Log in

I forgot my password

Latest topics
Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Katiedot on Sat Apr 28 2012, 08:08

Taking these quotes from another thread as I thought they were interesting enough for a new discussion:
blubelle wrote:I've been reading everyone's comments about G's dating habits. IMO the only PR advantage to this relationship for G is SK does have a fan base. I think she is attractive and her background would bring a different demographic that may not have followed G's movies. The same can be said for Eli. His films seem to do well in Europe. I may be short sighted but I still believe him when he says he keeps his private life private. We see only what he wants us to see. The rest of his life is his to know.

Henway wrote:Why a 30 something? Cause he is trying to get the younger fan base to see his movies. IMO of course. How many students from the schools he filmed saw Ides? I think he wants that younger crowd badly. Neutral

bellybaby wrote:I think what bothers me, is that I"m trying to understand what is written about him, how it makes sense...

"the idea that some conspiratorial PR machine is churning 24/7 to keep George in the spotlight by using previously unknown GFs to allure a target demographic into the theatres to see George's films; "

This is pretty much what I asked in my previous post. I've seen people here talk about it, and of course there's the major loonies that keep spewing the "Contract Girlfriends for PR" on every and any blog they can get to. But I've yet to get a good, solid reason for WHY or HOW having these girls as GFs help him, in any way.

A younger fan base? Do you see what SK's fans say about him on her Facebook about him? or about her dating him? Not too nice, don't think they're becoming fans of George. My daughter is in her early 20's. She knows who George is, but she's not attracted to him, and just because he's in a movie doesn't mean she's going to see it. So, I'm not real convinced that this is a solid answer - for me, anyway.

Sorry. I'm the type of person that believes that, just because you keep saying something over and over again (the loonies) doesn't make it true. There would be a reason for it. That's why I don't believe in the Contract GF. Haven't heard a convincing enough reason for it. A gag order or sorts, yes. I believe that. And like I said in that post, I think someone like him needs it.

Thanks Astras, for your inside info!!

lucy wrote:Just re-reading all above post, LOL "skanky girls need love to, if only for a few months", Very well thought and written comments,nice to be able to have so many points of view.
Here's mine don't think GTC spends so much of his free time just for PR, to sell his projects would he really date someone for a year or two? Since Celine hasn't all his GF's short and long term been some type of lingerie model,waitress in skimpy uniforms,actress not afraid to take it off on film? These can't all be Stan's choice, to help sell his projects, will agree he needs a younger audience, their the ones going to the films, standing in lines to see films over and over again. But thankfully GTC doesn't make films like that.

Lighterside wrote:Late to the party (as usual!) but wanted to say YAY ASTRAS! Great post! Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

Decided to add that if George was worried about reaching out to a younger demographic, wouldn't it be smarter to pick films that would actually interest the younger demographic? Why would he expect 20 something males to be interested in the films he makes. He'd be choosing to make big blockbusters like Will Smith, Depp or Downey Jr. if that was his goal.

Choosing someone to date who is young would in no way shape or form ensure a younger based audience. It would have no impact on his box office.

Katiedot wrote:
madsky wrote:Now I think this looks staged as Katiedot said, but she also said it was through George's people, and I am curious as to why. I know there are some people who work in P.R. here, and I just don't get the end game for George on this. I see Stacy getting work through her relationship, but what is George getting out of it? Publicity? Does he still need it? Just curious as I don't see it. Not buying that there is massive money given by gossip sites and mags for this kind of stuff.
As far as I know - and please speak up if I'm wrong - I'm the only PR person posting regularly here, and I do PR for luxury hotels and resorts.

As to why I think it's George's team doing the calling here's this: when I was first became a fan he was dating Krista. Whenever he got papped with her, the fans said it was because nasty, scheming Krista had made the call to trap poor, innocent, unsuspecting George and I went along with that theory.

Then he dated Lisa, and again, every time they got caught by the paparazzi, it was always entirely blamed on Lisa. I did wonder whether really every occasion could be attributed to her but I kept that thought to myself.

Then he went back to Krista and again she got the blame for all paparazzi shots of them together (there weren't many). Then he bounced to Lisa again, and yet again every single candid paparazzi shot taken of the two of them was laid at her feet. By this time I was having my suspicions.

He then was single for some years but still the paparazzi got occasional pictures of him out and about. Nobody to blame for those shots so they were accepted as just having happened.

When he started dating Sarah Larson - a woman who I think barely knew more than one journalist - then again the paparazzi shots of them together were said to be because she'd called the press.

Cue Elisabetta and again, every pap shot of them together was supposedly only because of her doing.

And here we are again. Stacy Keibler. And again every shot of them together is entirely due to her while poor, unsuspecting, innocent George blithely goes through life unaware of the evil schemes of his nasty girlfriend.

That's how it's been for around 10 years and it's simply not believable. If there are pictures of him with his girlfriend it's because the girlfriend dobbed him in. If there are only pictures of him (such as him coming out of the restaurant the other day) nobody says a word and just assumes the paps happened to be there and caught him.

I also believe that George calls the shots in these relationships. These women wouldn't and don't do anything that would jeapardise the relationship or seriously upset him.

As others here have said, he is surprisingly good at keeping his privacy. We know a lot about him, sure, but really detailed stuff is kept behind closed doors. What George does very well (and I believe this comes naturally to him, isn't tutored) is to present an open door to his life that allows you to see a lot, but never anything that's important to him. That he's able to keep private.

To answer why I think team George might do it, here's a couple of theories. You can take your pick or come up with another one:

1. The first thing to consider is that not all paparazzi shots are staged. Sometimes the paps really are in the right place at the right time.

2. It could be part of a quid pro quo agreement where George gets papped on some occasions and they leave him alone on others.

3. Maybe George likes the limelight (he is, after all, an actor and has an actor's ego) and still does want to see himself in the gossip magazines on occasion (especially occasions where he's able to control all aspects and look good).

4. Maybe he or his team really are bothered by the gay rumours?

Why I think it's staged is that we've never, ever seen pictures of George doing the supermarket run. Evenhere all he did was sit in the car and wait. I have my doubts as to whether he's ever done serious super market shopping in a decade and that's for two reasons: firstly, I think he's too famous to be able do some of these normal things and secondly how many men do you know who actually enjoy it? Ok, my father does but we're talking George Clooney who generally doesn't like shopping. I think that most (but of course not all!) men with George's money and staff would get someone else to do it.

madsky wrote:Thanks Katie for the answer. I am in advertising and rarely do P.R. now I know why, I didn't even think about the personal or ego part involved in this. It was bugging me too.

But you brought up some great points and ideas I hadn't thought of.

1. Highly unlikely to have that many coincidences with multiple girlfriends- the only constant is George so he probably is controlling it.
2. Even with some of the bashing Stan gets - he seems to keep most of George's life private and helps keep his career going hot while others crash and burn with the attention. Probably Stan has a lot of deals going on to make this happen.
3. I always thought the gay rumors bothered either George or some of his people more than they let on. Not sure why, but just a feeling. I don't believe any have any prejudice against gay people, not saying that. Just maybe career wise or because he's not gay it bothers them more than they let on. I think it might have been easier for him to deal with it if he was gay. I think he would be a great spokesman, but because he's not -sort of in no where land, supportive while saying you're not.

party animal - not! wrote:You could be right, Katie (former Industry PR person here).

But I get the impression this is different. We've seen so much of his behaviour change since they've been together....Twitter, talking together on red carpets, relatively open interviews with SK, Person-to-person, etc.

I get that it's the Oscar trail (and it would be weird if he didn't push IOM. It's his baby, and he clearly respects Alexander Payne hugely).

But just something tells me that this 50 yr old man has had a bit of an epiphany.

And maybe she just asked him to give her a hand ahead of a Sunday game starting.....and one lucky pap outside Whole Foods made a lot of money!

Anxala wrote:
blubelle wrote:I think the phrase I used "different demographic" has caused people here to react. I have always believed that G doesn't need a PR girlfriend, couldn't and wouldn't be talked into such a relationship, and have said so. Perhaps I phrased it poorly but I felt that might be the only advantage to him of such a relationship. I never inferred that it was the basis for their dating. I also said I think he keeps his private life private and we only see what he wants us to. Guess I need to keep my mouth shut or learn to write better.
No need at all to keep your mouth shut or to rephrase anything, Blubelle. The idea that he's looking for a new audience for his movies is not an unlikely one at all. And anyone who's witnessed his Oscar campaign is perfectly within their rights to question what its extravagantly OTT purpose was.

No matter what else, it's good to remember that Clooney is 100% always in control of what he does. And if that gives rise to awkward questions about his own media manipulation, then so be it.


Last edited by Katiedot on Sat Apr 28 2012, 10:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a few more quotes that seemed relevant)

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Katiedot on Sat Apr 28 2012, 08:12

party animal - not! wrote: But I get the impression this is different. We've seen so much of his behaviour change since they've been together....Twitter, talking together on red carpets, relatively open interviews with SK, Person-to-person, etc.
To be honest, I don't see this as a change in behaviour. I think it's more a change in modern technology. If twitter had been around for longer, we'd have had all his girlfriends tweeting (Elisabetta tried but was crap at it initially, now she's got it going much better).

All the increased number of more open interviews I think were because of his Oscar campaign. The one he wasn't doing, of course. I think that backfired on him so it'll be interesting to see if he keeps this up so it doesn't seem so obvious next time he's up for an award or if he goes back to his previous stated position of not doing any press.


Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by bellybaby on Sat Apr 28 2012, 15:18

@Katie - I agree with the Oscar PR stuff, and more people than us realized that "Mr. Private" wasn't being so private and was out there alot more than usual, so it was kinda blatant.

I think for alot of these Pap Ops, that Stacy may not necessarily be the one calling the paps, but all she has to do is text her manager, or her PR, and THEY would call the paps. Then she could easily claim innocence. Or, a stranger sees them, and tweets it, then the paps show up. Could be the reason G looks so pissy in alot of these shots.

I wonder if G's "allowance" of her tweeting isn't in direct response to Eli's interview about him being controlling. People (including me) have to think he's somewhat controlling, cuz you've never heard any real dirt from any of the GFs. It was after that, that he made the "she can do what she wants" remark, and SK's tweeting of their upcoming events. Of course, she had a twitter account before G, so it would be weird (and VERY seemingly controlling if she didn't tweet anything about her relationship with a megastar). Although I think he keeps her on a short leash.


bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Posts : 839
Join date : 2011-01-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Katiedot on Sat Apr 28 2012, 20:10

bellybaby wrote:I think for a lot of these Pap Ops, that Stacy may not necessarily be the one calling the paps, but all she has to do is text her manager, or her PR, and THEY would call the paps.
I just want to clarify that I include anyone on team Stacy, not just her. I really don't think it's her (or anyone associated with her) making the phone call to the paps. I think it's George - or more likely, his PR team doing it.

Agree with you that he keeps her on a tight leash.

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by cindigirl on Sat Apr 28 2012, 21:21

I wonder, if George or his PR team called in the paps for the grocery shots, why he looked so "pissed off." Errrr

He should have greeted them with a smile. Very Happy

Unless he was putting on a show. LOL

cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Posts : 5313
Join date : 2010-12-06
Location : NJ, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Maggy on Sat Apr 28 2012, 21:33

Cindi, does he give a play-by-play list of all his chores to his PR TEAM? (I'm just wondering)

Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by cindigirl on Sat Apr 28 2012, 21:36

I'm pretty sure he has them on speed dial. With an alarm sounding instead of a buzz when new messages come in. LOL

cindigirl
Happy Clooney-looney!

Posts : 5313
Join date : 2010-12-06
Location : NJ, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Maggy on Sat Apr 28 2012, 22:00

An alarm on a red phone lol!

Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Posts : 3821
Join date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by party animal - not! on Sat Apr 28 2012, 22:01

Crikey, doesn't it make you wonder how, with all these strategies going on, either of them can manage to find the time to do anything normal - like, er, grocery shopping!!??

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Posts : 7772
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by LornaDoone on Sun Apr 29 2012, 00:03

I have to agree that if George were looking for a younger demographic he'd be making blockbuster type movies. So I don't think he dates these gals for their potential to bring him a younger movie going base.

I think he dates young women cause he can't stand seeing wrinkles on his girlfriends faces! Brahahaha!!

Seriously though, he likes pretty women with tight asses who probably screw like rabbits in heat. Pretty much any man's dream. George just gets to live it.


LornaDoone
Moderator

Posts : 6692
Join date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Katiedot on Mon Apr 30 2012, 10:08

Sadly I think you're right Lorna. He's after the pretty, and his girlfriends are always going to be in their early 30s, not matter how old he gets.

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by adgran on Mon Apr 30 2012, 13:30

I echo Katie and agree with why George is with whomever he's with. He's a 50 year good-looking rich man with tons of charm. So he can have his pick of women. I doubt very much if he has a deep relationship with any of them. Does he like having them around? Yeah, cause sometimes it's easier to have a plus one than to always be alone. And sometimes it's easier for sex unless you pay for it. He's not going to hang out with someone he can't stand - the last months with Betty notwithstanding. I still think he had a hard time getting rid of her for some reason.

For some people, primary emotional support for daiily living or crises, comes from a significant other. For some, it comes from friends and I think George fits into this category.

adgran
Clooneyfan

Posts : 106
Join date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by party animal - not! on Mon Apr 30 2012, 13:58

Mmm. And now his romantic liaison is with a friend!!

party animal - not!
Zip a dee Clooney!

Posts : 7772
Join date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Lakin460 on Mon Apr 30 2012, 14:20

party animal - not! wrote:Mmm. And now his romantic liaison is with a friend!!

I think adgran means that George gets emotional support from The Boys and not primarily from a romantic relationship with a woman.

Lakin460
Slow dancing with George Clooney

Posts : 6802
Join date : 2012-03-01
Location : Ohio, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by davidarochelle on Mon Apr 30 2012, 16:53

I've asked some of my male friends about the appeal of much younger girls. Incorporated below are their responses.
1) Younger girls are in better physical shape. That is false as many mature woman are very health conscious and in superior condition. Come to Vegas and I'll show you plenty.
2) Younger girls don't have kids or ex's to deal with. Again not true; not everyone has the same lifestyle.
3)Younger girls are more pliant, agreeable, hotter in bed. Again not true; it depends on the girl. I am shocked at the number of younger girls who tell me they pretend to be asleep as a way of saying "no," refuse to wear sexy lingerie or short skirts, not interested in going the extra mile to please their men.
4) Younger girls are more likely to admire and even worship an older, more successful man who has certain needs because of his profession and lifestyle. To some this may seem controlling, to others one has chosen and agreed upon a role to be played. Before they become established and have a "name", actresses often are chosen for roles because they are pliant. Demanding directors with so much on the line want those that can be molded to fit in. It is a false assumption that younger girls will be more adaptable.

davidarochelle
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-09-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by it's me on Mon Apr 30 2012, 17:02

very well said!

it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Posts : 16900
Join date : 2011-01-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Pari on Mon Apr 30 2012, 17:41

Katiedot wrote:Sadly I think you're right Lorna. He's after the pretty, and his girlfriends are always going to be in their early 30s, not matter how old he gets.

How would you know that Katie??? That "his girlfriends are always going to be in their early 30s, no matter how old he gets" Just as you say that you voted for Stacy to be around until end of May, so he can have his birthday shag?? (your quote... again)

WHOA!!! Rolling Eyes SET TARGETS?? SET STRATEGY?? cyclops


Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Posts : 1135
Join date : 2011-05-06
Location : Bangalore, India

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Pari on Mon Apr 30 2012, 17:43

Good analysis Davida, thanks I love you Had to mark your note GREEN Give Flowers

Pari
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Posts : 1135
Join date : 2011-05-06
Location : Bangalore, India

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by davidarochelle on Mon Apr 30 2012, 18:10

Pari & it's me,
Always appreciate others approval and understanding, just like G does.

davidarochelle
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-09-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Katiedot on Tue May 01 2012, 08:58

It's called an opinion Pari. Or you really think I own a crystal ball that accurately foretells George Clooney's life?

Katiedot
Admin

Posts : 12369
Join date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Is George Clooney changing his PR strategy?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 08:13


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum