George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time

+10
lelacorb
Stellita
Best in Category
Joanna
it's me
Cinderella
silly girl
Maggy
theminis
Katiedot
14 posters

Go down

George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time Empty George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time

Post by Katiedot Thu 13 Sep 2012, 14:09

Controversial . . .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is a difference between what makes a great movie star and what makes a great actor. While the stars on this list are undoubtedly good actors, they have a something extra which makes them great movie stars. Therefore, wonderful actors like Gene Hackman, Robert DeNiro, Peter O’Toole and Robert Duvall didn’t make the cut.

The last 100 years of cinema has been filled with great stars and it was difficult limiting the list down to ten. Sure, I could have had a top 100 rundown, but that leaves too much leeway, because of this great movie stars such as Harrison Ford, Dustin Hoffman, Will Smith, Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, Kevin Costner and, yes even people like Arnold Schwarzenegger were left off the list. It was a tough call, but I chose who I believed exuded the most star quality.

Below is the Movies In Focus Top 10 Movie Stars of All Time.

10. Warren Beatty
Beatty’s off-screen persona as a ladies-man has arguably made him more famous than his movies. However, Beatty uses this as a way of twisting audience expectations, delivering films with a strong emotional (and political) resonance. He’s also damn cool.
Must See:
Bonnie And Clyde, The Parallax View, Reds and Heaven Can Wait.

9. Jack Nicholson
Another star known for his off-screen antics, Nicolson has been delivering blistering performances since the late 1960s. His manic style always has a bit of insanity bubbling under the surface, ready to boil over at any moment.
Must See:
Easy Rider, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Batman and As Good As It Gets.

8. Charlton Heston
On-screen Heston appears to have been cut from granite - strong, powerful...biblical. Heston mixes strength and intelligence with old fashioned masculinity. His illustrious career has seen him star in some of the greatest cinematic stories ever told.
Must See:
Ben-Hur, The Planet of the Apes, A Touch of Evil and Omega Man.

7. John Wayne
‘The Duke’. Possibly one of the most iconic actors of all-time - Wayne’s cinematic legacy is assured. Many actors have tried to attain Wayne’s mantle as the All-American Hero (Clint Eastwood, anyone?) but they have all failed. There is only one John Wayne.
Must See:
Stagecoach, The Searchers, Rio Bravo and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

6. Mel Gibson
Gibson is one of the few stars who both men and women want to see. His good looks coupled with his strong masculinity give him a potent screen persona. His emotions run close to the surface, meaning that a Gibson performance can go anywhere.
Must See:
Mad Max, Lethal Weapon, Braveheart and What Women Want.

5. Sean Connery
Bond, James Bond. The first man to play Ian Fleming’s iconic character on the big screen, Connery’s presence owns the screen. Strong and powerful, Connery is as famous for his voice as his looks. A long career has seen Connery go from a lead actor to an elder statesman – destroying younger actors on-screen in the process.
Must See:
From Russia With Love, The Untouchables, The Man Who Would Be King and The Rock.

4. Robert Redford
The Sundance Kid is the lighter flipside to Warren Beatty darker coin. He’s another politically star, although one who has spent more time carefully crafting his screen image. Redford pairs his matinee idol looks with a bookish intelligence, making the ladies swoon in the process.
Must See:
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Three Days of the Condor, The Natural and The Great Gatsby.

3. Tom Cruise
Cruise’s boyish charm helped propel him to superstardom. He parlayed this success into working with Hollywood’s top directors, starring a slew of films which helped make him an integral cog in the Hollywood machine – and he’s still a major box office draw nearly thirty years on.
Must See:
Top Gun, Vanilla Sky, Magnolia and Jerry Maguire.

2. George Clooney
Charismatic and charming on and off-screen, Clooney has built an eclectic filmography, with a political bent (like Redford and Beatty before him). Clooney eschews most mainstream films (following the disaster of Batman & Robin), using his clout to make more challenging character ( and politically) driven films.
Must See:
Out Of Sight, Michael Clayton, Three Kings and Ocean' Eleven

1. Cary Grant
The artist formally known as Archibald Leach is the only movie star - the gold standard to which all others are measured. Classy, sophisticated and endlessly cool, Grant’s screen presence is unrivalled. Equally at home in comedy and drama, Grant’s work appears to be effortless. Grant has starred in some of cinema’s best films, and even his lesser roles are filled with enough charm to knock everyone else off-screen.
Must See:
North By Northwest, To Catch A Thief, Charade and Arsenic and Old Lace.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time Empty Re: George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time

Post by theminis Thu 13 Sep 2012, 14:17

Oooh for me thats tough, choosing between Cary Grant and George Clooney! Glad he's number 2 though
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time Empty Re: George Clooneat #2 in list of Top 10 Movie Stars of all Time

Post by Maggy Thu 13 Sep 2012, 14:54

George! cheers
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 13 Sep 2012, 15:03

I love Cary Grant so this is a win win for me.... Wink

Totally don't get the Tom Cruise thing....never my cup of tea....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Thu 13 Sep 2012, 15:07

I love Cary Grant, too!!! Great feat for George! Congratulations! I wonder what kind of poll was pulled or if they made the decision themselves... ???
Cinderella
Cinderella
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Sep 2012, 15:17

what an honour!! CONGRATULAZIONI ! Very Happy
Yahooooo
wow!
a win-win IMO too ! Thumbs up!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 13 Sep 2012, 17:23

Happy that George came second.
Unhappy that Good Night And Good Luck isn't included in
the must see list though....instead of Three Kings !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Sep 2012, 17:25

Rolling Eyes
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 13 Sep 2012, 17:36

Unfortunately, Cary Grant was very flawed and used LSD and made his third wife Dyan Canon take it to try to make her into what he wanted her to be.
According to her book anyway.

Not the perfect specimen after all !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Thu 13 Sep 2012, 19:17

Blaah, GC is NUMERO UNO, number 1.

And where is tony montana? I mean al pacino??? Shocked

Best in Category
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellita Thu 13 Sep 2012, 19:34

Joanna wrote:Unfortunately, Cary Grant was very flawed and used LSD and made his third wife Dyan Canon take it to try to make her into what he wanted her to be.

I prefer Clark Gable over Cary Grand.

Does anyone know what George Clooney, Cary Grant and Clark Gable
have in common?

Stellita
Getting serious about George

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Sep 2012, 19:37

capital G and C

Razz
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 13 Sep 2012, 19:40

and all three are HOT! Love4
Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Sep 2012, 19:48

Blaah, GC is NUMERO UNO, number 1 !!!! Razz
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by lelacorb Thu 13 Sep 2012, 20:06

Joanna wrote:Unfortunately, Cary Grant was very flawed and used LSD and made his third wife Dyan Canon take it to try to make her into what he wanted her to be.

Joanna George is not perfect, but perfection does not exist (perhaps God?)Although het is not perfect and is doped in the past, I love him all the same! If I wanted to love a perfect man I would have become a nun!
lelacorb
lelacorb
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 13 Sep 2012, 20:11

LOL!!

I'm not
so I can't ask
for a perfect one

Smile
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Thu 13 Sep 2012, 20:19

Don't know about Grant or Gable, was one of them in gone with the wind?

Never mind old stuff.

Maggy, you like all three of them -- Cruise?! Vomit 1

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Thu 13 Sep 2012, 21:00

BIC, all the three G-s and C-s Very Happy

Maggy
Maggy

Back to top Go down

Post by fava Thu 13 Sep 2012, 21:04

No Paul Newman? Interesting that the list is "greatest movie star" not "greatest movie actor"

fava

Back to top Go down

Post by tzizz Thu 13 Sep 2012, 21:19

I agree, fava. Paul Newman is definitely on my list of greatest movie stars (and actors). The writer says: "There is a difference between what makes a great movie star and what makes a great actor. While the stars on this list are undoubtedly good actors, they have a something extra which makes them great movie stars. " ......and the writer says: "I chose who I believed exuded the most star quality. " I think Paul Newman exudes 10 times as much star quality as Charlton Heston or Mel Gibson. Of course, George Clooney definitely has that "star quality"!

tzizz
Clooneyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Best in Category Thu 13 Sep 2012, 21:38

Ok Maggy good. Very Happy

I can only agree with the list with three names
clooney, connery and redford

Best in Category

Back to top Go down

Post by amaretti Thu 13 Sep 2012, 23:08

Georgie baby I think you made it. heheee Very Happy

amaretti
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by blackmamba Fri 14 Sep 2012, 01:27

It is great to see him on the list but i would have choosen other movies. Also Bummed that Paul Newman isn`t on the list. Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman are missing too. Surprised

blackmamba
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down