George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World?

3 posters

Go down

Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? Empty Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World?

Post by Katiedot Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:26

Hmmm, I'd never thought of it from this perspective before. The problem is, as I see it, if they don't say anything then we may never progress but if they do say something they can cause damage. The sad thing is that although celebs may say and do the right things, they've no control over how the media reports it and the result may be a distorted version that causes more harm than good. What to do?

From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World?

Sally Nnamaniin

From George Clooney to Angelina Jolie and Don Cheadle, celebrities have shown that by manipulating their star power, they can lend a well-needed boost to causes seeking the center stage while enhancing their public image. Madonna is not a newcomer to campaigning for causes; the pop phenomenon and self-proclaimed freedom fighter has vowed to speak out against the anti-gay law recently passed in St. Petersburg, Russia that bans LGBT propaganda that could give minors the false perception that traditional and nontraditional relationships are socially equal.

While Madonna and other celebrities involved in causes pertaining to the global gay community carry good intentions in speaking out and raising awareness, does their involvement do more good than harm? The answer is yes and no.

Whenever a famous face is attached to a campaign, it attracts more publicity. Consider Nancy Reagan’s Just Say No anti-drug campaign in the 1980s and the Magic Johnson’s Foundation for HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention in the 1990s. While the overall success of these campaigns remain debatable, they were triumphant in bringing the issues they represented to a wider audience. This is the advantage that celebrities and public figures can offer to social causes in dire need of increased visibility and funding.

However, according to the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association (ILGA), 76 of the 193 members of the United Nations have laws criminalizing homosexuality. Most of these countries hail from cultures abhorrent to western ideals of freedom and individuality. Homosexuality is therefore viewed as a western import and celebrities offering to shepherd the gay cause only reinforce this suspicion.

In addition, celebrities speaking out against laws in other countries and encouraging the international community to reprimand countries may incite sovereignty issues. As has been common in recent years, humanitarian issues have been used to mask military invasions driven by other agendas making these concerns very legitimate. For example, last November, UK Prime Minister David Cameron threatened to cut the bilateral aid known as general budget support to countries that refuse to reform laws which criminalize homosexuality. The Prime Minister’s threat was met with repulsion and condemned as a colonial display of power. Therefore, his threats did not help, but rather retarded the growing gay movement in these countries.

Furthermore, cultural differences should also be weighed. While explicit criminalization of homosexual behavior by a state is unjust, we should also keep in mind that laws based on morality stem from deep-rooted cultural and religious structures that are profoundly embedded in the social fabric of these societies. Thus, we should be careful not to impose our perceptions of “right” and “wrong.”

Movements fare better when they are represented by person(s) from within and if help is offered from the outside, it should be well strategized as to ensure that there are no conflicting interests that may hinder the core mission of the movement. As a touchy subject here in the U.S. where homosexuals are still barred from rights enjoyed by their heterosexual counterparts, celebrities involved in global gay activism are doing a noble deed by raising awareness, but they should also be cautious not to yield unintended consequences by their involvement
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? Empty Re: Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World?

Post by Dexterdidit Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:44

I can see what they are saying and it's true. Countries can get very cranky when they feel they are being told off by a foreigner no matter how well meaning that person or the cause is. And Western society is still not trusted and in some countries very demonised. I never even thought of that. You tend to take things for granted.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World? Empty Re: Are Celebrities Like Madonna and George Clooney Helping or Hurting Gay Rights Across the World?

Post by Astras Fri 30 Mar 2012, 00:56

I think people like George and Madonna speaking out on important human rights issues inspire other people to let their voices be heard and to take up the fight. That is how real change comes to pass - a majority of people finally say enough is enough and work to effect change. It is true that change must come from within, but when we see a popular figure willing to speak out, it can help move us to action. I often feel that people who write these kind of *well meaning* articles mask a hidden agenda underneath a guise of genial devil's advocacy. I mean, what is she saying? That celebrities SHOULDN'T speak out because someone in another country who doesn't believe in rights for all people might get offended? If no one took offense, then there wouldn't be any need for people like George to speak out. Very Happy Change does not come without a price, sadly.

I do respect your comments though Dexterdidit. It is easy to forget that not everyone holds the same values as most Western Societies. But I do think it's important that human beings are treated with dignity and respect, regardless of citizenship or religion. But I suppose that's a whole other argument entirely.
Astras
Astras
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down