George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Recipe Sharing & Food Talk EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Recipe Sharing & Food Talk

+33
annemarie
PigPen
pattygirl
Sevens
Nicky80
Einstein
mosaic
Juliette Hardy
MyG
Carla97
lolo"layla"
Lakin460
cindigirl
suebee
Atalante
LornaDoone
premiere
Joanna
Maggy
Don Quixote
m4rose
lelacorb
MM
theminis
amaretti
Vi
it's me
Best in Category
melbert
silly girl
OofOof
Katiedot
iamnoone
37 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Recipe Sharing & Food Talk Empty Recipe Sharing & Food Talk

Post by iamnoone Sun 21 Oct 2012, 00:47

I started this thread to share recipes, food talk of any kind and nutrition as it impacts the body and health.

I love it. One day I want to get my wellness & health coach certification.

In a little bit gonna dig around and find one of my favorite quinoa recipes .

iamnoone
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Recipe Sharing & Food Talk Empty Re: Recipe Sharing & Food Talk

Post by iamnoone Sun 21 Oct 2012, 01:16

I love this salad. its almost a whole meal for me.

CHANGES I made- I made this like a lebanese green bean salad, I added carmelized onions (put onions sliced/chhopped in oil in a pan on low heat until nice & brown but not burned) and garlic. don't under salt this. i think i also added sun flower seeds don't omit the pepitas they really add a lot.

Quinoa and Green Bean Salad with Two Seeds
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
This quinoa-based salad offers fresh citrus flavor and savory appeal thanks to sesame and pumpkin seeds. A tasty, unique side dish to enjoy year-round.
Serves 4 to 6
6 ounces quinoa
1 1/3 cups water
3/4 pound haricots verts or green beans
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or more to taste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
sea salt, to taste
ground pepper, to taste
Toast quinoa in a dry skillet, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes. Put toasted quinoa in a medium saucepan and add the water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until all of the water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile boil the green beans in lightly salted water until al dente, about 2 minutes. Rinse in cold water to stop the cooking and drain well. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beans, lemon juice and olive oil. Add sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds and toss to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Info
Per serving (About 4.5oz/130g-wt. ): 360 calories (150 from fat), 16g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 13g protein, 40g total carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium

iamnoone
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sun 21 Oct 2012, 05:51

Nice thread.

If we're also sharing nutritional information, here's something I learnt from our nutritionist the other day: if you're rushing off to work with no time for breakfast and plan to pick up something at your local coffee shop then don't be tempted by the muffins.

Even though they're labelled bran muffins with raisins, they're still high in fat and sugar. Add a full size latte and you've got almost the same number of calories as a fried breakfast with sausages, bacon and egg.

The alternatives are:

- if you have time to go and buy a coffee, you have time to eat breakfast.

- if you really don't have time for breakfast, grab an apple and yoghurt from your fridge on the way out and make your own coffee when you get to the office. You save calories, you save money and you save time.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 07:05

Just made quinoa tonight for dinner. I like quinoa both hot and cold with a salad but tonight did it hot. Chopped up onions, avocado, broccoli, fresh basil and sauteed them in olive oil. Then added fresh pico de gallo to the pan at the end. I put 1/2 cup hot quinoa topped with some hand shredded parmesan followed by the sauteed mix. It was very satisfying and filling.
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sun 21 Oct 2012, 07:24

Great recipe for quinoa. Always looking for news ways to eat it. I have never cooked avocado ---never thought it should be cooked. This gives me a great reason to try. oh and Katie I agree about breakfast.....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 07:53

Sillygirl, I have a vegan friend who showed me so many ways to cook with avocado. Like you, I love it fresh, but it's great cooked to. Try it with crab or shrimp spiced however you like with a little melted cheese. You broil it and OMG it's almost as good as sex! My friend also eats avocado and peanut butter sands. Gotta say I haven't done that one yet!
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:15

I will need to try and cook avocado. I mostly have avocado and tomato sandwiches or mix it with tuna fish.....

I like Iamnoone's recipe too. Great way to use leftover quinoa....

I bought some "chia seeds"...they are supposed to be good for you and can aid in weight loss. They are a good source of protein and omega 3's.

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 21 Oct 2012, 15:40

With this thread, I'm either going to get fatter!!! or get so damn healthy I'll look great! Thanks Iamnoone for the idea and starting this thread!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Sun 21 Oct 2012, 16:59

Excellent thread!

Today I had:

Moitié-moitié Fondue. Vacherin and Gruyère cheese (or just 100% Gruyère) and two kinds of spirits white wine and Kirsch & small potatoes and crispy bread. (You could have vegetables or pickles even…

Drink white wine or/and tee.

This is not for someone who wants to loose weight….

But after a 7,5 km hike it tasted fantastic!

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 21 Oct 2012, 17:03

ah la fonduta!!!! fainting....
(nice your avatar best! Very Happy)
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by iamnoone Sun 21 Oct 2012, 17:05

woohhoo thanks everyone. I just love sharing recipes, and finding new friends who enjoy gabbing about stuff like this.

great article on functional medicine (treating disease as inflammation in the body, finding root cause instead of treating symptoms with medication which has its place but is over prescribed)

functional medicine, and ways to treat inflammation & autoimmune reactions in the body- something I'm quite passionate about:

How to treat autoimmune reactions/disorders

also google dr andrew weil and his antiinflammatory diet, amazing and it really works.

(OY YUMMO that fondue sounds wonderful what is Vacherin cheese? pickles veggies bread (gluten free in my case) small potatoes....(roasted. lots of garlic, butter some fresh herbs maybe?)

iamnoone
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Sun 21 Oct 2012, 17:14

Thanks! I met my soulmate today! She admired me and I admired her back as much! sunny

(trivia: she needs to eat 100 kg grass and drink 80 l water in order to produce 25 l milk. For one cheese they need 4x 25 l = 100 l milk.)

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:41

Iamnoone, I have been a fan of Dr. Weil for years! I've got diabetes, kidney disease and heart disease in my family. Obesity on both sides...my parents should never have hooked up (-: anyway, after spurts of eating right then returning to bad habits, I started really working at improving my health about 21/2 years ago. I am now med free, have a resting heart rate of between 58 and 62 and a low BP, good cholesterol etc. I find most of Stacy's healthy life suggestions lite to say the least, but she is right about eating healthily to feel healthy. Guess it's just how one defines healthy. And I too thank you for this thread. Love sharing recipes. Anyone else a fan of foodgawker.com?
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:49

foodgawker.com

google is your friend

good recipes

I am NOT vegetarian

and I am NOT vegan

but I like well-balanced diet
Vi
Vi
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:55

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan either Vi. Just have lots of friends who are and they've introduced me to lots of new foods and to some great ways of cooking them. I eat pretty much everything, just am working on portion control. Never learned that as a kid and I swear I have to wait 45 mins after eating before it registers in my stomach that I AM FULL. Have to say my healthiest friends are the vegetarians though.
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by iamnoone Sun 21 Oct 2012, 21:10

oh wow I've never heard of food gawker, just went there and i LOVED it. already snagged a lentil & greens soup recipe.

btw- when I'm in the mood to indulge I adore chocolate. SEES Candies are the best,, they do not use wheat flour on their production lines like some candy companies do. My favorite is their "normandy' which is a chocolate covered brown sugar cream with nuts. yum.

Dropping off another favorite recipe this is from the wholefoods website, I used a lot more basil and tons more feta. i think I made some other changes but don't remember now.

15-Minute Beets
The beautiful color of beets also reflects their rich concentration of health-promoting phytonutrient antioxidants, which add free-radical protection to your Healthiest Way of Eating. They are also rich in folate and manganese.

Prep and Cook Time: 5 minute prep; 15 minute cooking

Ingredients:
3 medium beets, about 3" in diameter
1 medium clove garlic, pressed or chopped
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Optional:
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 TBS chopped dill
1 TBS chopped chives
2 TBS Feta cheese
Directions:

Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water.
While the water is coming to a boil, wash beets, leaving 2 inches of tap root and 1 inch of the stem on the beets. Cut beets into quarters. Do not peel.
Steam covered for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork on the tip of a knife into the beet. Although some of their colorful phytonutrients are lost to the steaming water, there is plenty of color and nutrients left in the beets.
Press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
Peel beets using a paper towel.
Transfer beets to a bowl and toss with remaining ingredients while they are still hot.
Serves 2

iamnoone
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 21:47

Isn't foodgawker great?! Love that site. Loved Sees but had to stop eating chocolate (probably for the best...) a few years ago, along with coffee. Had migraines everyday. Stopped both choc and coffee and they went away. Don't know which one it was but am too afraid to eat or drink either! Helped with my diet to say the least!

I found foodgawker after we moved from a city to a small town with horrible restaurants. I love Asian food--Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese--and thanks to foodgawker, we can enjoy wonderful dishes even tho we live in a food desert!
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Sun 21 Oct 2012, 21:51

I love love love this thread . I love you

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 22 Oct 2012, 01:40

Great idea: Here is one receipe, my mother-in-law gave me 16 years ago, vegetarian for you all to try - its simply delicious - silicilian/italian dish I believe.

Use a big baking dish - set oven to 180 c.
Peel 5 large potatoes, then slice thin, cover with a little salt.
Peel if you wish too, 2 large eggplants, slice and cover with a little salt (sometimes I leave skin on)
Peel and slice lengthwise, 3-4 large zuccinis, cover with salt.
Lightly toast 1 cup of breadcrumbs, gluten free if you prefer.
Make your own passata or use a large glass jar (or 2) of pasta sauce, napoletana or plain tomota with little basil works best.
Rinse all the salt off the vegies then in your greased baking dish, put a little tomato pasta sauce on the bottom then do 1 layer of potato, cover with more sauce and sprinkle breadcrumbs over, repeat with eggplant, then zuccini, then potato again until dish is full or all vegies used, cover each layer of vegies with sauce and breadcrumbs, finish with a layer of sauce on top. Cook in oven for around 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted shows that the potato is cooked. An alternative is too add chunks of mozerella throughout the layers and for the last 15 minutes of cooking, spinkle tasty cheese on top.

I usually make this as a side to add with whatever meat dishes I have prepared along with salads.

Hope you enjoy

theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Mon 22 Oct 2012, 01:41

IAMNOONE - now that I know what Quinoa is (oopsy) I will try your recipe above - many thanks
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 22 Oct 2012, 06:00

interesting!!!

it made me to remember the
ratatuille (sp?)
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Tue 23 Oct 2012, 09:23

Good recipes - I will try ... Thumbs up!

Basic ingredients and really tasty (yesterday´s lunch):

Salad with tiger prawns fried in chili oil, cherry tomatoes, cantaloupe, avocado, cashew nuts and American dressing. On a side of a plate was grilled ananas slices.

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Tue 23 Oct 2012, 15:18

I make a "house salad" at home with slliced tomatoes, romaine lettuce, vandalia onions, avocado. I sometimes grate a bit of baby carrots and celery, and sprinkle garlic salt over the entire salad. Then, I pour Italian vinagrette dressing over the salad, and toss well. This salad goes with just about anything main dish. I swear by vinagrette dressing because it is low-calorie, and the olive oil helps reduce cholesterol in the body. So, it is all good.
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Tue 23 Oct 2012, 16:34

MM I like the dressing you explained and onions, all kinds of them...

Today I had this interesting salmon dish:

Salmon and in the top of it little chunks of pickles, capers, parmesan, smetana and curry. White pepper & salt. On a side was potatoes naturel with butter and dill.

I have eaten salmon all my life, but this is definitely a way I will try and cook at home next...

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Tue 23 Oct 2012, 18:26

a salad healthy, low calorie and nice to see, thinly sliced ​​fennel with pomegranate grainy and seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper. Accompany grilled fish or seafood and very fresh.
Salad as a main dish: spinach with small leaves, bacon passed to the grill, shaved pecorino or parmesan cheese and walnuts, salt and oil
lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Tue 23 Oct 2012, 18:43

Oh my goodness that sounds delicious .

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 24 Oct 2012, 00:20

Hi everyone
I'm bringing dessert to a very important Italian family member of my husbands this weekend. I want to bring a dessert that looks and tastes impressive but is not to difficult or time consuming. Any ideas would be appreciated.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by m4rose Wed 24 Oct 2012, 01:12

The minis... You should make death by chocolate. It's easy to make and very impressive. Or dirt cake which is my favorite and you add flowers to it. It can be a centerpiece AND a dessert! YEAH!
m4rose
m4rose
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 24 Oct 2012, 03:29

Thanks m4rose - death by chocolate sounds perfect - not sure what dirt cake is but sounds like something my kids would make!! HA
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Wed 24 Oct 2012, 03:37

Yes one of my favorite chocolate desserts . Very Happy

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Quixote Wed 24 Oct 2012, 05:35

I love my spaniard roots. My favorite food is a salad called
Escalivada from region of Catalonia. A Catalan salad is a salad that consists of several types of grilled vegetables, such as eggplants, sweet red peppers, red tomatoes, and sweet onions. Once well cooked on the grill, those vegetables are peeled and sliced in strips, the seeds removed, and seasoned with olive oil and salt, and sometimes with garlic as well.

I love this salad.
Don Quixote
Don Quixote
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Wed 24 Oct 2012, 05:51

Hi, Don Quixote!

That salad sounds delicious.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Wed 24 Oct 2012, 06:05

Don Quixote I love grilled eggplant . Thank you I will make that salad . Nice to meet you . cheers

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Quixote Wed 24 Oct 2012, 06:14

Hola, I love eggplant too.
Don Quixote
Don Quixote
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Quixote Wed 24 Oct 2012, 06:21

I also like grilled red tomatoes with olive oil.
Don Quixote
Don Quixote
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Wed 24 Oct 2012, 07:10

I love putting fruit and vegis together in salads. Tonight we had cucumbers I peeled and De-seeded with an Asian pear and pomegranates. For a dressing I just used rice wine vinegar with a bit of agave to sweeten it.
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Wed 24 Oct 2012, 15:22

theminis wrote:Hi everyone
I'm bringing dessert to a very important Italian family member of my husbands this weekend. I want to bring a dessert that looks and tastes impressive but is not to difficult or time consuming. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well, here is a simple-yet-elegant dessert that is loved by all Italians. It is called, "tiramisu (pick me up)."

Break ladyfingers (this is a sweet cookie shaped in long, thin bars) into one-inch pieces and place at the bottom of a parfait glass. Lightly soak the pieces with strong expresso coffee. add whipped cream to the top. Then, lightly drizzle chocolate sauce over the whipped cream, and sprinkle light chocolate shavings on top of everything.

You can find ladyfingers in a bakery, or in an international food store. You should be able to find a good recipe for tiramisu online.

Good Night and Good Luck. LOL
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Wed 24 Oct 2012, 16:06

MM wrote:

Well, here is a simple-yet-elegant dessert that is loved by all Italians. It is called, "tiramisu (pick me up)."

Break ladyfingers (this is a sweet cookie shaped in long, thin bars) into one-inch pieces and place at the bottom of a parfait glass. Lightly soak the pieces with strong expresso coffee. add whipped cream to the top. Then, lightly drizzle chocolate sauce over the whipped cream, and sprinkle light chocolate shavings on top of everything.

You can find ladyfingers in a bakery, or in an international food store. You should be able to find a good recipe for tiramisu online.

I the "tiramisu" I do it with the mascherpone worked with powdered sugar and a glass of rum without whipped cream and then dusted with cocoa powder

lelacorb
lelacorb

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Wed 24 Oct 2012, 16:43

[quote]
lelacorb wrote:
MM wrote:

Break ladyfingers (this is a sweet cookie shaped in long, thin bars) into one-inch pieces and place at the bottom of a parfait glass. Lightly soak the pieces with strong expresso coffee. add whipped cream to the top. Then, lightly drizzle chocolate sauce over the whipped cream, and sprinkle light chocolate shavings on top of everything. You can find ladyfingers in a bakery, or in an international food store. You should be able to find a good recipe for tiramisu online.

I the "tiramisu" I do it with the mascherpone worked with powdered sugar and a glass of rum without whipped cream and then dusted with cocoa powder

I owe everyone an apology, I said whipped cream instead of marscapone cheese. If you do not have marscapone cheese, use either ricotta or cream cheese (neufchatel). You can get a good tiramisu recipe online on various websites.

Lelacorb, thank you for the correction.
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 24 Oct 2012, 17:01

Thank you all - tiramisu is also a good choice, have eaten it many times but never made it, always thought it was tricky to make, but from reading the above, I think that even I can make it! I can see that I will either be making or eating a lot of desserts this weekend!!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 24 Oct 2012, 19:43

But you can't do that theminis.....F1....F1....F1.... Sofa bounce
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Wed 24 Oct 2012, 19:58

Hey, theminis, tirimisu is a simple-yet-elegant dessert that is sure to please everyone. It looks rich and delicious, and tastes divine.
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:56

Jo - F1 and cake sounds good to me!!

I'm making both - death by chocolate (I mean how can I resist something that sounds like that) and tiramisu. I'm a coffee and choc addict, add a whiskey or two and thats a perfect weekend!
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 24 Oct 2012, 23:45

dunno about the other
but
tiramisu
can carry you on a delirium!! Razz geek
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 25 Oct 2012, 02:29

AND, it's George's favorite dessert!!!!!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by premiere Thu 25 Oct 2012, 02:47

Best In Category - what's American Dressing?

Tiramisu is really pretty easy to make, but it's time-consuming. (but I think worth it!)
premiere
premiere
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Thu 25 Oct 2012, 04:32

I make my tiramisu in a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap and strips of waxed paper or parchment . I layer the tiramisu in the loaf pan and cover with waxed paper and wrap and put in the freezer . When I am ready to serve I take out my loaf and slice like a terrine and garnish each serving slice with chocolate curls . The leftover tiramisu goes back in the loaf pan and in the freezer for another time .

amaretti

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 25 Oct 2012, 04:42

I loooove tiramisu. It's my favorite. I like it when it's real moist and soft with a strong semi bitter coffee flavor.
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 25 Oct 2012, 06:36

hope this is right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiramisu

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by MM Thu 25 Oct 2012, 15:11

it's me wrote:hope this is right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiramisu

Yes, IM, that is a good illustration of how to do tiramisu. There are different recipes for it, so choose one you like the best, and go with it.

Mmmm, I have a craving for tiramisu now. Gotta dash I'm gonna get me some.
MM
MM
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next