people's opinions on the subject. I hope you don't mind that I've put it all together in one place.

------------------------------
FIrstly, a few quotes from the man himself:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
George Clooney doesn't use twitter because:
"I don't use Twitter because I tend to drink in the evening, and I don't want anything that I could possibly write at midnight to actually end my career. 'You can kiss my ass.' All spelled wrong."

He [GeorgeClooney] also acknowledges, "I drink at times too much. I do enjoy drinking, and there have been times in my life when it's crossed the line from being fun to having to drink late at night for absolutely no reason. So what I do is, I stop. I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve."

From this thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
George Clooney gives up drinking in order to give his 'liver a chance to catch back up' 1/17/2012
Gina DiFalco

George Clooney’s 2012 has been given a great start, with his new relationship with Stacy Keibler seeming to be going better than ever and with the success of his film The Descendants.

Clooney wrote, directed and starred in the film, even taking home the Golden Globe for Best Actor In A Motion Picture on Sunday night. However, don’t expect the actor to make any champagne toasts to his win.

Clooney has revealed that one of his New Year’s resolutions is to take a break from drinking.

"I've made a little New Year's deal that I wouldn't drink for a while... I'm giving my liver a chance to catch back up,” he said, Contact Music reports.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] r-give-his-liver-chance-catch-back-01-17-2012

George Clooney Bans Himself From Booze

by Lydia Harris on January 17, 2012

George Clooney has given himself a self-imposed ban on alcoholic beverages!

In a new interview, the actor says that he is abstaining from drinking booze for a short while so that he can see if it improves his health. We’re sure most doctors would agree with this plan, eh?

He revealed, “I’ve made a little New Year’s deal that I wouldn’t drink for a while. I’m giving my liver a chance to catch back up.”

George was arguably the funniest thing about Sunday’s Golden Globes, poking fun at Michael Fassbender with a penis joke. It’s good to know that he brought the funny all on his own with no assistance from alcohol. Ha.

------------------------------
And a few thoughts from us:

Joanie's Clone wrote:Yes, if it were done as seemingly promoted, it would be pure sleaze. He does hang with sleaze tho, and thats been something that bothers me a bit. He is also an alcoholic. Can't live without the stuff. maybe for a short time but its in his blood. Like my father and his before him. I understand alcoholics, but don't like it one bit. I really don't like the sleaze that seems to permeate his life either.

But I love many of his films and approve of his humanitarian efforts. He seems like a good man in most ways, but not real sure about how good he is as a man for a woman. Lover maybe, but you know, no woman can last long with someone who doesn't really care about her.

George Clooney, big star, Hollywood Icon, famed for his many lovers as a womanizer, does humanitarian deeds, drinks too much, lets sleaze cling to him. There is something missing here. But what is so missing in his life that he doesn't seem to care too much how his life and how his reputation is effected by sleazy activities???
watching in April 2011 wrote:Yes most of relationships have been this way since Celine but the press never wrote about it before. There was the odd comment here but articles discussing the validity of his relationships - not before Betty. Sarah got people watching more than before and questioning the image that Clooney had built over the years as that relationship was in constrast to what he presented himself as. Betty was the second in very high profile dodgy relationships which seemed to be at odds with the George image (classy, humble, decent guy not skank loving functioning alcoholic) which has lead to more commentary and speculation.
Missa in January 2012 wrote:
Joanna wrote:Remember dear old Dino's creed ? "We feel sorry for people who don't drink, cos when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" Love3
Wasn't Dino also known for playing up the drunk image while really filling his glass with apple juice? Frank Sinatra once said "I spill more than Dean drinks." Maybe George is playing the same game, playing up the image but actually toning down the drinking a little.

Or maybe he's on a cleanse. Wink
Katiedot in January 2012 wrote:This is also from his interview with the Hollywood Reporter.

I'm wondering whether it's really true that he has stopped - remember those pics of him at an awards show with open wine bottles and a half-drunk glass of red wine in front of him? I also wonder if this is a tacit admission of a drinking problem?

He also acknowledges, "I drink at times too much. I do enjoy drinking, and there have been times in my life when it's crossed the line from being fun to having to drink late at night for absolutely no reason. So what I do is, I stop. I haven't had a drink since New Year's Eve."
playfuldeb in March 2012 wrote: I have a theory about this. I could be very very wrong about this also, but here goes.

As women get older I feel they dont drink as much as when they were oung. George still likes to drink. I get the impression that it's a lot. So he dates younger women who still like to drink because then he can justify his drinking habits. Rather than admit that he may be a social alcoholic (if there is such a thing) he can just say he drinks with company, and the company happens to be younger women who still drink quite a bit.

make sense? Like I said, tho, I could be very very wrong about his drinking as well. This is based just on what little I see. And I am not trying to start any rumors
pattygirl in September 2011 wrote:Why is everyone so twisted out of shape because George drinks too much sometimes? IMHO George should be and is his own keeper. Who are we to judge his actions? I do not condone alcoholism (father was a drunk), but if that is his choice, Que sera, sera! Yes!

I for one accept him, warts and all. I don't have to live with him,so I can "love" him unconditionally, and I do.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? Empty Re: George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time?

Post by Atalante Mon 27 May 2013, 09:41

" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
George Clooney doesn't use twitter because:
"I don't use Twitter because I tend to drink in the evening, and I don't want anything that I could possibly write at midnight to actually end my career. 'You can kiss my ass.' All spelled wrong. "

Gosh I wish he would tweet that sentence all wrong. Laughing killmenow
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time? Empty Re: George Clooney, alcoholic or just having a good time?

Post by Mazy Mon 27 May 2013, 10:20

I personally do not believe that George is an “alcoholic.” I do not drink because of food allergy reasons. Like most people when I was younger I drank quite a bit at times, until I got my diagnosis and could not any more. I really don’t miss it a lot. I don’t like drunks because I’ve also had too many of them in my family.

I think that yes George likes to drink as he says. However it seems that he has learned the hard way about drinking too much or any at certain times. “Loose lips sink ships,” as the axiom goes. He is a very controlled type of person so he’s not going to be doing things that is going to take that control out of his own hands.

When he does over indulge it is going to be where and when he chooses, not just anywhere. He will always have someone trusted with him if it is out. These pictures that we have been getting don’t tell an actual true story. Not only they are taken out of context they are getting him in-between steps.

Let me first say I realize that George was doing some drinking. Just for the record I’m not that stupid as someone recently said, maybe just a little. However I firmly believe that all the camera flashes are causing George a terrible problem at night. I’ve gotten additional pictures from the recent nights that George has been out. There are a lot that he is okay in because they are not flashes at his eyes. Not just this weekend I’ve been noticing what I feel is a problem and think is the reason for the new glasses. Mainly a sensitivity to bright lights and I think that the reddish orange lenses help most often. Except maybe when you’ve had a few and they start flashing those damn lights in his eyes.

Like I said I’m not saying that George doesn’t drink but an alcoholic no way. If he was it wouldn’t matter to me except I would feel bad for him because he has so much to give. I love George no matter what; no hair, no teeth no whatever. I just love him and always will till the day I die it’s not a choice it just is; there is no room for anyone else. So if I truly thought he was an alcoholic I just wouldn’t say anything. I could be 100% wrong or right but this is my opinion.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 27 May 2013, 13:21

Sure
I agree on the control thing
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 27 May 2013, 13:54

Being controlled has nothing to do with having an addiction. Nobody chooses to be an alcoholic.

I flip flop on this. While George certainly drinks, for many years I thought it was just regular social drinking and got into quite heated arguments with others over whether or not he was an alcoholic.

Half the problem for me is that a lot of times posters commenting on him don't drink, or barely drink, and don't have a realistic standard of what constitutes normal social drinking and what's alcoholism.

He jokes a lot about drinking but I tend to take it as just that: jokes. It's all part of his image as a fun-loving, relaxed, social animal and exaggerated for comic effect. I think.

Falling out of a restaurant, obviously a little worse for wear isn't alcoholism. Falling out of a restaurant, obviously a little worse for wear five nights in a row isn't alcoholism either: it's someone who likes to have a good time. Someone who probably should cut back on the booze, yes, but not necessarily someone with a drinking problem.

Now I wonder a bit more about George. The quotes above show that he's aware there could be an issue and that he takes it seriously. Does this mean he falls off the wagon sometimes? I don't know.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Mon 27 May 2013, 14:35

George jokes about heavy drinking in the same way that Bill Maher jokes about pot smoking. Both probably don't do it nearly as often as the media and public think. It's a mechanism for easy jokes that always get a laugh. In fact, just recently Bill commented on his show with Michael Moore that it's his own fault that the public has this perception of him being stoned all the time. Nothing could be further from the truth in Maher's case and I believe that is the same with George.

If either one of them imbibed in their particular poison as often as people think, neither of them would have the thriving career they do today. It takes immense stamina to work like George does. Name me one alcoholic that has the thriving career that George has and works 16 hour days like he does....you won't be able to because the nature of alcoholism is that even the functioning alcoholics have problems working after years of abusing the beverage. George has how many projects going at once? No way is he even a "functioning alcoholic" and getting the job done and winning awards all at the same time.

Not in the real world anyway...but it makes a great story!
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Mon 27 May 2013, 14:48

I don't think he is an alcoholic per se but does binge drink on occasion. I think his film is winding down---It seems GH(hoping he is spending time with his family) wasn't there and needed to relax. No photos from last night so maybe he is working today....which means no late nights. Of course he might just be sleeping in after a partying all weekend.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 May 2013, 14:59

SG - mentioned on the Monuments thread that the PR tweeted that filming had started on Saturday.......so pretty continuous I think

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Mon 27 May 2013, 15:07

Hard to say, and we will probably never know. There are a lot of different types of alcoholics. Some work hard, are productive and lead otherwise normal lives and function at a very high level and other people don't realize that they have an addiction. Binge drinking can also be problemmatic even if the person does not drink every day. I believe research is discovering that there is also a genetic component in being suseptible to alcoholism. If there is a family history he may take his own drinking more seriously if he thinks it is escalating. If he mixes pain meds with alcohol that can also make the alcohol more problematic. (fyi--I drink a glass or two, although only a couple times a week, occasionally drink too much (and regret it the next day) and often joke about needing a drink)

Also, I don't object to the person who brought this issue up recently. I think it is only when such issues are discussed and not treated as taboo that those affected become more willing to get help and become less stigmatized. Rehab has become a perfectly acceptable Hollywood activity.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 27 May 2013, 15:13

I think that George is very aware of his family history of alcoholism (re Uncle George) and has commented on that. Does he drink? yes. Does he talk incessantly about drinking and being drunk? yes. In Rande's interview about how Casamigos came about, he stated that they were drinking ALL THE TIME and created the blend that suited them the best. They can't all look the way they do by drinking ALL THE TIME. It would take it's toll. The pictures we've gotten sure look like he's a bit drunk in some of them, but also stated by others here on OH, the lights, being tired, maybe a drink or two are all contributing factors. Pictures DON'T tell the whole story. In a video, he could have been walking with no difficulty. I think that he talks about drinking all the time to keep up his appearance of being George, the good-time guy.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 May 2013, 15:19

I agree. I remember a recent interview on Access Hollywood I think with Cindy Crawford - the one about the borthday flowers - and B Bush commented on Our Hero's remark in an interview where he said he'd stop drinking completely from New Year's Eve til the big awards ceremony, and she confirmed that and said that he realises that it would be a heavy drinking time....

Also remember the many apocraphyl stories of how he was known to feed the plants with his drinks

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 27 May 2013, 15:44

Katiedot wrote:Being controlled has nothing to do with having an addiction. Nobody chooses to be an alcoholic.

Falling out of a restaurant, obviously a little worse for wear isn't alcoholism. Falling out of a restaurant, obviously a little worse for wear five nights in a row isn't alcoholism either: it's someone who likes to have a good time. Someone who probably should cut back on the booze, yes, but not necessarily someone with a drinking problem.

Now I wonder a bit more about George. The quotes above show that he's aware there could be an issue and that he takes it seriously. Does this mean he falls off the wagon sometimes? I don't know.

I have to disagree with this specific comment. Falling out five days a week IS an alcoholic.

I used to be a bartender and we'd have our regulars who were in there every evening. They were alcoholics. They may have been functioning during the day but the fact that they couldn't go a day without a drink? That's what I call an alcoholic.

In George's case if he's able to stop his drinking for long periods doesn't mean that's he's not an alcoholic. AA members stop drinking but they consider themselves alcoholics and will always be alcoholics that's why they have to stop drinking. That's why they have those sobriety chips.

I used to drink heavily during my college years (mostly beers) and was out partying with friends throughout my twenties. When I reached my thirties my body told me that lifestyle was no longer acceptable. So I stopped the ongoing social drinking. I very rarely drink now - only when out with friends and usually only on special occasions - perhaps two or three times a year. I may joke about needing a drink, but really have no desire for it. The consequences the next day are just not worth it!

That George is in his fifties and still prone to binge drinking - indicates to me that he's a functioning alcoholic. He's still able to work - like many. He's able to stop for periods of time - like many. But he goes back to it time and time again. Of course this is just my opinion.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Mon 27 May 2013, 16:02

I have been highly educated in the subject of substance abuse, It is a disease.
Just like cancer or any other disease that destroys your body, so is alcoholism (or drug of choice)..There are four stages of alcoholism, people can stay in any of the four stages for longer periods than others. Some progress through the stages at faster intervals..Example, someone could stay in stage 2 for 20 years before they progress to the 3rd stage, whereas someone else could progress through stage 2 in 2 years. stage four is the last stage where you will start to see the body shutting down from the disease..

There has been very in depth study's on substance abuse. one of the unfortunate misconceptions is ," if someone is successful and functioning in the business world that they couldn't possible have a problem" There have been studies which "PROVE" people with substance abuse issues have higher intelligence levels ,therefore they are able to function beyond what a social substance user can...

Unfortunately for the substance abuser, this common misconception has helped to encourage the substance abuser to continue on the destructive path that will eventually lead to his ultimate demise if not stopped. There are many people called "ENABLERS" that surround most substance abusers.
they are not educated in the warning signs of this disease, therefore the abuser continues on there destructive path, with the help of others, who are in denial about the way the disease works.

Personally, I can write a 20 page synopsis, on the major points that have given me, in my educated mind, the facts that George does indeed have, and is dealing with this heart wrenching disease...

Now, and take this anyway you want, I see many enablers just on this website alone.. Now imagine how many surround him in his personal life..
phys major
phys major

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 27 May 2013, 16:08

phys major wrote:I have been highly educated in the subject of substance abuse, It is a disease.
Just like cancer or any other disease that destroys your body, so is alcoholism (or drug of choice)..There are four stages of alcoholism, people can stay in any of the four stages for longer periods than others. Some progress through the stages at faster intervals..Example, someone could stay in stage 2 for 20 years before they progress to the 3rd stage, whereas someone else could progress through stage 2 in 2 years. stage four is the last stage where you will start to see the body shutting down from the disease..

There has been very in depth study's on substance abuse. one of the unfortunate misconceptions is ," if someone is successful and functioning in the business world that they couldn't possible have a problem" There have been studies which "PROVE" people with substance abuse issues have higher intelligence levels ,therefore they are able to function beyond what a social substance user can...

Unfortunately for the substance abuser, this common misconception has helped to encourage the substance abuser to continue on the destructive path that will eventually lead to his ultimate demise if not stopped. There are many people called "ENABLERS" that surround most substance abusers.
they are not educated in the warning signs of this disease, therefore the abuser continues on there destructive path, with the help of others, who are in denial about the way the disease works.

Personally, I can write a 20 page synopsis, on the major points that have given me, in my educated mind, the facts that George does indeed have, and is dealing with this heart wrenching disease...

Now, and take this anyway you want, I see many enablers just on this website alone.. Now imagine how many surround him in his personal life..

Disagree on this statement. An enabler would have to have actual contact and influence with the person. No one on this site (as far as I can tell) actually is a friend or family member of George's to have any true impact on his life choices.

Thanks though for the info - you've given us some very good information about the nature of the disease.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Mon 27 May 2013, 16:29

You are absolutely correct Lorna..I was just coming back to correct that statement with a if George read here!

Please! we all need to remember this is a "disease" and it doesn't mean that the person is some kind of criminal or horrible person.
phys major
phys major

Back to top Go down

Post by annemarie Mon 27 May 2013, 16:42

I think he is in control of his drinking. He does enjoy it but knows when to stop.

annemarie
Over the Clooney moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 27 May 2013, 17:03

LornaDoone wrote:I have to disagree with this specific comment. Falling out five days a week IS an alcoholic.
How about we split the difference? Someone who HAS to drink five days a week is an alcoholic. Someone who doesn't have to and can (and does) stop whenever isn't.

phys major wrote: Personally, I can write a 20 page synopsis, on the major points that have given me, in my educated mind, the facts that George does indeed have, and is dealing with this heart wrenching disease...
By all means, please do. Perhaps not 20 pages though, but an overview?

Speaking personally, I don't have the info available and would like to know more.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by phys major Mon 27 May 2013, 17:33

I would be more than happy to shed more light on this disease and will, but I have a memorial day gathering to attend..

I will try to keep it to a minimum and still emphasize the many statements he has made, that others with this disease continually make, which point me in the direction that disease is affecting him..
I will also make it clear by his "verbal" admission to certain comments, that he is a man in deep emotional pain..Which is of course part of this disease..

George also in his statements is not oblivious that he has a drinking problem..

Anyway I will get back to you on this subject as so as possible..

Ciao!

phys major
phys major

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Mon 27 May 2013, 17:46

Oh, I didn't mean right now! But yes, would love it if when you've got time you could shed more light on this.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara Garabedian Mon 27 May 2013, 17:58

I guess you might say he likes to drink, but he seems to all the time, maybe when he has a lot of pressure doing this film, and taking on the role of a director, producer, and actor. but he used to drink before this and did not stop. my brother was a drinker, and it is a disease and until the person realizes this, he will continue drinking till one day he will get very sick and either has to stop or that is it. I hope george will never get to that point. love ya george, bg

Barbara Garabedian
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 28 May 2013, 00:08

As I have said my family has a history of alcoholism. You don’t inherit the disease itself, but the addictive type of personality can be. My son-in-law is a recuperating drug addict for many years now. He had a terrible temper back then and violent at times I’ve been told.

He is the most loving guy going and does so much for me. He now is a drug councilor sometimes he goes to the prisons to give some classes etc.

I might have gone the same way as the rest of my family, however when I drank I rarely got drunk because I had to be in control of myself all the time. There is nothing worse than a female drunk.
In our restaurant we were open all night and we got what we called the bar break; where everyone came in for breakfast after the bars closed. I cannot tell you the sights that we saw; I actually had to pick one lady off the bathroom floor.

Between that an ulcer that didn’t appreciate alcohol and later my celiac diagnose ended any drinking for me. I would like to taste casamigos other than that I have no desire for drinking. The horror stories that someone can tell if they have a person close to them with this disease are sad.

Saying all this I still don’t believe that George is an alcoholic, yes he does like to drink. There is nothing wrong with that to a certain extent. As far as him having some kind of deep pain whether physical or emotional I am sure he does. That being said I don’t think that he has to drink. If he is taking certain types of pain medication he is not drinking at that time.

I also think that his persona calls for the jokes about drinking. All that started years ago when he was younger and like a lot of us drank more.
He took the weekend off and crashed but didn’t burn out. You see him have wine or the like with meals which is not bad, some say it is good to have a glass or so a day. When his responsibilities dictate he does not seem to need to drink. This is my opinion and I pray that I am right, if I’m not George please do something about it now. I Love You George and God Bless.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Tue 28 May 2013, 01:22

I think that in the past George liked to drink, aka party, with his friends, but I also think that now he has to be more concienteous of drinking since his neck surgery after Syriana. One slip causing an extreme jerk to his neck could start a myriad of issues that might put him back in the hospital.
To go out and "tie one on" everry six (or so) months with your buddies is not a drinking problem. Drinkig to the point of drunkeness every time you're not on set making movies could be a real problem.
My two cents worth
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Gal Tue 28 May 2013, 02:05

I do think that George drinks too much too often. Is he an alcoholic? I do not know as I am not an expert on that condition and I do not know him personally. However, he does have alcoholism in his family history so perhaps he may be predisposed to it. Certainly being in Hollywood for 31 years and living the type of lifestyle he leads certainly is not the best in terms of staying away from alcohol. Perhaps his medical situation(being in pain at times) has also contributed. I do think that he is able to function. With him being involved in multimillion dollar picture properties, Hollywood big shots are not going to give him the $$ to make movies if he were not responsible enough to deliver the goods. Anytime I do see pics of him looking like he had a good time, he is always with people who seem to look out for him and he always has a driver. This man did not get where he is today without thinking things through. He made it to the top of the mountain in a career that will eat you alive by hard work and perserverance. He is smart to know how to handle himself.
Carolina Gal
Carolina Gal
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 29 Jun 2013, 07:17

Ladies - yes, it's the return of the red typeface - I've copied posts from other threads about George and whether or not he drinks too much to this thread.

Before anyone replies, please remember this:

1. Let's not call anyone else names.

2. Libel is when you state something as a fact, eg: "George is alcoholic".  When you state an opinion, then it's not libellous, eg: "I think George is an alcoholic".  

For the sake of this forum I'd appreciate the use of a lot more "I think", "I believe", "it seems to me" and "IMO" in future posts.

Many thanks!

very vera wrote:Pffffttttt... not with the last picture i saw of him in a drunken stupor LOL

Joanna wrote:
 very vera wrote:Pffffttttt... not with the last picture i saw of him in a drunken stupor LOL

Watch him on you tube ?
British Humour at it's Best !

confused confused confused 

I/We were discussing Graham Norton......NOT George Clooney !
You went way off topic vv.

very vera wrote:aww He$% NO

very vera wrote:the last photo i have seen of Clooney he was dancing around drunk that ain't sexy. he lost sexy points with me when i saw that photo

annemarie wrote:I think he is sexy drunk or sober he's entitled to have fun and enjoy life he is human after all.

very vera wrote:no such thing as a sexy drunk... that's just me

it's me wrote:No
Drunk ppl is not good
At all
IMO

very vera wrote:Just trying to help here not badmouthing Clooney but he needs help
Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems, having to drink more to get the same effect (physical dependence), or having withdrawal symptoms when you rapidly decrease or stop drinking. If you have alcoholism, you can't consistently predict how much you'll drink, how long you'll drink, or what consequences will occur from your drinking.

It's possible to have a problem with alcohol, even when it has not progressed to the point of alcoholism. Problem drinking means you drink too much at times, causing repeated problems in your life, although you're not completely dependent on alcohol.

Binge drinking — a pattern of drinking where a male consumes five or more drinks in a row, or a female downs at least four drinks in a row — can lead to the same health risks and social problems associated with alcoholism. The more you drink, the greater the risks. Binge drinking, which often occurs with teenagers and young adults, may lead to faster development of alcoholism.

If you have alcoholism or you have a problem with alcohol, you may not be able to cut back or quit without help. Denying that you have a problem is usually part of alcoholism and other types of excessive drinking.

Lighterside wrote:When was the last picture of him allegedly "drunk" Vera? In London last month right?  And the time before that?  I can't remember a picture of him drunk any time before that, unless you go back at least 5 years or so when he was still with Sarah Larson.  George is NOT an alcoholic and it would be wise to stop throwing that label around, when you don't know this man personally and you have no medical degree to be "diagnosing" an illness...much less doing it online from a distance.

Mazy wrote:No one actually knows how much he was drinking, to me it looked like he had a few and was being funny dancing out of the place. From those pictures he could have had one or a hundred how do we know. I am glad that I don't have people following me every time I leave the house. Well in my case maybe they should.

I don't judge people specially from a picture. I was always told to believe half of what you think you see and next to nothing of what you hear. We see that right here we find "fake real stories," all the time. Today it's going on twitter that George slammed his hand in a car door. No date, how many years has that been? Another one going around is the news conference where the poor gay guy striped his clothes off, because of a joke that Matt said on David Letterman.

And if he was drunk that is his business we are not his Mothers. I am not a drinker but that does not mean everyone in the whole world should live their lives according to how I live mine. How do I know if I was able to drink I might become a drunkard. It is no wonder that George goes into hiding at times for some peace from us adoring fans. JMHO

Zen 

very vera wrote:he has publicly been drunk before this is not the first. i am no mother. i don't even have kids but when you are out there in public you have to be careful what you say and do. that is his job as a celebrity. Not to be shown drunk when he wants to be taken seriously which i don't anymore frankly.

that and there are way more sexier actors than him.....

Lighterside wrote:There have been occasions where the "still picture" of him exiting a restaurant seemed to indicate him staggering out and then we would get the video of the same time in question and there's no staggering when you see it happening as a flow.  It's what the paps do to sell pictures...they've been known to "create" an atmosphere, sometimes even using cat calls to upset their target, to make things look differently then they happened in real time, in order to get a better price for the pictures.

@Vera...it's more accurate to say that "you think" he's been pictured drunk but you weren't there and you really don't know ...as in indisputable facts, you believe this to be true but it's nothing more than what you're viewing from a still photo.

very vera wrote:Okay i see this is a losing battle here and you can't accept the cloonster can do no wrong....

he was drunk deal with it.

Way2Old4Dis wrote:I'm not defending GC here, because he doesn't need it. And this is way off topic anyway. I'm hoping the "alcoholic" posts are moved (to a thread I won't read) or deleted entirely. I find them libelous.

That said...

I come from a family in which the men of the previous two (at least) generations were high-functioning alcoholics. At the risk of being an internet diag-noser, I can spot them a mile off. George Clooney is not an alcoholic. He likes to drink; that's obvious. So do a lot of people. Most of them don't have an endless crew of photographers and fans following them around when they happen to indulge.

As far as I know, George has never missed a set call as an actor or director. Colleagues flock to work with him. He gets his (high-level) jobs done. Nobody has to cover for him. His financial and social responsibilities are met. No one has ever accused him of being inappropriate or abusive. And finally, he has publicly acknowledged the times in his life when he himself thought he was drinking too much, and either cut back or stopped completely for a while -- willingly and voluntarily.

None of that says "alcoholic." To call him one is mean-spirited and petty, IMO, and reeks of some unspoken and probably irrational and/or imaginary issue personal issue with him.

Lakin460 wrote:Thank you, W2O4D!  (reminds me of WD40 everytime your username is abbreviated.....)
Anyway, thank you for voicing what many of us here think and doing it so succinctly.  My dad was a functioning alcoholic, not so highly, but he managed to keep a job.  And he was a very intelligent, articulate man.  So I'm familiar this subject.  May the armchair diagnosis end here.

Nicky80 wrote:
very vera wrote:Okay i see this is a losing battle here and you can't accept the cloonster can do no wrong....

he was drunk deal with it.

I think every person can do something wrong even George Clooney and I think all of us know that he is not perfect but good enough to be a great part of our lives/heart.

And I think we all "dealt" with it that he was "drunk" but to be drunk and to be an alcoholic are two different things. How can you call yourself a "fan" when you spread a rumor like those gossip news papers. It is easy to judge and difficult to discuss anyway. So believe it if you want but let us/or some of us believe what we want. Everyone has they believes.

My mum was an alcoholic as well and believe me after a while you will not be able to hide it anymore and do your work. So if you are right one day we will all know as it will be in the news otherwise let's just keep quite.

Who knows who else is reading this forum. Don't want to read somewhere that GC Fans think he is an alcoholic. I want to read that he is a great actor and person and anything else is private which can be discussed but should be done without judgement.

And more I do not comment on that alcoholic threat.

Nicky80 wrote:
lux wrote:no drink?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Can you see that George is looking at her while they drink the shot. Maybe he is surprised too and wants to make sure she drinks it all. Funny look. Or is it just me who sees that   Embarassed 

very vera wrote:Pfffttt and you think he doesn't have a drinking problem? If it's swept under the rug he will never get help. I am just concerned

noodle wrote:So every person pictured with a drink has a drinking problem? I don't think so.

lelacorb wrote:I have the impression that this tread is frequentto by people who do not know the pleasure of drinking one, two or three glasses of wine and dinner with the coke. I'm sorry you do not know what you're missing!

very vera wrote:
noodle wrote:So every person pictured with a drink has a drinking problem? I don't think so.

No of course not oh sarcastic one but when there is a long stream of drinking pictures like his. it is concerning and i love a glass of wine with dinner

LornaDoone wrote:
lelacorb wrote:I have the impression that this tread is frequentto by people who do not know the pleasure of drinking one, two or three glasses of wine and dinner with the coke. I'm sorry you do not know what you're missing!

With the coke!!!  Well yes, I'm one who doesn't do wine with coke - or coke at all so that's one experience on which I'll pass!

But hey, you got any stories to tell of your experiences with wine and coke  - pass them on!  Very Happy 

lelacorb wrote:
LornaDoone wrote:

With the coke!!!  Well yes, I'm one who doesn't do wine with coke - or coke at all so that's one experience on which I'll pass!

But hey, you got any stories to tell of your experiences with wine and coke  - pass them on!  Very Happy 

I do not know if I explained well, I could never have dinner drinking cola but here it seems to me that people are afraid to drink a good glass of wine that is natural and then fill the stomach of coke that a mixture of dyes chemical. What I wanted to say is "you drink a good glass of wine that has never hurt anyone!

Nicky80 wrote:
lelacorb wrote:
LornaDoone wrote:

I do not know if I explained well, I could never have dinner drinking cola but here it seems to me that people are afraid to drink a good glass of wine that is natural and then fill the stomach of coke that a mixture of dyes chemical. What I wanted to say is "you drink a good glass of wine that has never hurt anyone!

Agree with you.

Lakin460 wrote:Not to mention that wine aids in digestion of your meal and is good for your heart, while cola errodes the enamel on your teeth and leeches the minerals from your bones.  The choice is simple to me!

Nicky80 wrote:
Lakin460 wrote:Not to mention that wine aids in digestion of your meal and is good for your heart, while cola errodes the enamel on your teeth and leeches the minerals from your bones.  The choice is simple to me!

True I saw a docu once where they said that one glas of "red" wine "every" evening can be healthy for heart and other things. If I remeber correctly it is only healthy if the wine was stored in a barrel first. Apparantly it is the combindation with the wood the barrel is made from..........

The next mrs clooney wrote:I'm all for a good glass of wine and a piece of cake at dinner. Drink 3 

theminis wrote:This may seem a strange comment but my urologist who operated on my kidney many years ago told me that if I want to have a drink to stick to red wine only, that your kidney has trouble processing anything other than water, but red wine has many other benefits - so yep I follow Drs orders and cake is good for the soul (or at least Im claiming it).  

LornaDoone wrote:Oh y'all were talking about coca cola!  Geesh I thought you were talking about cocaine!  My bad!  brahahahaha!!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Sat 29 Jun 2013, 08:49

My standard is (generally)
1) if it's not affecting your work.(clearly not in G case)
2) if it's not affecting your family/relationships....don't know?
3) IME people who are abusing alcohol....usually can't help blatant lying.....jmo......X

G just having a good time....I think....x
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Sat 29 Jun 2013, 09:48

I don't think he's an alcoholic at all.

I think he's a recreational drinker who likes to let loose every now & then.
Maybe sing loudly & boisterously, flirt with ladies, skinny dip....that kind of thing.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:36

what would he say wrote:My standard is (generally)
1) if it's not affecting your work.(clearly not in G case)
2) if it's not affecting your family/relationships....don't know?
3) IME people who are abusing alcohol....usually can't help blatant lying.....jmo......X
I'm not convinced he's an alkie (and not offended by anyone who thinks otherwise, I'm open) but I would say that we've no idea whether or not drinking affects his work. As I say, I don't think he's an alcoholic, but functional alcoholics are just that: functional.

As for relationships and lying, I've no way of measuring either of those for him!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:37

I THINK he may have a problem bu that's just me maybe and please don't jump on me for having an opinion. I just remember him drunk at the Oscars and that ain't cool.....
The Oscars where he had the flask

very vera
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Picachu Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:47

VV no disrespect but just because he had a hip flask and had had a tipple at the oscars does not make him a drunk, unless you are in his company 24 hours a day you really do not know what he gets up too and certainly how often he drinks but yes as you state you are entitled to your opinion
Picachu
Picachu
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 12:02

There have been numerous sightings of him with alcohol and I THINK the numerous accounts do add up. not just four or five accounted but NUMEROUS i have noticed these things

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:16

Numerous sightings do not make him an alcoholic Vera.  He's a social drinker and he drinks when he's at a party or an event for his career like most people do.  I think he knows when he's going overboard and he has enough self control to cut back when that happens.  He's mentioned that in interviews.

I am not a drinker.  In fact you can count on one hand the number of times in my life I've ever been drunk.  But I'm sure the paps could make it look like I'm a drunk if I was in the public eye and caught out after having one drink because I would stagger a bit since I'm not used to drinking...especially if there were flash blubs involved.  That wouldn't make me an alcoholic, although I might appear to be one in pictures of me.

The point is that you are basing your opinions upon still pictures, which I will reiterate, have in the past been debunked when it comes to George "staggering" out of a restaurant.  We've later seen video of the same event, when it's released days or weeks later and there is NO staggering but it appeared that way when you looked at the way the "still pictures" were taken and displayed.  You can play all kinds of games with pictures when you want to sell a certain point of view and the gossip magazines are in business to make more money by catching celebrities doing something "bad".  So when they can't find it...they manufacture it.

My objection was to the label you were placing on George, here in a public forum...nothing personal and nothing more than that. Words do matter and you could do damage to his reputation and career without meaning to.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:21

At most of the public occasions or group dinners where we see George, alcohol is going to be served. You could probably pick most other celebs there and find many pictures of them with a glass in their hand or on their table also. As we've learned here many times still pictures prove nothing. If there were many occasions where video showed him obviously drunk that might be different. I don't know if he has a problem with alcohol or not. My guess would be he overindulges at times when he knows he can and cuts back when he's working or when his body tells him to.
We do all have a right to our opinions but we don't have the right to tell others they are wrong and they should just deal with it as you did Vera. And we don't have the right to make statements of fact that may not be the truth. We all just have opinions...no matter how much we may think we are right.

noodle

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:22

whatever Lighterside i want an apology for calling me names yesterday which is actually banned on this board by the way......

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:27

Have a nice day Vera...we're done talking about this now.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:33

Lighterside wrote:Have a nice day Vera...we're done talking about this now.

That's fine i will let Katie decide what to do about you name calling yesterday
By the way no apology from you says a million words......
if you don't apologize for your actions
well.. lets just say what comes around goes around i just hope i get to hear about it

i am a firm believer in people who apologize realize they did or said something wrong and if they don't apologize then they are not that big of a person and i don't think much of you right now dearie

by the way for those people who are nice to me i can be their best friend but those who cross me or call me names......

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:37

very vera wrote:I THINK he may have a problem bu that's just me maybe and please don't jump on me for having an opinion. I just remember him drunk at the Oscars and that ain't cool.....
The Oscars where he had the flask

Oscars are a big celebration. Like for us a Christmas party from our company. Ever seen sombody sober LOL Cool  Just saying.....
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:42

Can I just say the whole "Oscars and the flask" incident was a joke...he was supposed to be acting ticked off etc....he may like to overindulge but I would think he wouldn't at such an occasion...again it was a joke that didn't go over very well.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 14:49

Ah didn't know were it was relatet to. Thought she meant George drunk alcohol at the Oscars but didn't see what's wrong with that as everyone would drink something at the Oscars. That's why I comment .
Not familiar with the "Oscars and the flask" Embarassed 
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:04

very vera wrote:
Lighterside wrote:Have a nice day Vera...we're done talking about this now.

That's fine i will let Katie decide what to do about you name calling yesterday
By the way no apology from you says a million words......
if you don't apologize for your actions
well.. lets just say what comes around goes around i just hope i get to hear about it

i am a firm believer in people who apologize realize they did or said something wrong and if they don't apologize then they are not that big of a person and i don't think much of you right now dearie

by the way for those people who are nice to me i can be their best friend but those who cross me or call me names......

Vera, ok I'll play...did you apologize for calling George an alcoholic, which is what started this conversation?  No, I thought not.  And did you apologize to noodle for calling her "sarcastic one"?  Again no, you didn't because you didn't seem to care what you said to or about others, you would like to make this about you and only you.  I suggest you examine at that.  

You came here yesterday disparaging George and making rude comments on multiple threads trying to get a reaction and you got one.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:14

okay no apology...She was being sarcastic and she got a response end of story... and I'm aware that things are not all about me . I was the one who had a Showcase 4 Sudan Hellooooo

i think everyone should look at my avatar and learn something. i am thinking of others here when i posted this...

Nice try hot shot

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:22

Maybe there was too much emotions involved in this discussion which heated up a little.   Quarrel 1

And sometimes people say thinks without thinking to libel someone as people want to make their point clear. And I think everyone did in different ways. Nobody should take anything personal.

Maybe everyone should call it "even" and  move on.  No?  

As far as I see it. You both have a strong pride which is great. But because of that I guess you can only let it go now and try to forget about it.
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:30

i gave you a greenie Nicky. I hope we can all learn something from this Very Happy 

I am good to move on. too bad there was no apology for name calling though.

Thanks Nicky

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:45

For the record. I was not being sarcastic by my comment. You shouldn't use a picture to make a statement about George when the other people in the photo are doing the same thing. If it applies to him it should also apply to them.

noodle

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:54

there have been numerous photos of him drinking which one are you talking about?

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 29 Jun 2013, 15:56

Mmmm
Interesting avatar Vera
Why this choice my friend?

And anyway I guess there was a lot s water
In his glasses
Lately
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 16:06

because there are people on here who need to read this.....

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 29 Jun 2013, 16:09

Where do you put the time
In this thought?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Sat 29 Jun 2013, 16:12

Vera I was referring to the photo you commented on in this thread.

noodle

Back to top Go down

Post by very vera Sat 29 Jun 2013, 16:12

that's a good question i am usually very busy but lately i have been posting and noticing some could use it

very vera

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 29 Jun 2013, 16:19

Yes, we ALL can learn something from it, eh?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next