George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan

+2
silly girl
Katiedot
6 posters

Go down

George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan Empty George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan

Post by Katiedot Sun 21 Oct 2012, 18:51

While 'fans' were critiquing Stacy's hair, makeup and dress at the Carousel of Hope gala (shallow? never!), George was focusing on something important:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan

by Marc Malkin Today 10:13 AM PDT

George Clooney continued his quest last night to stop the atrocities occurring in Sudan.

"We hear these slogans and say them a lot—"not on our watch," "never again"—but the truth is that when it comes to innocent people being slaughtered, it always happens on our watch," the Oscar-winner said at last night's Carousel of Hope Ball, where he was honored with the Brass Ring Award. "It happens again and again and again."

Clooney said he is dedicated to helping end President Omar al-Bashir's horrific reign over Sudan.

"The truth is…were going to have to find lots of ways to make life miserable for people who make lives miserable," he said. "And more importantly…we have to continue to make life bearable for those whose situation has become unbearable."

One of Clooney's most impressive endeavors is financing a satellite that focuses on Sudan.

"It's an area that journalists can't get into," he said. "There's a good reason they can't get in is because the president of Sudan Omar al-Bishir is consistently and constantly killing innocent civilians."

George got himself arrested protesting outside the Sudanese embassy in Washington, D.C.

Clooney said Bashir, who has been charged with war crimes against humanity, has publicly complained about the satellite.

"President Bashir posed the question, ‘How would Mr. Clooney like it if everywhere he went cameras were following him?'" Clooney said as the crowded ballroom erupted in laughter.

The actor added with a smile, "It sounds terrible."

"You can't make people do the right things," Clooney said, "but you can make it harder for them to do the wrong things."

The event, held at the Beverly Hilton, benefits the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes. Clooney's girlfriend Stacy Keibler was by his side. They sat at a table with Sidney Poitier, Jane Fonda, Quincy Jones, David Foster, Clive Davis and CAA honcho Bryan Lourd.

American Idol star Jessica Sanchez performed "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going."

"I just want to dedicate this song to George Clooney," the 17-year-old singer said before belting out her jaw-dropping rendition of the Dreamgirls song.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan Empty Re: George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan

Post by silly girl Sun 21 Oct 2012, 18:58

I am glad that ENews posted this since they are usually just about the Red Carpet. I liked his speech. He is correct in saying atrocities will always be around but that doesn't mean we need to stop trying to stop them.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan Empty Re: George Clooney: We Have to "Make Life Miserable" for President of Sudan

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:01

Thanks Katie for refocusing us on what's really important! I'd never read the Daily Mail or many of the other entertainment sites...mostly a news junky before COH... but the shallow level of coverage and the sometimes visceral nastiness you find on those sites is sad and exhausting! Obviously, from the speech above, he went to this event to shed light on both the cause of the night and his own work for Sudan. While I do think he may have a skewed view of women, (not sure I'd go so far as to call him misogynistic) you have to give him nothing but respect for being truly concerned and engaged about a place in the world most would like to forget. And, unlike many stars, he's put his money where his mouth is!
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:46

Oh, don't get me wrong: I'm all for gossip and entertainment.

It's just that this time, in conjuction with George's speech, his award and the money raised for charity, the comments about his girlfriend's clothes just got to me. I mean, who gives a damn about that?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:50

I guess that's part of the reason he chooses the women he does...he gets attention for himself and for his causes he might not in today's world. Altho I think Stacy has some kind of deal with the Daily Mail because every article they write about these two is slanted towards Stacy and HER plus one. Kind of funny actually.
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:56

Mizerello wrote:I guess that's part of the reason he chooses the women he does...he gets attention for himself and for his causes he might not in today's world. Altho I think Stacy has some kind of deal with the Daily Mail because every article they write about these two is slanted towards Stacy and HER plus one. Kind of funny actually.
The Daily Mail is huge and she's too small to have a deal with them. Maybe George does and she gets a free ride because they're not interrested in pissing him off.

More likely though is the fact that they want as many clicks as they can get and their technical team are incredible. They must have figured out by now that a story that starts with 'George Clooney did xyz" gets them x number of clicks whereas a story that starts with "Clooney's girlfriend Stacy Keibler did xyz" get them 10 times the number of clicks.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cindigirl Sun 21 Oct 2012, 20:24

Katiedot wrote:While 'fans' were critiquing Stacy's hair, makeup and dress at the Carousel of Hope gala (shallow? never!), George was focusing on something important:

ROFL - I noticed how he brought attention to the Sudan crisis during the video. I thought it was great. The man never misses an opportunity.
cindigirl
cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 21 Oct 2012, 22:09

The man is amazing.

Amongst all the levity he engenders with his natural charm, he brings them around to brevity, and what's really important in the world.

Superb!!

party animal - not!
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 21 Oct 2012, 22:48

I'm worried
about him
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down