George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends?

+4
bamboochacha
Lighterside
LornaDoone
Katiedot
8 posters

Go down

George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? Empty George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends?

Post by Katiedot Sun 26 May 2013, 16:58

This was taken from a comment in another thread about a book about George because I thought it was an interesting discussion point:

LornaDoone wrote:Now to Chapter 1 - already I've found comments very interesting.

Spoiler:

So that's as far as I've gotten - barely into the book and on one hand seem to be getting validation for what I've been saying for a long time. And on the other learning of George's connections when he was starting out and how he often does not forget those with whom he has worked in the past. (I'm sure whether in a positive or negative way - because IMO, I doubt George will be signing up for work with David O. Russell anytime soon). I also doubt we've seen the last of George's nepotistic casting or hiring of friends.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? Empty Re: George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends?

Post by LornaDoone Sun 26 May 2013, 17:01

Hmm, I didn't really think about a "casting couch" type of connotation but now I wonder if dating someone then putting her in your films or developing a series around her be considered a casting couch scenario - such as he did with Krista.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends? Empty Re: George Clooney: nepotism? casting couch? or just helping out friends?

Post by Katiedot Sun 26 May 2013, 17:03

I think it's a question of how you look at it; it could be called nepotism, or as you've said, it could simply be called helping out friends and paying back favours done for him.

Whether it's a good or bad thing depends on your viewpoint I think. Is Waldo Sanchez the best hairstylist in all of Hollywood? Possibly not, but then does George Clooney actually need the best stylist ever? If not, then it doesn't really matter that he's hiring a friend.

I am interested in occasional claims of casting couch behaviour (I think Krista Allen always comes up in this discussion). I've never made up my mind about that.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 26 May 2013, 17:27

Despite his "after the fact" denial that they never dated, I've seen pictures to the contrary and I really do believe he had strong feelings for Krista. One of the most telling photos was of a time he and she did not know that any paps were around and they were photographed walking back to his car from dinner.

Their body language, the way they held hands and both were leaning against each other was the type of connection that you see with people who are in love.

So I don't know if casting couch could be an accurate account of why he put her in his projects at the time. Even though some could argue that it was technically correct, in this instance I really feel he promoted her because he really cared about her and wasn't just doing it because she had sex with him.

Casting couch to me means someone in power using that power to get a sexual favor from someone who is trying to get a job from that person. And the other side of that is that the person who gives the sexual favor does so despite having a distaste for the person in power or for the situation.

I didn't see that with George and Krista. I don't think there was any distaste on either of their parts -- of the relationship or the situation.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 26 May 2013, 17:42

Oh I'm sure they dated, several times. I'm not so sure he had any meaningful feelings for her though.

Casting couch is hard to define in this case. I think he cast her in CoaDM before he slept with her so that could be misinterpreted by some.

Anyway, he's never let himself get in that position again where he might be accused of casting couch. Let's be honest, he barely casts women in his films at all.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sun 26 May 2013, 18:00

Many actors work with the same people over and over again. It's not that uncommon to want to work on more than one project with people you have great creative chemistry with and people like Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson and Johnny Depp all have reputations for doing exactly that.

I agree with Lorna on the Krista relationship. I think he had true feelings for her but her past was too hard to overcome and it would have affected his career adversely in some way, at that time. I'm sure it wouldn't have done insurmountable damage but he was just starting in the director's chair and I don't think the timing was good to bring in any personal controversy to have to overcome in the media.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Sun 26 May 2013, 19:51

none of the above. he is, plain and simple, a stepping stone.
bamboochacha
bamboochacha
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 26 May 2013, 19:55

bamboochacha wrote:none of the above. he is, plain and simple, a stepping stone.

Wow bam, you really believe all of the women who have dated him have only done so to further their careers?

That not one had any feelings for him?
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Sun 26 May 2013, 21:04

what do you think?
bamboochacha
bamboochacha

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 27 May 2013, 03:42

Don’t you think anyone can fall for George? that is ridiculous. He would be very easy to have feelings for. Good looking kind a genuine decent person. That is a very jaded outlook. Not everyone has ulterior motives; sometimes they just like another person.

As far as who they put in projects I don’t believe George or many others are going to use someone that is not going to be a plus. I also think that if you have worked with someone before and find their work to be exemplary you are apt to use them again if the project is suitable to their talents. Seems to me that would only be practicable and make common sense.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by bamboochacha Mon 27 May 2013, 04:00

yeah right ganges. Sleep
bamboochacha
bamboochacha

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 27 May 2013, 04:07

bamboochacha wrote:yeah right ganges. Sleep

Well I guess that kind of ends the conversation, as I have no answer for this remake. Have a good one.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Mon 27 May 2013, 15:55

Mazy wrote:
bamboochacha wrote:yeah right ganges. Sleep

Well I guess that kind of ends the conversation, as I have no answer for this remake. Have a good one.

Zen

ditto
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Tue 28 May 2013, 02:52

I think furthering their career might have been the starting point, but what girl couldnt know George and not fall for him ?
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 28 May 2013, 04:07

playfuldeb wrote:I think furthering their career might have been the starting point, but what girl couldnt know George and not fall for him ?

You are so right... There are many of us here that we do not really know George and have fallen for him. Myself definitely and I know others here feel the same in varying degrees.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Tue 28 May 2013, 14:28

Katiedot wrote:Oh I'm sure they dated, several times. I'm not so sure he had any meaningful feelings for her though.

Casting couch is hard to define in this case. I think he cast her in CoaDM before he slept with her so that could be misinterpreted by some.

Anyway, he's never let himself get in that position again where he might be accused of casting couch. Let's be honest, he barely casts women in his films at all.

That's true, but then he did cast her as one of the leads in that HBO show while they were together. I doubt she was the best actress he could get for that role. I think Krista is the only one this has ever been an issue with, and IMO is a reflection of his bouncing around from one d-lister to another. No one questions when Tom Hanks gives Rita Wilson a small role in one of his films.
Missa
Missa
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Wed 29 May 2013, 05:33

Very true.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Thu 30 May 2013, 04:42

Good point about Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 30 May 2013, 12:40

BUT, they're married and she is talented!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Thu 30 May 2013, 17:37

melbert wrote:BUT, they're married and she is talented!

Right, that's kind of my point. If he were settled down with a semi-talented actress and put her in a project, probably no one would care. It's plopping the latest girl in a role that could be much better played by another actress (a la Krista in that HBO show) that leads to "casting couch" suggestions.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 31 May 2013, 00:51

It seems to me like everything else about George's personality, he sticks with people and things that he's comfortable with. Like we always say when he likes something; be it a friend, restaurant, shirt or even glasses he sticks with them. He has a loyalty to people and things that work well for him.

Not saying that he won't try someone new if the part suited them and not one of his usual choices. The project comes first if he thought someone different was a better choice I think he would go with them. However he is not a fad person that jumps to whatever is the latest flash in the pan. I kinda think he has created a policy for himself not to hire GFs for these projects, which is a good thing. I'm sure he has had a problem somewhere along the line with that.

All in all I think that George is going to use the best he can get for any given project. JMHO

Zen

Last edited by Mazy on Fri 31 May 2013, 03:58; edited 1 time in total
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Missa Fri 31 May 2013, 01:56

One of George's greatest talents as a director, I think, is his ability to cast the right people in the right roles. He goes after people who wouldn't necessarily be anyone else's first choice, and they end up being perfect for the part. I'm thinking specifically of Sam Rockwell in Confessions and David Strathairn in GNGL, but I think it applies across the board. The cast for MM is spectacular, and not just filled with big names and old friends but really terrific actors.

That's what makes the casting of Krista stick out like a sore thumb to me.She seems like a nice enough girl, but she can't act her way out of a paper bag. He had to recognize how terrible she was, and yet didn't just give her a small part in the project to help her out but cast her as one of the three leads. In some way, he put his personal life head of his work, which I think we can all agree is not his style. There´s so much about his relationship with Krista that seems different from all his others, and this is one of them. Of all the girlfriends, she is the one I'd like to have a chat with, just to find out what the heck went on.
Missa
Missa

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 31 May 2013, 02:13

Missa wrote:
That's what makes the casting of Krista stick out like a sore thumb to me.She seems like a nice enough girl, but she can't act her way out of a paper bag. He had to recognize how terrible she was, and yet didn't just give her a small part in the project to help her out but cast her as one of the three leads.
But, if I remember correctly, pretty much everybody sucked in Unscripted.
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down