George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert!

+7
OofOof
blubelle
bunny
Best in Category
it's me
Joanna
LornaDoone
11 posters

Go down

Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! Empty Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert!

Post by LornaDoone Thu 18 Oct 2012, 07:31

Discussion for those who've seen Argo.

I saw Argo tonight and found it suspenseful, gripping and in some parts I was laughing out loud! I highly recommend it and also if you haven't seen it yet, make sure you stay for the credits.

Has anyone else seen it yet? I'd really like your opinion of it.

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! Empty Re: Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert!

Post by Joanna Thu 18 Oct 2012, 10:22

Thanks for your recommendation Lorna.
I've just checked the relevant release dates here.

7 November UK

8 November Italy, Switzerland
Joanna
Joanna
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert! Empty Re: Argo Discussion for those who have seen it. Spoiler Alert!

Post by it's me Thu 18 Oct 2012, 11:47

already?

good Smile
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Thu 18 Oct 2012, 20:09

Yep it´s coming, but unfortunately all dubbed in french. I want to see it in english... well I guess it is not happening. I dunno

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 18 Oct 2012, 20:15

The DVD will be alright for that BiC...out around February 2013 if I remember correctly.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Fri 19 Oct 2012, 02:31

John Goodman and Alan Arkin were great together.

What I find interesting is that I was never aware of this event happening after it happened. What I mean is that apparently the 6 who were helped out were photographed at press events and the Iranians made comments about the fact that the Canadians had gotten the Americans out, but I don't remember it when it happened.

I guess I was just finishing college and had started training for my first job so I was so focused on that - and working long hours during training -- that I really didn't see much TV at the time.

So for me, the history lesson (told in such an entertaining, suspenseful and funny way) was the best part of the film.

Richard Kind is also in the film with a small part as the guy with whom Alan Arkin's character has to negotiate the script rights. That scene, like so many others in the film, was very well written, very clever and very funny. But for a few seconds when I saw Richard come on the screen, all I could think about what that damn story about George crapping in his cats litter box. I'm surprised I didn't burst out laughing as soon as I saw him on the screen!

And yes, I forgot to mention, I did clap and hoot when George's name came on the screen as producer! Very Happy

LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny Fri 19 Oct 2012, 03:49

I thought is was a great movie. The cast was wonderful.

It was very well put together. there were a couple of slow parts but overall an excellent film.

bunny
bunny
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle Sat 20 Oct 2012, 01:00

I just came back from seeing Argo. I really liked it and recommend it to all. I think Ben Afleck is a talented director and the entire cast is terrific. I think G was considering directing this film but got involved with The Ides of March. I saw that film also. Admittedly, I am not savvy enough to note the technical nuances that separate good films from great ones. Having said that I think The Ides of March was every bit as good as this one and yet this film is getting raves while IOM was given a luke warm reception. Just wondering how others feel.
blubelle
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sat 20 Oct 2012, 01:28

I have to admit I didn't think Ides was that great of a movie. Seems like he may have picked the wrong one to concentrate on. I felt like it was half a movie and that it just sort of ended. I also thought the topic was old hat. Finally, wanted to see more of George! Ryan is fine but I really expected more of George.

Argo sounds like it's better written and more well rounded. Guess I'm picky but so many movies today seem like they start out with a bang and end with a whimper.
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sat 20 Oct 2012, 02:08

Mizerello Argo had me at one point almost hyperventilating - the suspense was that good!

One of my friends who went with me had the same reaction - as we walked out of the theater she said she her heart was pounding during the climax scene in the film. I think it shows great directing.
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sat 20 Oct 2012, 03:01

Ooh. Can't wait to see Argo then. Sounds like it was well made and, more importantly, well written! Thanks Lorna. We were going last Friday but couldn't so it's on for tomorrow.
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by traone Sat 20 Oct 2012, 18:53

Mizerello wrote:Ooh. Can't wait to see Argo then. Sounds like it was well made and, more importantly, well written! Thanks Lorna. We were going last Friday but couldn't so it's on for tomorrow.

Well made, and well written. And very importantly, well directed. The director has to bring to life the the words that were written, and get his actors to say those words in a certain way, as to come across in a believable manner. And from what all of you that have seen the movie are saying, it seems that Ben has done just that, and was excellent at it. I am so happy for him.
traone
traone
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Sat 20 Oct 2012, 19:33

Argo was only a fair movie in my opinion with entirely too many characters. The storyline was very simple and the best action was at the very end with the intensity and drama of checking to see if the six and the film crew can leave the country and chasing the Swissair 747 down the runway. Not the worst film I ever saw but it has been overrated in my opinion by the critics. Also too long at two hours.

George Fan
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sun 21 Oct 2012, 05:35

George Fan I don't know how you could have cut down on the characters given that there were six hostages, the Canadian ambassador and his wife, their Iranian maid, the CIA, the movie people who helped make the "fake film" viable to the Iranians without losing the point of the film and of course, Ben Affleck's character.

The point of the film was to recreate an event that was highly classified yet so absurd that it actually worked. (Well maybe the reading of the script scene could have been shortened) but other than that scene I can't think of anything else that they could have cut without compromising the history of the event and the flow of the movie.

Like the critics I think we'll see this film nominated for best picture come Oscar time.

But we all have our opinions, thanks for sharing yours!
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by George Fan Sun 21 Oct 2012, 17:28

I just think the inspector in Turkey reviewing the documents was not necessary, too many extra Hollywood producer types although John Goodman's character was funny. If you saw the trailer that was the movie. It was a very highly predictable movie without much depth in the writing. The best was the acting of Ben Affleck.

George Fan
Drinking George Clooney under the table

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Sun 21 Oct 2012, 19:07

Wow! "the best was the acting of Ben Affleck?". Oof, if that's the case maybe I should change plans for this afternoon! Like his movies usually in spite of his acting. He seems to play the same person in every movie.
OofOof
OofOof

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sun 08 Sep 2013, 02:58

Ok just saw it----premiered on HBO tonight. Gotta say it was intense and very well done. I wasn't sure I was going to like it but BA did a really good job. Guess he deserved the Oscar.... Wink

(as the saying goes--better late than never)...

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 13:11

Yes watched it too some times ago. It was really intense as you said.

At first I didn't expect mutch just an american movie which has they own political view bla bla. But it was really good. I enjoyed it too.
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down