George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine

+4
it's me
Katiedot
melbert
laetval
8 posters

Go down

The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine Empty The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine

Post by laetval Sun 11 Mar 2012, 13:30

link

George Clooney Lacked Confidence? How 'The Descendants' Helped Him Grow Up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

George Clooney plays the kind of man he isn't in "The Descendants" -- ambivalent about life, uncertain about his role as father and husband, a passive link in a long Hawaiian chain. As lawyer and cuckold Matt King, he manages to convey both pathos and humor, often in a single scene. In an exclusive interview with TheWrap he spoke to me about that, and about growing up.

In "The Descendants," you've gotten to that point where you're able to play a real guy who is sad and touching but also very funny.

You go through these steps as you get older, and you watch the guys who did it best -- Newman and guys like that -- as they rolled into character actors. You have to begin to deal with questions of loss: of confidence, of skill. I did that with "Michael Clayton" and "Up in the Air." In this one, this is a guy who never won an argument. He loses arguments to 10-year-olds. I would say it's a coming-of-age story for a 50-year-old man. When I read it I thought, "I'm not sure if I can do this," which is a good thing.

Why?

If it weren't Alexander Payne, I don't know if I would have jumped -- unless it were the Coen brothers or Steven Soderbergh. You don't do parts like that with people unless you trust them.

Or David Russell -- we can talk about him later.

I actually was at a dinner party a couple of weeks ago with David. I saw him and he saw me and I walked over and I go, "Are we done?" and he's like, "Yeah, we're done." And he gave me a big hug, and I gave him a hug, and I said, "Listen, I don't want to be mad at you. We made a really good film ['Three Kings']." And he goes, "I don't want to be mad at you anymore." I go, "So let's stop." And he said, "Great." So it was a nice moment.

Anyway, back to why you weren't sure you could do this movie...

I wasn't confident in doing it. I was confident in working with Alexander, and I was confident that if I could do it, it would be with him.

But what about "Up in the Air," where you showed such a beautiful vulnerability?

There's a difference. That character was immensely confident, and then he gets knocked off his horse. This [Matt King] is a guy who has absolutely no confidence. When I was writing "Good Night and Good Luck," I was writing it to play the part of Edward R.

Murrow. And then as Grant Heslov and I finished writing, I really realized that I couldn't play that part because the character has a supreme sadness to him always -- a great, heavy weight on his shoulders that no one ascribes to me, ever. And it's something you can't act your way through. This was a part for me that I couldn't have done five years ago. This required me getting older, getting to a place in my career where I could do it.

I think that's why the performance was a standout. It says a lot about you and how you've honed your skills.

Well, this one was harder because it's finding the line, because there was a lot of funny and a lot of sad. Sometimes it turns on a dime, and that's not easy to do.

The scene where you are running down the street -- you have that look on your face that's like out of a Coen brothers movie, but it's a real thing.

It was funny because the first time I did the run, Alexander started laughing, and I started laughing, and then I realized now I'm going to have to do this about 40 more times. I just wanted him to actually have absolutely no athletic skill at all. I wanted him to feel like just a running goose, with all of his emotions sort of out there.

It's really fun to be in movies that you're proud of. You know, it's hard to do them.

This article appears in the just-published issue of Oscar Wrap, the insider's guide to all things Oscar.

laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine Empty Re: The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine

Post by melbert Sun 11 Mar 2012, 16:29

Thanks for sharing Laetval!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine Empty Re: The cast of THE DESCENDANTS covers The Wrap Magazine

Post by Katiedot Sun 11 Mar 2012, 16:35

I love how he talks about his vulnerabilities as an actor. It's hard sometimes to imagine him worrying over the roles he takes.

Thanks for posting, Laetval. Nice to see you online!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 11 Mar 2012, 16:38

right

It's hard sometimes to imagine him worrying over the roles he takes.

human, afterall! Very Happy

great pic...

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Sun 11 Mar 2012, 19:16

Thanks Katie, it's hard to be online the week and the week-end there is not so much news on george.
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by EEOsandy Sun 11 Mar 2012, 20:14

Nice article.
EEOsandy
EEOsandy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Sun 11 Mar 2012, 20:26

Great article.

I enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting. Give Flowers

Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by zizi Sun 11 Mar 2012, 21:17

Thanks Leatval. We would miss a lot without your effort in providing us with many interesting bits and pieces for our enjoyment. flower

zizi
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sun 11 Mar 2012, 21:39

We'll take you anytime you can give us Laetval! You are the BEST!! Give Flowers
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Astras Sun 11 Mar 2012, 22:06

Thank you for posting this Laetval! A wonderful read. I will always have a soft spot for this film and the people who made it because they are all so lovely. Especially the great Robert Forster. A bigger sweetheart of a man you will not find.
Astras
Astras
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 11 Mar 2012, 23:52

lovely cast
sure Very Happy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down