George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

+69
chiki
mosaic
francis100
What Would He Say
Juliette Hardy
Carla97
Nicky80
minette
Mary-Lou
very vera
Dior
Picachu
pizza
ktsue2002
TURIGOL
aflower1325
LieutenantGEORGE.STOUT
Lt Cdr Georgie Stout
Barbara Garabedian
fava
theminis
cupcake
NotAvailable
Mazy
pattygirl
laetval
Pink Ice 1990
Cyteen
playfuldeb
flyingsolo
A(CUTE)-CASE-CLOONEYITIS
OofOof
amaretti
tzizz
Best in Category
Vi
cindigirl
Way2Old4Dis
party animal - not!
Lighterside
Lakin460
Ello
davidarochelle
bamboochacha
adgran
LornaDoone
lelacorb
Sirius12
watching
fluffy
Michelle meyers
macs
Cinderella
Natascha
alriv
zizi
lucy
silly girl
Maggy
Missa
Atalante
Duffy
melbert
it's me
Katiedot
Joanna
dakota007
73 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 Empty Re: George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 19:24

Bad example my friend but anyway I agree
The best way to present such story in these tough days

WELL DONE FOLKS !!!!
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 13 Empty Re: George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Aug 2013, 21:20

If folks have ever talked to anyone who survived WW2 across Europe then you'll know they only ever talked about the funny things that happened. I know my Dad did and he went over on D Day.
How do you think they survived such traumas ?
The young generation now wouldn't be able to survive what those men went through.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 21:21

Maybe
maybe not

Don't even want to know
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 08 Aug 2013, 21:25

I am not saying there weren't funny moments and I too had an Uncle who was in the War ---- I just read the book and it seems much different than what I read. The impression I got of the real George Stout was that he was a perfectionist but I didn't get a jokey feel about him. Again this is just a few seconds of a much longer story but that was my first impression.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 21:26

Well I have, but didn´t hear funny things. Person was very funny otherwise.

I think they have taken right approach to it, with humor, with the music. And pictures are from that era, every little detail.

I like it a lot, it´s short trailer, but gives an very good impression of the film. So looking really good.
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 22:21

Yes
Really very much good

What are they saying about it? Who knows news?
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 08 Aug 2013, 23:45

Lainey has some great comments today.

The trailer is really clever. And I suspect that there is the right level of seriousness and thoughtfulness where there needs to be......this is the teaser in all senses of the word.

Google shows blanket coverage

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 09 Aug 2013, 01:28

Joanna wrote:If folks have ever talked to anyone who survived WW2 across Europe then you'll know they only ever talked about the funny things that happened. I know my Dad did and he went over on D Day.
How do you think they survived such traumas ?
The young generation now wouldn't be able to survive what those men went through.

Spot on Joanna,

In the face of the unbearable horrors of the world, there you will find the brightest smile, the biggest laughter...I have always found the bravest most courageous people are those with the best sense of humour, and the braver the more irreverent ....XXX
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 08:43

I found a lot of positive articals about the trailer but also this one. This didn't sound so positive. All critics welcome right....

Clooney's Next Movie Is Based on a Story You Won't Believe
By Sharan Shetty

Good news for film fans: The George Clooney-Grant Heslov partnership is alive and well. The Monuments Men, directed by Clooney and co-written and co-produced by Heslov, just released its first trailer, and it tells a true story that seems almost too far-fetched to believe.

The movie is based on Robert Edsel’s book of the same name about the efforts of seven of the so-called “Monuments Men” (formally, the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives program), an Allied force of about 400 men and women tasked with locating and protecting cultural treasures threatened by the Nazi regime. In short, these Ivy League art professors, museum curators, and art historians, often without formal supervision, braved the trenches of World War II to ensure the survival of Europe’s cultural history. After learning about this, George Clooney had the same thought any sane person would: Sounds like a movie.

But is Clooney on the hunt for anything more? Until now, his directorial career has mirrored his frequent social activism: The probing Good Night, and Good Luck and the cynical Ides of March were explicit in their political messages. Those movies also gunned for Oscars, and Oscar prognosticators have been expecting a similar campaign from his latest feature.

Monuments Men, however, seems bereft of agenda, and concerned much more with old-fashioned Hollywood entertainment—not quite as playful (or bad, hopefully) as Clooney’s Leatherheads, but still aimed at delivering laughs and adventure. From the trailer, the film doesn’t seem to be baiting Oscar, but the pitch to buddy Matt Damon must have been simple: “It’s Ocean’s Eleven meets Saving Private Ryan, and in between takes we can hang with John Goodman, Bill Murray, and Cate Blanchett!”

Damon was down, and so am I.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 09:02

Here is something better:

Monuments Men Trailer: Watch George Clooney and Matt Damon Resume Their Bromance With World War II Drama

Brad Pitt's not the only one killin' Nazis.

Though he beat them to the punch in Inglorious Basterds, his Ocean's pals George Clooney and Matt Damon are aiming to play catch up in the forthcoming World War II drama The Monuments Men, the first trailer for which has hit the Internet.

Only based on this teaser, instead of takin' German scalps, the duo is out to save thousands of priceless works of art from Hitler and his armies bent on ultimately destroying generations of European collective history and culture.

The film, cowritten, produced and directed by Clooney, is based on a true story and stars the A-lister as George Stout, an American officer tasked with enlisting eight "unlikely heroes" for a daring mission that will drop them in the middle of the war zone.

While there, Stout and his "Monuments Men" will help direct G.I.s on what they can and cannot blow up as they defeat Hitler's war machine, but it's not exactly the dirty dozen.

It's more like the arty eight—a team comprised of "architects and artists," as Damon's character, James Rorimer, points out while being pitched the seemingly unfathomable plan.

"Aren't we a little old for that?" he asks Stout.

"Yes, we go through basic and then we wait for order," Clooney's mustachioed military man replies dryly.

Of course, he means basic training, and signing up to play the pair's band of brothers are Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Hugh Bonneville and Bob Balaban.

"So we get to shoot some Nazis?" asks Balaban.

It sure beats the office. Though as Damon's Rorimer finds out soon enough toward the end of the trailer, it's best to avoid land mines.

While the movie looks to have a fair amount of action, no doubt the serious subject of preserving peoples' cultural heritage will have strongly appeal to Oscar voters.

The Monuments Men, which also costars Cate Blanchett, hits theaters on Dec. 18—right in time for awards season.

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 09 Aug 2013, 09:41

Let's let them talk....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 09:53

If it had sad or depressing tone in it, they would say it´s schindler´s list all over again, but on arts.

Some people, critics you simply can´t please. Smile
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:00

What does "Damon was down, and so am I" mean ?

Will George be pleased or pissed that comparisons are being made to Ocean's 11 after such a short glimpse 
of his film ?
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:03

Baby.... whatever was I guess we never know

Anyway I guess he would not

JMO
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:26

Joanna wrote:What does "Damon was down, and so am I" mean ?

Will George be pleased or pissed that comparisons are being made to Ocean's 11 after such a short glimpse 
of his film ?
I think in the context of what is written in the above paragraph of that critic's review, "Damon was down, and so am I" implies that Damon agreed to be in on the plan (in the bar scene) and the reviewer was down on it (in on it; looking forward to the film) too.
It's in a positive way:
"I'm down" is colloquial American for being in agreement.

Also, I don't think many comparisons will emerge with Ocean's 11. Only because Clooney & Damon are identified with that blockbuster franchise, that parallels emerge. Oh, and it involves a plan with stealth.  That's just a gross generalisation.

When Burn After Reading came out, some were pitching Clooney & Pitt together again since Ocean's 13..sigh...

Last edited by Juliette Hardy on Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrections)
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by mosaic Fri 09 Aug 2013, 12:46

Yes, Juliette, you've got the meaning of "I'm down with that". Americans like to confuse the Brits as much as possible. Smile

I've seen several comparisons, too--calling it "Ocean's 8". Yep. Rolling Eyes 

mosaic
Clooney Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Fri 09 Aug 2013, 13:04

Thanks Juliette....I'm wiser now... Lol
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 22:04

Not sure if that was posted already:

Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Matt Damon: Clooney is talented

Matt Damon admires the talents of George Clooney both in front of and behind the camera.

Matt Damon says George Clooney is "an insanely talented guy".

The actor is set to rejoin his Ocean's co-star for The Monuments Men, a true story about a team tasked with rescuing stolen art from the Nazis.

George not only stars in the movie, but also directs it, and Matt has nothing but praise for his onscreen achievements.

"George is an insanely talented guy," Matt gushed to the latest edition of Total Film. "He's written two screenplays, they've both been Oscar nominated. As a director, each one of his movies is fantastic, but this is the biggest movie he's done; this is a huge, epic movie and he's incredibly prepared. In fact, he's so prepared he cuts in camera the way that Spielberg does and Clint does in that he doesn't shoot anything extra."

Matt isn't showing any signs of slowing down on the work front. He's also got a project with Ben Affleck lined up, but says, regardless of this, his family comes first. Matt gave up directing Promised Land as it meant too much time away from home, and says he learnt values like this from observing movie greats before him.

"I think I had a lot of good examples of people who from the beginning of my career had a good take on things and had things in perspective," he admitted.

"Danny DeVito, Tom Hanks and Robin Williams. Tom and Robin were probably two of the biggest movie stars in the world at that time and they were so great and so gracious and committed to their work, and they were really great role models for a young actor to have."

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:22

Amazing how much care in that reconstruction

Isn't it? cyclops 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:27

Error 404: Not Found

I bet, but I have to log out and see without proxy.

I love technology sunny 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:28

I love that kitchen....it looks like it could be a "French' movie....they (French) seem to take the same care with sets....BUT I don't get to the movies much...so maybe I'm talking crap (again)
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:35

It was already posted
Kitchen pic of MM
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Sat 17 Aug 2013, 13:31

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 17 Aug 2013, 14:07

Thank for those shots!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 17 Aug 2013, 15:19

Thank you Laetval!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 17 Aug 2013, 16:28

Yes, these are great pictures!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 17 Aug 2013, 17:03

Love the pics thank you.   Give Flowers  

I like the fourth one with the sunglasses. It looks funny to me these sunglasses with that helmet hehe
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 23 Aug 2013, 21:16

It's Ita
About stolen art pieces...

Eng

it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 24 Aug 2013, 06:38

Thanks so much for the article IM it is great.
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 24 Aug 2013, 08:44

Oh grazie Mazy! Hug1 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Vi Sat 24 Aug 2013, 10:10

thx laetval

the pics are great
Vi
Vi
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Sat 24 Aug 2013, 14:15

laetval
laetval

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sat 24 Aug 2013, 14:25

Smokehouse are releasing their own pix - is that new?

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 24 Aug 2013, 14:46

party animal - not! wrote:Smokehouse are releasing their own pix - is that new?
I have only seen it recently with Monuments Men, it was nice to see.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 24 Aug 2013, 15:04

Doesn't George look dashing in uniform?  Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks Laetval for these pics!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 24 Aug 2013, 15:17

I gotta say seeing him all those months with the mustache while filming I hated how he looked. I guess film does make people look better as I don't think he looks so bad in the stills. He must have a great cinematographer.

Wink

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Mon 26 Aug 2013, 14:40

link

George Clooney and the Raiders of the Lost Art

The actor completed his new film, "The Monuments Men" on rescue works stolen by the Nazis. Meet a star at work.

Bad Grund, southwest of Goslar, Lower Saxony, in the heart of the Harz Mountains, Germany. Forty-third day of filming The Monuments Men, the fifth film as director George Clooney. The day before, on 6 May, he celebrated his 52 years. It is 11 h 25 and tumbling here at base camp, and dashing mustache, jeans and blue hooded sweatshirt navy. A broad smile, he launched a "Willkommen!" Of circumstance, together with a solid handshake. He just put the box in the first stage of the day and worried about the rain that could jeopardize the next level in the coming hours.

Adapted from the bestseller by Robert Edsel, The Monuments Men (Editions JC Lattes) tells the extraordinary treasure hunt of a group of experts convened on the initiative of General Eisenhower and under the leadership of President Roosevelt. Their mission: to find the thousands of works of art confiscated by the Nazis on the orders of Hitler. "I'm attracted to unconventional projects, says Clooney. And I've always wanted to make a film against the backdrop of World War II, like the ones I like: The Train, John Frankenheimer, The Great Escape, John Sturges, and A Bridge Too Far, Richard Attenborough. The history of these men is truly unique monuments. These men were not heroes, but for the most part, fifties or more in 1944 landed on the beaches of Normandy and left to fend for themselves in their quest. Nobody wanted to help. I shoot in anamorphic to give an epic dimension. The pace will be supported, peppered with funny moments, like The Dirty Dozen! Often in tragic times, humor is the only antidote. It was important to incorporate this element, without neglecting action thriller, nor of course betray the memory of this commando like no other. "

For the cast, Clooney and Grant Heslov, his longtime producer (they have been friends for thirty years), have applied their usual criteria. "Bringing together a nice group of actors company, uncomplicated and with whom we get along well, which makes everything easier." John Goodman, Bill Murray, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonneville responded to the call. "To convince Matt Damon, Clooney jokes, we have simply told him it would be the star of the movie!"

"I regret not speak French"

Cate Blanchett plays a French resistant stationed at the Jeu de Paume Museum. The character was inspired by the true Rose Valland durable big secret that lived in the stolen works, which facilitated their return after the war. Not to mention - crowing! - Jean Dujardin, whose character is modeled on Jacques Jaujard, director of the National Museum at the time. "It is great, you see, promises Clooney. So good that I wanted to remove from her first scene! This is a great imitator: he imitated everyone. I'm sorry I do not speak French because it is hilarious. I think we would be good friends if we speak the same language. "

The real names of monuments men have been changed. "To have more freedom to do less perfect and idealized characters," explains Clooney, who plays Frank Stokes, aka George Stout, chief curator of the Fogg Museum at Harvard. This was the true leader of the network, a remarkable man. But for dramatic reasons, I assigned some flaws. "Matt Damon, meanwhile, is James Granger, inspired by James Rorimer, curator at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. "I consider myself well versed on the history of World War II, says the actor, encased in a deliberately ill-fitting uniform. But I knew nothing of the monuments men before George asked me to be part of the project. What I learned I was fascinated. "

A disused mine in part serves as a backdrop to the sequence of the day, the action is supposed to take place by April 1945. This is the perfect replica of Altaussee, Austria, where, since 1943, had been piled about 10,000 masterpieces as invaluable Adoration of the Mystic Lamb, the Van Eyck brothers or Madonna Bruges by Michelangelo, all stolen from museums or collectors Jews. The Führer's intended for his megalomaniac project museum in Linz, he wanted to make a cultural capital. Some works have been reproduced for the purposes of the film. "The Madonna of Michelangelo took several months and the result is fabulous," says Clooney.

While his cinematographer adjusts the frame, the actor-director provides some guidelines for a wide shot. IMs are in their brands at gunpoint. All extras are German. At the entrance of the mine, gaping hole immersed in darkness, waiting for a military truck tarpaulin. Two men are working on the back: Bill Murray and John Goodman, helmets, uniform and pistol belt. They monitor the loading crates believed to contain the tables found. The vehicle once loaded, they boarded. "Cut!" Says Clooney before approaching actors. "It still happens to me to make blunders as director, he confessed later. I often tend to give indications game by putting myself in their place. "

Three strikes, it's time to shoot the scene from a different angle. Clooney turns quickly. He does not like to waste time. Accurate, efficient and focused, but also very relaxed. Often joke impresses others in a good humor. "Directing a film is a bit like being at the head of an army, he says. We must learn to adapt and react instantly to face a lot of problems. It's a constant race against time because of logistics, because we have many different designs, extras and unpredictable weather ... "He looked up to heaven:" As you can see "Persistent rain! forced the team to pack up the equipment. Actors can change.

In early May, there was still thirty-two days of shooting. Then George Clooney is attached to the assembly in his Villa Oleandra Lake Como. "Ideally, he said, I'd like the film, in addition to its entertainment value, raises awareness about the importance of preserving our cultural heritage, regardless of its origin ... America has committed many mistakes in this field. Remember the Battle of Baghdad where they had left destroy the museums without intervening. We did well we pay the consequences. "Message received.

The release of The Monuments Men in France is scheduled Feb. 5, 2014.
laetval
laetval

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Mon 26 Aug 2013, 14:44

Thanks Laetval, posted that on a seperate thread already LOL Double is better than nothing   Very Happy
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Mon 26 Aug 2013, 15:00

Nicky80 wrote:Thanks Laetval, posted that on a seperate thread already LOL Double is better than nothing   Very Happy
oops! Didn't see it, sorry!
laetval
laetval

Back to top Go down

Post by macs Tue 24 Sep 2013, 13:13

I know it doesn't involves the movie, but it relates to the subject of the movie, so I though I'll post

Secret Code: Music Score May Lead to Nazi Gold

By Björn Hengst and Benjamin Dürr
Photo Gallery: Does Mittenwald Have Buried Nazi Treasure? Photos
codebrekers.nl

After some initial digs, a Dutch filmmaker believes he may have found the site of buried Nazi treasure long rumored to exist. He was led to the Bavarian town of Mittenwald after cracking a code believed to be hidden in a music score.

Three attempts have been made in recent weeks to find buried Nazi treasure in the Bavarian town of Mittenwald, close to the Austrian border. Even though the holes in the ground have since been filled, the traces left by drills and blue markings are still visible below a thin layer of autumn leaves.

ANZEIGE
Authorities granted permission for the undertaking in "a bid for clarity," and before too long, the story was making headlines in local papers. "The Hunt for Nazi Gold," the Garmisch-Partenkirchner Tagblatt called it.

Residents' reactions range from annoyed to amused. "I've never seen anything like it," says one. "I can't wait to see what they find down there," says another.

Behind it all is 51-year-old Leon Giesen, a Dutch filmmaker and musician with a tantalizing theory. He is convinced that Nazi treasure is languishing below Mittenwald's roads -- gold or diamonds, at the very least.

The whole idea of Nazi gold has long held a grip on the public imagination, and as a former Nazi stronghold, Bavaria provides fertile soil for many an aspiring Indiana Jones. In 1944, with the Allies and the Soviet Army threatening to advance, it was here that Heinrich Himmler, one of the most powerful men in Nazi Germany, planned to build an Alpine Fortress -- a national redoubt where Nazi Germany would fight from until the end.

And that's not all. In April 1945, the Wehrmacht armed forces and officials of the Reichsbank approved a plan to store at least part of the reserves of the German Reichsbank at Einsiedl, a small town on the southwest shore of Lake Walchen. Much of these assets were handed over to the Allies, but around 100 gold bars, sacks of dollars and Swiss francs and possibly even more hoards went missing.

'Like a Treasure Map'

Even though Giesen's theory is an outlandish one by any standards, it has generated reams of publicity in his native Netherlands. It revolves around an annotated score of the "March Impromptu" by composer Gottfried Federlein.

Legend has it that in the final days of World War II, Adolf Hitler's private secretary Martin Bormann scribbled letters, figures and runes on the score that form a code giving the coordinates of the hidden Nazi treasure.

Supposedly, a military chaplain was tasked with taking the score to someone in Munich. But it apparently never arrived, instead ending up decades later in the hands of Dutch journalist Karl Hammer Kaatee.

After spending years attempting to crack the code, he finally made the score public last December and was promptly deluged with e-mails and suggestions. Even though there is no proof that the document is genuine, it exerts a magic pull on many.

"It's like a treasure map that can't be deciphered," says Jürgen Proske, a local historian from Garmisch-Partenkirchen and a hobby archeologist who has located Wehrmacht paraphernalia and a wine cellar from 1940 in the mountains around Mittenwald and Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

The Mystery of Mittenwald

But filmmaker Giesen now believes he's solved the mystery, maintaining that the line added to the score that reads "Wo Matthias die Saiten Streichelt" ("where Matthew plucks strings") is a reference to Mittenwald and its famous son Matthias Klotz, who founded the town's violinmaking tradition. Moreover, he contends that the score contains a schematic diagram of the train tracks that ran through Mittenwald in the 1940s, and that the rune and fragmented sentence "Enden der Tanz" ("end the dance") at the end of the score means the treasure can be found at the former site of the buffer stops.

The drilling effort in Mittenwald proved fruitful, unearthing a large quantity of unidentified metals. "Geologists call it an anomaly, a substance that doesn't belong there," says Giesen. He is now looking for a company specialized in excavations and dealing with explosives to continue the hunt, and is hoping to pay the costs by raising €25,000 with a crowdfunding campaign. He is also considering making a documentary about the project.

Local historian Jürgen Proske has his doubts about the find. "It could be a treasure chest," he says. "But it could just be a manhole cover."
macs
macs
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 24 Sep 2013, 13:20

interesting
let's see if something pop up...
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:58

Good find Macs, thanks
It's very possible or George's movie MM is helping to fuel his hopeful imagination. Like IM says we'll wait and see.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 18:30

Not sure but hope that is the right thread to post it. Found on Les frenchies

Clooney stars as Lt. Stokes & leads his team of scholars-turned-soldiers on a mission to save history. #MonumentsMen pic.twitter.com/iRZLPqiYgG

Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by chiki Thu 31 Oct 2013, 19:58

All George, I love it! (even with the moustache) Smile

thanks, Nicky

chiki
Clooney Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by playfuldeb Thu 31 Oct 2013, 20:31

Based on his facial features, there's a lot going on in that mind.
playfuldeb
playfuldeb
Clooneyfied!

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 31 Oct 2013, 20:46

Nice! thanks Nicky....

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 31 Oct 2013, 21:36

WONDERFUL PIC! FABULOUS Very Happy 
I LIKE IT!

Yahooooo 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 01 Nov 2013, 03:57

Love it Nicky thanks and I like the mustache too.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Fri 01 Nov 2013, 07:11

Sad eyes..... Sad

Makes you want to kiss it better ... Wipe away the sadness of the day....
What Would He Say
What Would He Say

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Fri 01 Nov 2013, 09:07

He had to look this way maybe sad maybe lot in his mind as he has to look like Frank Stokes and not like charming George Thumbs up!

I like this close up pic too even with mustache I love you
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next