I forgot my password

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The Descendants

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Descendants

Post by lucy on Wed 25 May 2011, 23:26

Wow!!!! thanks again laetval, yesterday I'd lost my clooney glow and that trailer may have brought it back! Looks good, he looks good damn him!
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney on Wed 25 May 2011, 23:38

LOL, have faith .. lucy, hang in there!
Clooney
Learning to love George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle on Wed 25 May 2011, 23:58

This looks totally amazing. He is playing a role totally appropriate for his age and from the brief trailer he looks like he is nailing it.
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Thu 26 May 2011, 00:47

I am getting more excited now to see it after this trailer. December WHEN???
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny on Thu 26 May 2011, 01:36

The trailer for the movie is great - I cannot wait for this movie!

bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Thu 26 May 2011, 10:41

Thank you anonymous tipster for this press release from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

THE DESCENDANTS

Release Date: December 16, 2011

Directed by: Alexander Payne
Screenplay by: Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
Based on the novel by: Kaui Hart Hemmings
Produced by: Jim Burke, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor
Cast: George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Beau Bridges, Robert Forster, Judy Greer, Matthew Lillard, Nick Krause, Amara Miller, Mary Birdsong, Rob Huebel, Patricia Hastie

From Alexander Payne, the creator of the Oscar-winning SIDEWAYS, set in Hawaii, THE DESCENDANTS is a sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic journey for Matt King (George Clooney) an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki.

The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family’s land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Thu 26 May 2011, 13:10

Ok, since the trailer's release there's been heaps of comments about it on the web. Generally all mentions are posititive with quite a few Oscar mentions and a certain amount of glee about George playing a loser who gets cheated on. Not sure why the latter - surely they realise he's acting?

Anyway, here's a bunch of them to be starting with and feel free to add any good ones you come across:

From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

George Clooney Has To Be A Father In The First Trailer For The Descendants

published: 2011-05-25 14:24:20 Author: Eric Eisenberg

Over the years we've seen George Clooney play many roles. He's been a doctor, an airborne businessman, a soldier, a psychic, a thief, a fugitive, a hitman, a football player and a spy. But while the guy has dabbled in seemingly every profession known to man, one job that rarely shows up on his resume is "father." Enter Alexander Payne's The Descendants.

Apple has posted the trailer for the film - which actually isn't due out until December 16 - which is the Payne's first since 2004's Sideways. Based on the book by Kaui Hart Hemmings, Clooney plays Matt King, a man suddenly left alone after his wife is involved in a boating accident and is stuck in the hospital. Doing his best to take care of his two children, he experiences a huge revelation: the woman he loves has been cheating on him.

The Descendants Trailer: George Clooney Gets Nearly Widowed, Definitely Cuckolded

5/25/11 at 5:30 pm.

Back when Alexander Payne made Sideways in 2004, George Clooney was angling for the part that eventually went to Thomas Haden Church. Why did Payne turn down one of the world's biggest movie stars? Because, as he explained to Clooney at the time, it was hard for him to buy that a handsome, famous A-lister could play such a loser.

Somewhere along the way in the seven years since Payne has made a film, he apparently softened his stance, because the trailer just came out for his upcoming movie The Descendants, and Clooney is definitely reveling in his newly bestowed loserdom.

The actor plays a distant man who must take care of his angry daughters after his wife ends up in the hospital, a development that also exposes her extramarital affair (he is not having a very good month, you could say). Looks good and decidedly dramatic ... as long as it doesn't end in any stilted yearbook signatures, we're in! [Coming Soon]

It's taken forever for terrific director Alexander Payne to ready the follow up to his acclaimed 2004 sleeper Sideways but, judging by the trailer (below), it looks like it'll be worth the wait. The Descendants stars George Clooney as Matt King a middle aged dad trying to handle the responsibility of raising his teenage daughters after an accident leaves their mother in a coma. An additional spanner is tossed into the works when Matt learns his wife was having an affair pre-coma. Cue valuable life lessons, boatloads of pathos and a score that, while cheesy, is guaranteed to boost Kleenex sales.

The movie also boasts a great supporting cast of Beau Bridges, Matthew Lillard, Judy Greer and Robert Forster, however this is clearly Clooney's movie and likely Oscar bait. Great to see the stone cold silver fox playing an old dude with a cheating wife instead of his usual pants-man schtick. He's still a DILF though...

The Descendants hits cinemas on the Academy Awards-friendly date of December 6.

"The Descendants" Trailer Is, Not Surprisingly, an Amusing Bummer

It's been seven years since writer-director Alexander Payne delivered a feature-length film, but it appears that his fears about spending middle-age alone have not abated one bit.

In 1999 Matthew Broderick lunged for the affections of Reese Witherspoon only to end up alone in "Election." In 2002 Jack Nicholson realized he had not yet begun to live until he was forced into retirement in "About Schmidt." In 2005 Paul Giammatti was a man still pining for his ex who blows his first chance at love with Virginia Madsen in "Sideways."

And now George Clooney's wife goes into a coma, leaving him to raise their two daughters, one of whom drops a bomb on him in "The Descendants." Here's the official synopsis:

From Alexander Payne, the creator of the Oscar-winning SIDEWAYS, set in Hawaii, THE DESCENDANTS is a sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic journey for Matt King (George Clooney) an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki. The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family's land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries.

The trailer feels a bit familiar, though it's not devoid of charm and Robert Forster has great moment playing what appears to be Clooney's father, which is brilliant casting is [sic] it's true.

"The Descendants" opens Dec. 16

Trailers: ‘The Descendants’

Posted on May 25, 2011 by Josh Youngerman

It’s been a long time for Alexander Payne but I am pleased to say that the first trailer for his new comedy, the first since 2004′s Oscar winning hit Sideways, has been released.

The film is another adaptation of a book and finds the director returning to familiar territory of both Sideways and About Schmidt with another dysfunctional family comedy, this time starring George Clooney as the ineffective dad.

Like Election, Sideways, and About Schmidt, The Descendants is also based on a book, this one by Kaui Hart Hemmings. This time he has abandoned his usual screenwriting partner Jim Taylor in favor of what is sure to be a bizarre combination of actors Jim Rash and Nat Faxon.

The story looks to be a quirky dark comedy about a dad who must take care of his two kids after his wife gets hurt in some kind of accident. However he soon finds out that his wife has had an affair with another man.

The film was shot in Hawaii and co-stars Matthew Lillard, Judy Greer, Robert Forster, and Shailene Woodley.

I am a fan of Payne’s previous work, my favorite probably being About Schmidt, and I am eager to see how his film turns out without his usual collaborator Taylor. The trailer looks very funny and off-beat, and does a good job of avoiding sentimentality.

I appreciate George Clooney’s recent willingness to really stretch his acting chops both with Up in the Air and The American. He appears to be playing a schlub here, something completely different than what he has done before.

The film comes out December 6th with Fox Searchlight distributing.

Last edited by Katiedot on Thu 26 May 2011, 13:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : having problems with links)
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone on Fri 27 May 2011, 04:52

Wow, we have to wait till Dec 16th!!

Looks like it's going to be a fantastic film. Thanks for the trailer and info.
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Fri 27 May 2011, 09:53

Dec. 16th? Why, I can understand the holiday opening for maximum effect, but they have made the wait for this film way to long and I want to see it this summer!
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Fri 27 May 2011, 10:48

I can only guess that it's being released in time for oscar season. Good for those involved in the fiml, not so good for us.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle on Fri 27 May 2011, 15:49

I wonder how this will impact IOM? Maybe it won't be released this year. I would assume it would be tough to sell two films as oscar worthy.
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Fri 27 May 2011, 15:58

I thought that IOM was to be released in October? Since IOM isn't a starring role for him, he could be nomed as Best Director, Best Supporting Role, Best Film, and then for Descendants - Best Actor and Best Film. I could see 5 noms.

IMHO, I think he wants Best Director, Best Movie and Best Actor. And, I think in that order.
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Fri 27 May 2011, 17:13

I think best director would be something great for him, but I';m sure any oscar is a good oscar.
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny on Fri 27 May 2011, 22:55

I cannot wait for this movie -- the trailer looks great. I hope George gets his best actor oscar - He has really been wanting that!
bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Sat 28 May 2011, 01:31

Yeah, I think he wants best actor more than he wants best director.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sat 28 May 2011, 01:53

I don't know Katie. The reason I say that is, even though he's contradicted himself by saying he wants to be behind the scenes and now he's signed up for all these acting gigs, I think he wants to "prove" that he has directing skills after some not so stellar attempts. I know he's not won for best actor, but he has received acting accolades. I kinda believe that he "wants it all", and I believe that he has the ambition to achieve that. Maybe that's why he's working so hard?
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by blubelle on Sat 28 May 2011, 17:09

I agree with you Melbert. I think he takes some movie roles so he can finance the movies he directs with little interference from the power brokers.
blubelle
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sat 28 May 2011, 17:41

Totally Blubelle - he has said "one for you, one for me", or something real close.
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval on Sun 29 May 2011, 13:47

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sun 29 May 2011, 14:56

Thanks Laetval!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney on Mon 30 May 2011, 04:15

Oh dear god what did he just take out of that pool?
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Mon 30 May 2011, 05:04

Leaves
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney on Mon 30 May 2011, 07:23

I thought it might be something else from how much was in the net, lol.
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Mon 30 May 2011, 13:15

Lots of landscaping around the pool, makes for bigger clean-up.
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq on Mon 30 May 2011, 18:28

Clooney wrote:Oh dear god what did he just take out of that pool?
LOL! Looks like leaves to me.

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by watching on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 00:07

Was just reading Lainey and guess what other films are scheduled for Dec 16 release?

Sherlock Holmes 2 & Mission Impossible 4.

If that is the case, maybe he will actually have to promote this one. Also, I can see the benefit to keeping Betty around til then solely for the sake of press attention. If this is his competition, he will need all the help he can get.
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 03:56

Why specifically does he need Betty for the press attention?

Firstly, he's capable of getting PR by himself and has been doing it for his entire career quite successfully.

Secondly if you say that he gets more attention when he has a girlfriend, then it's true that it could be any girlfriend, not specifically Betty.

We could even say that a new girlfriend rather than one who's been around for two years would get him much more press coverage than Betty. So why would he have to keep her around?
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 07:47

When he has a GF at events for films IMO it takes/steals the attention away from the film/co-stars etc.
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by watching on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:13

JMO - Look at ther level of attention he gets when he is with Betty (or any gf). The press in general are more interest in celeb couples than in a single. Do I think he could sell the films without arm candy - sure. But in the recent past when he is looking for attention and box office receipts, he always seems to have a woman on his arm when he turns up for the premiere. And he just happens to be papped regularly in candids leading up to the release which is much easier when he has a MAW on the back of his motorcycle as that makes an easy story for the press to write.

Betty could get out on her bikini and drum up some attention (the paps always turn up for that - look at Cannes) and that way George doesn't look like the blatant famewhore that he is. But his name still gets in the mix as he is the bigger name. Betty has media contacts - her PETA adverts come out in the fall. My guess in the lead up to Ides coming out so people are talking and getting momentum up about one or both of them as a unit i.e The George and Betty show.

And it could be any gf (that he gets the media attention with) but with the turn around time from now to Oct I don't think he could present a new gf without raising a few eyebrows. A public split (especially in light of the recent denial) and a chatty girlfriend who has been telling everyone who will listen how in love they are and that he is her everything could become the focus inside of a side issue. I don't think he could get people to forget the split (Betty is not going to go quietly) then present a new gf in time for Ides without a few comments andthe focus being on why the split. that doesn't help promote the film. The staus quo keeps the attention the way George likes it. No left field issues. Everything is under control and staged managed by Stan. He has had the heartless playboy / womaniser tag attached to him before. And with Descendants coming out in Dec, that may work against the marketing of the film. JMO.
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:19

I'm not sure but something about that post makes me angry. Perhaps it's because I don't judge when it's not my business.
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by watching on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 10:53

Frenchies posted this at her site so credit where credit is due.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

59 shots from the film.
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by Clooney on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 11:29

Thanks, watching.
Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:18

Thanks Watching, and thanks also for giving the credit to Frenchies. I appreciate that.
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bellybaby on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 14:05

A day ago on E, they showed the trailer for the Descendents...as a sneek peek....wow, and it doesn't open til Dec.....kinda early, isn't it? No mention of what he was currently working on, or Eli...

bellybaby
Ooh, Mr Clooney!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 15:05

I hope they don't spend the next 5 months showing us bits n' pieces until we've seen most of the film, or we've heard interviews from all cast members so many times that we know everything about the film before it's out. Not that marketing isn't helpful in the money-making process, it sometimes IMO goes to far. There have been times in the past 5-10 years that I won't even watch a film until a year later after Dvd" repeat advertising" has come and gone. It usually takes that long for me to forget a bit, to distance myself so I can watch the film without all the build-up, all the expectations I have, that IMO most films just can't live up to their hype.This is un-like CRS, due to constant visuals, it takes me a year to forget. Melbert if you read this maybe you could come up with a phrase for this?
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 03:18

Lucy, it would be FATS Forget All The Shit!!!!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 04:56

I knew it, when I couldn't come up with a phase I knew you could thanks Melbert.
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 12:11

I can't wait to see this movie. I think is going to be great!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 22:13

Any time Lucy!!

I agree LouisLane! I just can't wait!!!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 23:17

LOVE the acronyms; CRS, FATS !!

I understand what you are saying watching, but perhaps Stan should back out of helping with relationships, IF that is what he is doing. Look at another of Stan's clients, Charlie Sheen and his relationships, not very impressive. Maybe George should hire Angel to manage his relationships. Girls do it better anyway!
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 01:04

AND, Stan represents Kelsey Grammer too! He's batting 1000 so far! But, I agree, Angel would handle things much better. She would LISTEN to us!!!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Natascha on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 02:27

She's a woman, so, naturally, she would listen to us!
Natascha
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:46

Interview with Rob Huegel (actor) - thanks, Henway.

What can you tell me about The Descendants which is coming out later this year?
It was really an amazing experience. I got to go to Hawaii for three weeks and work with George Clooney, and one of my favorite directors, Alexander Payne. I have a very small part in the movie, but when you get the chance to go to Hawaii and hang out with those people—

You don’t really say no to that.
Yeah, you don’t turn it down. It was really great. Alexander Payne is one of those directors who is completely in charge and knows exactly what he wants, which is really fun. It’s fun when a director is very specific. He knows totally the tone that he’s going for. It makes it easier than if everyone’s just guessing and trying to figure it out.

That’s no fun. It’s fun when the director knows what he wants. He’s that type of guy. George Clooney is exactly what you would expect. He’s annoyingly good looking, insanely funny and super smart. So you just feel really inferior around him all the time. You end up feeling really bad about yourself, but you walk away feeling really great about George Clooney
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 18:15

Is it December yet? I cannot wait for this movie!

Back to top Go down

Post by PigLove on Wed 29 Jun 2011, 04:16

I echo Cinderella's statement!!!!

Why, though, when it was shot so much before IOM is it coming out AFTER? Are they adding a bunch of CGI dinosaurs and zombies in post-prod?

Wow, Katiedot, I love the new question marks! They're so squiggly.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
PigLove
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 02:45

HiYa PigLove!!!! Are you back for good now??? Missed ya GF!!!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Jul 2011, 23:04

So, I went to see Larry Crowne yesterday and I saw the descendants trailer, Smile. Can't wait to see this movie. Hoorah!

ps: I also saw moneyball's trailer, argh...I mean, I like baseball stories, I just wish Brd Pitt wasn't in it, Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sisieq on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 03:02

Release Dates

USA – 16 December 2011

Germany – 19 January 2012

UK – 20 January 2012

Netherlands – 2 February 2012

France – 29 February 2012

sisieq
Training to be Mrs Clooney?

Back to top Go down

Post by lucy on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 04:29

Know what I'm doing Dec. 16 2011, this and IOM is not something I'll wait on, it already has been too long!
lucy
Clooney Zen Master

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 05:01

And I may have to change my "no theater" policy and go, go, go!!!
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum