I forgot my password

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

suggestions please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

suggestions please!

Post by Hapki on Mon Dec 03 2012, 02:59

Hey everyone!

I need a little help. I'm trying to figure out a way to make a bit of extra cash, but I'm coming up blank for anything that might actually make money. I've tried getting a second job, however, things being what they are I've had no luck so far. So then I thought I'd make and sell afghans. I'm really good at it but, after doing some research on their marketability, .... well there isn't a market for them. Not really. I'm working on becoming certified to tutor through wyzant, but it's taking a while and the rural area I'm in may not provide much in the way of folks being able to afford help.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't have a lot of "hard" skills. Most of what I know would fall into the "soft" skills category. A friend suggested I become a life coach, mostly because I've helped him in the past. He's the only one who ever asks for my advice, tho, so I'm not sure I'd be much help to anyone else. (Self - esteem might be an issue too. lol )

The other thing is - I'd like to do the work mostly online if possible. I can be home with the kids that way and I think that's important.

suggestions?

Hapki
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Re: suggestions please!

Post by m4rose on Mon Dec 03 2012, 03:17

Look into becoming a virtual assistant. I am to an author and I work from home. Just a thought.

m4rose
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Mon Dec 03 2012, 03:31

Can you bake? And are you reasonably near a post office or somewhere where you can easily pack and ship items? If so, home-made goodies, free from additives and stuff, could be something to look into.

There's also a market for things like bespoke hand-knitted or hand-crocheted items if you can do that.

It's not so much finding a service that you provide that's the issue, it's promoting that service to your potential clients.

There are a number of work-from-home schemes such as making greetings cards and so on that I've heard about. I don't know how feasible they are and I also don't know how trustworthy the companies are.

Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl on Mon Dec 03 2012, 03:46

I know that there are lots of consignment shops popping up....your afghans might sell there. Also doesn't the online shop Etsy take home made items? Something to check into. Good luck!

http://www.etsy.com/sell?ref=so_sell

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category on Mon Dec 03 2012, 07:44

Translator (if you can speak many languages)
blogger (if you can write interesting things & take good photos)
telemarketer (if you have a good voice and skills to talk to people convincingly)

Interior decorator is more difficult, anyone can become one, but requires real talent and "taste" in order to succeed as one.

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapki on Tue Dec 04 2012, 02:23

Very Happy Hug1

Thank you all for those suggestions! I hadn't thought of the consignment shops for the afghans. And I have no problem making them to specifications (thanks Katie foe the vocab lesson! I hadn't heard the word bespoke used that way.).

Oddly enough, my new apt is directly across from the post office so the baking is also a possibility. Heck, shipping anything is possible!

I hadn't considered being a virtual assistant, but, considering that what I've done for the last 15 years has been reception/assistant work it wouldn't be completely foreign to me. m4rose do you mind if I pm you about it?

Best - the only thing I could do from your list is the blogger. I only know the polite/courtesy words in most languages. You know, like "please", "thank you", "good bye" ..... But writing i like! Enough that I'm a volunteer writer for the local co-ops newsletter. So that I could do - but then I have to figure out what people want to read about. That's where I always fall flat. And why I'm asking for your help, and why I think Katie hit the nail on the head when she said the real issue is promoting what I do.

BUT - now that I have a bunch of really good ideas I'm going to go see if I can make one or more of them work.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Hapki
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Tue Dec 04 2012, 05:10

If you like writing, then you can set yourself up as a kind of copywriter and proofreader. There are so many people who aren't so confident about their written skills that they'd love someone to take a look over important stuff for them, whether it's business writing or placing adverts etc.

Google companies who offer copywriting services to international companies and contact them to see if they'd take you on. All of the hotel chains I've worked for used these companies to make sure that web content etc is written correctly especially for hotels abroad where written English is a bit of mystery.

Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Tue Dec 04 2012, 05:20

My daughter just set up a site on-line to sell hand made jewelry, maybe you could try selling your items on-line.

lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Tue Dec 04 2012, 13:08

great idea!!!! Thumbs up!

it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapki on Tue Dec 04 2012, 22:21

Katie I was thinking about doing the copywriting/proofreading bit locally since there's a large university just down the street. I was concerned that the writing center wouldn't like the competition, especially since most folks who do that charge around $30/hour for the service. I kinda doubt the students would like to pay that amount. Then I thought I could lower the hourly rate, add in checking for plagiarism (that's always a concern for students who don't know how to write well.), and charge a combined rate to cover the cost of the plagiarism check. There's also a lot of businesses with folks who apparently can't be bothered to check their own writing. But like you said, marketing is my main issue. And fear. That always makes things harder.

Lucy I am planning on setting up my own site. I just don't know exactly how to do it yet or what to put on it.

Course, I suppose I could start my own Clooney site. Very Happy Wink Just to see if I can do it correctly of course! lol

Hapki
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me on Tue Dec 04 2012, 22:36

Thumbs up! go girl! Very Happy

it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Wed Dec 05 2012, 10:01

Go for it! But unless you charge to join, you won't make any money from it and lose several hours every day on it.

Talk about a project of love, sigh.

Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapki on Wed Dec 05 2012, 23:59

LOL

I was only joking. I'd never try to compete with you Katie! Hug1

Hapki
Shy poster

Back to top Go down