George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga?

+11
OofOof
lovelylois
pattygirl
melbert
fluffy
Joanna
bellybaby
fava
it's me
Dexterdidit
Katiedot
15 posters

Go down

Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? Empty Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga?

Post by Katiedot Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:50

I'm sure I've read this before but the search feature on this site is not cooperating with me today!  I'm still having a hard time picturing George doing regular yoga classes.  

From express inida

The Balancing Pose

VIDYA PRABHU

Posted: Jan 03, 2012

In the business of glamour, celebrities are ready to pay any price for fitness and a well-sculpted body. Some years ago, when popstar Beyonce Knowles was refused a private session by Bikram Choudhury, the founder of Bikram Yoga, she paid fees for an entire class of his and made her family and friends practise along with her. Such, they say, could be the draw of Choudhury and his brand of yoga, practised in a room with 40 degrees Celsius temperature.

Nearly four decades ago, Choudhury left India and life has come a full circle for him. The multimillionaire founder of Bikram Yoga was born and brought up in Kolkata, where he learned yoga under the tutelage of yogi Bishnu Ghosh. Today, the California-based yoga guru has returned to his country of birth to sell Bikram Yoga.

Choudhury, who recently opened his first centre in Mumbai, admits that he doesn’t know why it took so long to bring this discipline to his own country. “I guess the delay happened because I was busy with centres across the globe. By the end of 2012, I hope to set up 10 more centres in India, including Bangalore, Delhi and Chennai,” he says.

His yoga, comprising 26 hatha-yoga postures — practiced in an extremely hot room — has received both awe and criticism from yoga practitioners across the world. Particularly stinging is the perception of it being a glamourous, ‘sexed up’ variant of yoga.

In India too, health and fitness experts cast their doubts over the effectiveness of Bikram Yoga. Dr Aijaz Ashai, head of the Department of physiotherapy at Mumbai’s Saifee Hospital, points out that the high temperature can spell trouble for people with high blood pressure. “In a city like Mumbai, where stress levels run high, I am not sure how practising yoga in such heat can be helpful,” he says.

Rajvi Mehta, who has been teaching Iyengar yoga since 1979, notes that a person’s suitability for such a rigorous session depends on age, health status and flexibility.

Choudhury, on the other hand, brushes aside the flak. “I will make my detractors experience Bikram Yoga and then talk about it,” says the 65-year-old, who already has 8,000 Bikram Yoga centres in over 65 countries and counts celebs such as George Clooney, Lady Gaga, Robbie Williams and Kobe Bryant among his clients.

No wonder then, Choudhury has raked in a lot of money over the years; it’s his sturdy bank balance that fuels his next big passion after yoga: luxury and vintage cars. Choudhury has a garage filled with gleaming Bentleys and Rolls-Royces, including cars once owned by Queen Elizabeth and the Beatles. “There’s nothing wrong with material things as long as one doesn’t lie, cheat and steal. Besides, I bought the luxury cars as ‘wrecks’ and restored them. Through my unique brand of yoga, I do the same thing with the vehicle that is the human body,” he says.

Last edited by Katiedot on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 03:43; edited 1 time in total
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? Empty Re: Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga?

Post by Dexterdidit Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:19

George has joked about it but I don't see him doing yoga. Even though the girls he has dated have done it, I just don't see George doing a downward dog. Well not for exercise anyway! LOL
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? Empty Re: Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga?

Post by it's me Tue 03 Jan 2012, 12:05

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

would be nice to see him doing that
in a HOOOT room.... Razz
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Tue 03 Jan 2012, 13:15

I was wondering about the flexibility he showed in The American. could that come from doing yoga? I don't believe it about Bikram though-- I don't think you can do it at home and I can't see him going to a studio with a bunch of other folks.

fava
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Tue 03 Jan 2012, 13:16

....I don't know...he was pretty limber in The American...... Surprised

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby Tue 03 Jan 2012, 13:17

Haha! Must have been posting at the same time!

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 03 Jan 2012, 13:29

fava wrote:I was wondering about the flexibility he showed in The American. could that come from doing yoga? I don't believe it about Bikram though-- I don't think you can do it at home and I can't see him going to a studio with a bunch of other folks.

True ! Think of the farts lol!
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy Tue 03 Jan 2012, 13:51

I practice "Savasana" all the time!!! Try it!! drunken
fluffy
fluffy
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 03 Jan 2012, 14:21

I can't even bend over to tie my shoes, so if I even GOT into any of those positions, I'd never get out!!!! I think that George does practice some form of yoga which would account for "those" scenes in The American. mmmm - yummy!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Tue 03 Jan 2012, 14:25

Was thinking the same thing about TA when I saw #15 Sit-up but I can't see him doing most of those other moves. Considering his workout room at Oleandra, yoga doesn't seem like it would cut it.

lol!
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelylois Tue 03 Jan 2012, 14:34

I do twice a week Vinyasa FLow Yoga class which is a system of linking poses which creates a continuous flow of energy. It is great stuff. My instructor also does a private one-to-one classes in people's houses. I could see a yoga instructor coming to his house once a week. I have tried Bikram yoga and it is hard. Lately, I am not quite sure he could do Bikram yoga with a bad shoulder. Even with yoga you have to be careful with injury.

lovelylois
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 03 Jan 2012, 14:37

Savasana seems interesting! Sleep

hey!
his surgery?????????????
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Tue 03 Jan 2012, 15:15

We haven't heard anything recent It's Me. With the awards coming up, is he waiting? Or will he have it in the middle of awards so he doesn't have to shake hands or give hugs?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Tue 03 Jan 2012, 15:25

Dexterdidit wrote: I just don't see George doing a downward dog.
Although we did see him teach an interviewer (was it David Letterman? Leno?) to do downward dog on TV a couple of years ago and he seemed quite authoritative. Maybe he's picked up a few tricks from all of his yoga-teaching exes over the years?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is George Clooney really a Follower of Bikram Yoga? Empty Is George a Follower of Bikram Yoga?

Post by OofOof Fri 22 Mar 2013, 17:17

So in my ever increasing desire to waste time, I googled George for some new stuff that doesn't involve splitting up or getting back together with Stacy and found this little item:

Devotee has accused the guru to Madonna and Demi Moore of asking for sexual favours.

Sarah Baughn was wooed by Bikram Choudhury as part of a pattern of behaviour which included asking female followers for massages and sexual favour, the ex-student alleged in a lawsuit.

“My wife is such a bitch, you have no idea,” said Bikram Choudhury. “She is terrible to me. She is so mean. You have to save me.”

Baughn, a model for Lululemon yoga clothes and a yoga teacher has filed the suit at Los Angeles Superior Court.

Baughn, 29, said Choudhury, 67, pursued her for years and then sabotaged her Bikram career after she refused his advances.

Choudhury counts Madonna, George Clooney and Demi Moore among his followers.

Baughn, 29, said Choudhury screened his female students, choosing the most devoted “to brush his hair and massage his body.”

Baughn said she was inspired by the classes — held in rooms heated to 100 degrees — since 2005 and enrolled in teacher-training seminar in LA.

“I know you from a past life. We have a connection. It is amazing. Should we make this a relationship?” Choudhury allegedly told her.

Baughn’s suit alleges, he pushed the star student “down toward the floor after pulling her arm and leg apart and opening her body” where he “pressed his body into hers and began whispering sexual things [until] she collapsed into sobs.”

Choudhury even “rigged the outcome” at a 2008 yoga competition so Baughn — considered a shoe-in for first place — came in second to a student who was sharing Choudhury’s hotel room, according to the lawsuit.

Choudhury, who was sued last year by another woman who said the guru routinely made sexually explicit and inappropriate remarks at teacher-training seminars, could not be reached for comment.

I'm a Pilates nut and tried Bikram once. Think maybe because I'm from Alaska, it was just too hot for me and I really worried about some of the others in the room. They keep the temps up to at least 100 (farenheit) and many of the women around me looked as though they were going to pass out!

For some reason, I just can't see George being into this but maybe I'm way off? Anyone know if this is just another way to insert George's name into an article or if it's true?
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 22 Mar 2013, 23:11

I read so were awhile back that he was into some kind of new yoga, I don't know what the name of it was and I think it was before SK. It was an article so maybe it can be tracked down. Hope that helps. I lived in Fairbanks for about a year way back.
Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 22 Mar 2013, 23:21

Just googled 'Clooney and yoga' and there it all is.............a devotee

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 23 Mar 2013, 00:20

Yes, we have a thread for it here already somewhere. I kind of doubt this story somehow. Ah, here we go: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 23 Mar 2013, 02:40

He definitely had the "moves" in The American! And, all his "girls" have done or are doing and/or teaching yoga. Except Cindy.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 23 Mar 2013, 04:50

He's somewhat familiar with the names of the positions: I remember him getting a talk-show host (Leno? Letterman?) to do downward facing dog.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sat 23 Mar 2013, 05:30

I saw him doing the dog on Leno .

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 01 Mar 2014, 03:42

I've just been reading the scandal about Bikram and again George's name comes up as an adherent of his yoga. Has anyone ever come across any news about George doing bikram yoga?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 01 Mar 2014, 04:27

Katiedot wrote:I've just been reading the scandal about Bikram and again George's name comes up as an adherent of his yoga.  Has anyone ever come across any news about George doing bikram yoga?

I have but at the moment I'm not sure where I'll check and see if I have any articles on it.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by jd68 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 05:38

I practice Bikram yoga. It's actually wonderful people with back problems - so I wouldn't be surprised if GC does it.
jd68
jd68
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down