George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
RIP Gerry Rafferty EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

RIP Gerry Rafferty

+3
Vi
it's me
Merlin
7 posters

Go down

RIP Gerry Rafferty Empty RIP Gerry Rafferty

Post by Merlin Wed 05 Jan 2011, 07:31

Singer-songwriter Gerry Rafferty, whose 1970s hits include "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You," has died at age 63, his agent said on Tuesday

I used to love Stealers Wheel and everyday I still listen to Stuck in the Middle with You and Baker Street...
Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

RIP Gerry Rafferty Empty Re: RIP Gerry Rafferty

Post by it's me Wed 05 Jan 2011, 08:38

Rip
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Wed 05 Jan 2011, 08:39

RIP
Vi
Vi
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Wed 05 Jan 2011, 10:43

Ohh until I read the songs I didn't know who he was although the name rang a bell. RIP Gerry but we will always have his music.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Wed 05 Jan 2011, 14:51

That's really sad, they didn't say what he died from did they? RIP Gerry

Loved his music. Bakers Street is one of his best songs and I get "Stuck" stuck in my head a lot. LOL
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 05 Jan 2011, 14:59

Scots singer Gerry Rafferty dies after long illness, age 63

Gerry Rafferty: April 16, 1947 - January 4, 2011

5 Jan 2011
Legendary Scottish singer-songwriter Gerry Rafferty, famed for the classic songs Baker Street and Stuck in The Middle, has died.

He was 63.

The Paisley-born musician, whose songs including Night Owl, Get It Right Next Time and Right Down The Line soundtracked the 1970s, had been admitted to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital last November with liver failure.

He passed away peacefully at home surrounded by family, his daughter Martha said yesterday.

It is understood his funeral will be held in Paisley later this month.

Son of a Scottish mother and an Irish father who began his career as a busker in the London Underground, he achieved world fame as a solo artist in the 1970s following stints in bands The Humblebums with comedian Billy Connolly, and Stealers Wheel, the soft rock band he formed in Paisley in 1972 with school friend Joe Egan.

His most successful albums were the saxophone-driven City To City in 1978 and Night Owl, released the following year.

Baker Street, with its haunting saxophone solo, was still netting him £80,000 a year more than 30 years after it reached number three in the UK charts in 1978.

Director Quentin Tarantino’s use of Stealers Wheel’s Stuck In The Middle in his cult 1992 film Reservoir Dogs exposed Rafferty to a new generation of fans. It had originally been a top 10 hit 19 years earlier.

But while remembered at his best as one of the greatest singer- songwriters Scotland has produced, he had a troubled career and past.

A former pupil of St Mirin’s Academy in Paisley, he played the town’s pub and club circuit at the start of his musical career.

When he was a child, his mother would drag him round the streets of Glasgow, rather than risk him suffering violence at the hands of his father, who would often come home drunk.

He endured battles with the music industry – once taking three years to disentangle contracts – and had been battling alcoholism for years.

In recent years, he was better known for alcohol-fuelled incidents, apparent disappearances and poor health than for his music.

In 1983, five years after Baker Street, Rafferty quit writing and recording songs to “watch my family grow”.

He said: “It dawned on me that since Baker Street I had been touring the world, travelling everywhere and seeing nowhere. It wasn’t difficult for me to walk away from the business. Whatever I do in the future, it’s at my own pace, on my own terms.”

For the next three years, with his former wife Carla and daughter Martha, Rafferty travelled the world before returning to Sussex.

The family then lived quietly in a 17th-century house in the Sussex village of Hartfield, near Tunbridge Wells. Access to the estate was controlled by an electric gate and visitors were discouraged. The villagers rarely saw Rafferty.

In 1990, he was divorced from Carla, whom he met at a dancehall when she was 15 and married five years later.

She said: “There was no hope. I would never have left him if there’d been a glimmer of a chance of him recovering.”

Rafferty moved to California to be near Martha, before moving to Ireland in 2008 and later Dorset.

His last and final album, Another World, was released in 2000. It featured artwork by playwright and artist John Byrne – as well as stills taken by Paisley photographer Andrew Neil.

In 2001, in a rare interview, Rafferty admitted that he had gone out of his way to shun publicity. “I think that, from an early stage in my career, I was aware there were many, many pitfalls to so-called celebrity,” he said.

He hit the headlines two years ago when he trashed his room at the Westbury Hotel in London, where he had been staying for four days. He then checked himself out of London’s St Thomas’s hospital where he was receiving treatment for liver failure.

Last year while rumoured to be missing, he turned up alive and working on new material at his Tuscany home.

Rafferty is survived by his brother Jim, daughter Martha and granddaughter Celia.

Merlin
Merlin
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Wed 05 Jan 2011, 15:38

Thanks Merlin for posting this. I had always wondered why he ducked out of sight after having such a brilliant rise with both of those albums. Very sad story indeed. He was so gifted, but once again alcohol plays a nasty role in ruining what was once a very gifted artist.

Bakers Street in particular is so hauntingly beautiful and soulful. So much feeling put into it's creation. Sad that his life ended like that.
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Wed 05 Jan 2011, 23:24

Talking about Tuscany, Sting runs a bioshop there now. jocolor Shall I get you guys some ... soap ? lol!
Atalante
Atalante
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Thu 06 Jan 2011, 03:20

Thanks Merlin - remembering his song well!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum