George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

+69
chiki
mosaic
francis100
What Would He Say
Juliette Hardy
Carla97
Nicky80
minette
Mary-Lou
very vera
Dior
Picachu
pizza
ktsue2002
TURIGOL
aflower1325
LieutenantGEORGE.STOUT
Lt Cdr Georgie Stout
Barbara Garabedian
fava
theminis
cupcake
NotAvailable
Mazy
pattygirl
laetval
Pink Ice 1990
Cyteen
playfuldeb
flyingsolo
A(CUTE)-CASE-CLOONEYITIS
OofOof
amaretti
tzizz
Best in Category
Vi
cindigirl
Way2Old4Dis
party animal - not!
Lighterside
Lakin460
Ello
davidarochelle
bamboochacha
adgran
LornaDoone
lelacorb
Sirius12
watching
fluffy
Michelle meyers
macs
Cinderella
Natascha
alriv
zizi
lucy
silly girl
Maggy
Missa
Atalante
Duffy
melbert
it's me
Katiedot
Joanna
dakota007
73 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 Empty Re: George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

Post by it's me Thu 25 Jul 2013, 14:46

Sorry G but I prefer the first Oscar look

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks to Frenchies fans blog !
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 12 Empty Re: George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 25 Jul 2013, 17:22

Oh, moi aussi!!

I don't like the grizzly look. It's like the prickly whiskers are there to form a barrier when you kiss.
Too abrasive on (most) female cheeks & lips....
lol! 
I prefer clean shaven.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 25 Jul 2013, 17:43

Thanks It's me for the link. I like that statement:

"George Clooney is the king of Hollywood"

great artical

Is George Clooney the Greatest Movie Producer Since David O. Selznick?

If we needed any more proof that George Clooney is the king of Hollywood, here’s some:

He could become the first producer since David O. Selznick to win back-to-back Best Picture Oscars – and if you want to get technical, the first in the history of Hollywood to officially be the recipient two years in a row.

Yes, we’re jumping the gun and getting way ahead of ourselves here, but bear with us.

Clooney was one of three producers to win the Academy Award for Best Picture in February for “Argo.” (The other two were Ben Affleck, who also directed the film, and Grant Heslov, with Clooney at left.)

And this year, Clooney has produced two more Oscar contenders: “The Monuments Men,” which he directed, and “August: Osage County,” from “E.R.” creator John Wells.

(Heslov is a credited producer on both, so maybe he’s the other king of Hollywood.)

“Monuments Men,” a December release from Sony, has a cast that includes Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon and Bill Murray in a true-life story involving a group of operatives trying to save works of art from being destroyed by the Nazis during World War II.

“August” has a Pulitzer Prize-winning theatrical pedigree, a cast that includes Oscar winners Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts and Chris Cooper and the formidable Weinstein Company in its corner.

Both fairly reek of awards-worthiness, and both figure to bring more badly-needed attention to Clooney, who has won two Oscars (one for acting in “Syriana,” one for producing “Argo”) and been nominated for six others, with a total of four acting, two writing, one directing and one producing nod.

Earlier on Tuesday, Clooney was named recipient of BAFTA Los Angeles’ Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film, ending a five-month drought since the last time he won anything from BAFTA. (That came for producing “Argo” in February.)

The last man to produce consecutive Best Picture winners was David O. Selznick, who turned the trick with “Gone With the Wind” in 1939 and “Rebecca” in 1940. But here’s the fine print: Back then, the statuette went not to the film’s producer, but to the company that released it. So officially, those two Oscars were awarded to Selznick International Pictures, not to David himself.

Meaning that Clooney (and yes, Heslov) could boldly go where no producer has ever gone before.

Yes, Clooney’s about 60 films shy of Selnick’s track record. And it’s a long way from the doldrums of summer to the Dolby Theatre next March 2, and far too early to be making predictions -- particularly since his films are months away from screening.

So consider this not a prediction, but a warning: The man may be unstoppable.

Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 25 Jul 2013, 18:54

Not sure why Steven Pond states that MM & A:OC can both potentially bring "badly needed attention" to George Clooney. Is that because he's been nominated six other times but didn't win?

In any case, George & Grant may do the improbable and repeat Selzick's '39 & '40 records. Or set new ones altogether.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 25 Jul 2013, 19:03

George Clooney is the king of Hollywood sounds good to me too. Smile
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 25 Jul 2013, 19:09

Meryl streep has had a total of 17 nominations & 3 wins I think.
DDL won 3 times, nominated 5.

So George has faired quite well.
been nominated for six others, with a total of four acting, two writing, one directing and one producing nod.

Multi-talented.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Thu 25 Jul 2013, 22:39

He needs more challenges. When is he going to meet Putin ? When will he be a hit in Russia ? Twisted Evil 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 25 Jul 2013, 22:41

What???
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 25 Jul 2013, 22:48

Atalante wrote:He needs more challenges. When is he going to meet Putin ? When will he be a hit in Russia ? Twisted Evil 

Isn´t he already? How more could he be?I dunno 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 29 Jul 2013, 20:26

J
Blanchett

Quanto sono diversi Woody Allen e George Clooney registi? 
"Sono ovviamente molto diversi, eppure si somigliano nel loro modo di essere senza pretese e incredibilmente pratici nel lavoro. Credo sia per questo che i loro film sono sempre pieni di vita. Le persone con cui lavorano sono una grande famiglia, e sono entrambi molto fedeli alla loro troupe, oltre ad essere due uomini di grande intelligenza. E poi non me lo fate dire, ma quanto è bello ancora George...". 

On differences between G and W Allen

What are several Woody Allen and George Clooney directors?
"I'm obviously very different, yet are similar in their way of being unpretentious and incredibly convenient in work. I think that's why their films are always full of life. The people with whom they work are a big family, and they are both very loyal to their troupe, as well as being two men of great intelligence. And then I do not say, but how handsome he is still George ... ".

Look, on another report (maybe La Stampa?)  I found the opposite new
...how old Rolling Eyes 

What's the right version?

Wink
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Mon 29 Jul 2013, 21:57

Carla97 wrote:
Atalante wrote:He needs more challenges. When is he going to meet Putin ? When will he be a hit in Russia ? Twisted Evil 

Has he been to Russia ? Has he met Putin ? Did I miss that moment ? Now Putin loves stunts, so ... and G.C. could do an effort to free the Pussy Riots members no ? lol! 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by laetval Sat 03 Aug 2013, 20:31

Eight weeks ago I paid a secret visit to the set of George Clooney‘sMonuments Men in Germany’s Harz mountains. It wasn’t on the level ofHenry Kissinger‘s secret visit to China to arrange for Richard Nixon‘s 1972 state visit, but when Sony publicity told me to keep mum until after shooting wrapped on 6.26, I gave them my word. Yes, I’d previously told HE readers I was doing it, but then I clammed up and pretended I’d never posted such a thing. My mother called from Connecticut to ask where I was. “I can’t say, mom,” I replied, “but I can tell you this much — I’m definitely not visiting a movie set.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On the set of Monuments Men in Bad Grund Germany on 5.6.13: Producer & co-writer Grant Heslov, star-director-producer & cowriter George Clooney.

The outdoor mine-shaft set that was Ground Zero on the day I arrived.

Based on Robert Edsel‘s “The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History,” it’s basically about a bunch of caring wiseacres in fatigues and helmets saving civilization from ruin. Literally. By doing what they can to rescue or salvage tens of thousands of art treasures — mostly paintings — that have been stolen and freighted away by the Nazis. Enlightened warriors, if you will. Guys who know that after World War II ends the quality of life on the planet earth will be seriously diminished if the great European art treasures have been hidden or destroyed. And so they’re out to prevent that with whatever maneuvers they can think of.

Clooney plays Frank Stokes, the leader of a ragtag group of art commandos…hold on, I’m giving the wrong impression here. This is not Ocean’s 11 in olive-drab fatigues or an art-appreciating Dirty Dozen or Kelly’s Heroes. Or is it? I don’t really know because a script is only a starting point, but I also know it’s not Schindler’s List. It feels more to me like a “movie” than a “film”, but that in itself might be inaccurate. I really don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about.

Do life-threatening things happen to some of these guys? Yeah. So it’s not a WWII romp? No, it’s not — it’s about hard, serious shit. On the other hand there are no Telly Savalas types who strangle blondes in the third act. Every Monuments man seems like a fairly cool cat, or so it seemed to me when I read the script. Besides Clooney we’re talking about about Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonville and Dimitri Leonidas.

To go by Clooney and producer-co-screenwriter Grant Heslov‘s scriptMonuments Men will be a clever, adult, carefully-threaded, occasionally sardonic and wise-cracking “drama” by way of a skillfully massaged 21st Century Hollywood war-flick attitude. Clooney and Heslov (director-writers of Good Night and Good Luck and The Ides of March, producers of Argo andAugust: Osage County) make smart, classy dramas for cultured adults (i.e., guys like me), but with a little polish and pizazz. In the context ofMonuments Men that probably means they’re going to be delivering “grave but not doleful,” “better in some ways than The Guns of Navarone” and “about serious matters but assembled with crisp discipline and a certain movie-star panache.” Right now Monuments Men looks good enough to rank on anyone’s list of likely Best Picture candidates.

Is Monuments Men a cousin of John Frankenheimer‘s The Train, which was also about saving art from the Nazis? Well, they historically overlap, but the similarities are relatively few. Cate Blanchett‘s character of Claire Simone is based on Rose Valland, the Jeu de Paume art historian and member of the French Resistance who also appeared in The Train asSuzanne Flon‘s “Madamoiselle Villard.” Otherwise The Train is an apple and Monuments Men is an orange.

The much-beloved Frankenheimer flick, released in early ’65, was about some French resistance workers (led by Burt Lancaster) who don’t know shit about the great works of impressionism but have been ordered by their bosses to try and prevent an art-worshipping Nazi officer (Paul Scofield) from carting off dozens of impressionist classics to Germany. Which they manage to do. Monuments Men has little to do with trains and the good guys are better educated and not French (except for Dujardin, of course). In actuality there were something like 350 Monuments Men operating in Europe, but in Clooney and Heslov’s film the squad is closer to nine or thereabouts. More dramatically manageable.

The Monuments Men trip began disastrously in Berlin when I drove out of a Tiegel Airport rental car lot with my cell phone lying on the roof of the car. After I started picking up speed I heard a “buhlump!” sound. Whatwazzat? Like something that fell on the roof or fell off it. I didn’t stop because I was on the autobahn and going about 50 or 60 kph. I realized what had happened about ten minutes later. I pulled off in a restaurant-and-gas stop and wept real tears. My Berlin pal Marion Magura, whom I’d invited along, unfortunately had to witness my breakdown. I got down on the pavement and howled.

I had to order a new phone from the Apple guys and have it sent to my place in West Hollywood, and then I asked the woman staying at my apartment to synch it with my iMac and then FedEx it to me in Germany. Total cost was about a grand. So I was hugely pissed at myself as I drove out to Bad Grund, which is between two and a half and three hours southwest of Berlin. We got there late, and there was no wifi in the room. Thank you.

The next morning (5.6) Monuments Men unit publicist Rob Harris picked Marion and I up and drove us to the outdoor set on the other side of town. It was adjacent to a huge factory of some kind and was basically using a fake set that represented the exterior of a mine shaft which the Nazis are (I think) using to store several art treasures. Or planning to store or whatever

The first famous guy we saw was John Goodman, dressed in bleached fatigues and riding a bike. “Ohhh, it’s John Goodman!,” Marion said. I gave her a dirty look. “Don’t do this to me, Marion,” I pleaded. “Don’t do the star-struck tourist thing, please. Not on a film set.” She promised to hold back.

We arrived at the shooting location, and within minutes Clooney, whom I’ve spoken to several times at parties and film festivals and who is always cool, open and gracious, came over in his fatigues and steel-pot helmet and about six or seven days of beard growth. He’d heard about my iPhone tragedy. “Howz it goin’ with that?” he smiled. “You holdin’ up?” Yeah, I’m okay, I said. I feel like a fucking asshole but I’ll survive…thanks.

Not long after Clooney told a funny story about some idiot he knew who had his iPhone stashed in his chest pocket and (stop me if I’m getting this wrong) came up on some swans in a pond and he leaned over a bit and honked at the swans and happened to look down and saw an iPhone sitting under a couple of feet of water and said to himself, “Hey, look…somebody dropped their iPhone in the pond!”

I was told by Harris not to take any shots of anything, but I asked George if I could take a few of him and he said sure. I also shot one of Clooney and Heslov, who was sitting under a small tent in front of two widescreen color monitors. Plus a couple of the mine shaft set plus one of a special cake in honor of Clooney’s 52nd birthday.

Heslov is pretty funny in a blunt sort of way. He’s an easy-enough guy to shoot the shit with, but he says what he thinks. He didn’t exactly call me a pathetic loser for leaving my iPhone on the roof of my rental car but he almost did, and I had no argument against that. I like guys who look you in the eye and just say it. He also took a gander at my Canon PowerShot Elph 330 HS and said it was a “low tech” device. “But it’s not,” I said. “The resolution is excellent for the size and the cost, particularly with night shots. And it shoots good 1080p video.” Call me whatever you want for losing my phone, Heslov, but don’t put down my equipment.

Clooney was shooting a group scene featuring himself, Damon, Goodman, Murray and two or three others. After each take he would come over to the mini-tent and watch the playback and then shoot a little shit with me before the next take was ready. We talked about The Train and the general tradition of the better World War II movies and how he’s basically looking to raise the bar. Clooney is as sharp as they come but he has what you might call a layered but accomodating temperament. He likes to aim his films at places where people live, and in this context he’s looking to make a film that does the old “play to the smarties but also to the popcorn crowd” routine.

Monuments Men unit publicist Rob Harris (center)

One Clooney quote sticks out: “The Guns of Navarone doesn’t play so well any more.” I agreed, I said, except that it does work up until the end of the cliff-climbing scene. And Dimitri Tiomkin‘s score works pretty well, I added. But Clooney was basically saying that if you’re going to make a good World War II film these days, you’ve got to improve upon the old models because they don’t fit the current sensibility. That’s certainly true.

I loved watching Clooney and the above-named ensemble perform that fast-talking scene in front of the mine shaft. It was just talk but everyone delivered exactly the same way with exactly the same body language in take after take. For whatever reason Clooney wasn’t happy with the playback and so he kept saying “let’s do it once more.” They did it six or seven times. It was like watching big-time actors perform a scene for a final dress rehearsal version of a play. Clooney wasn’t offering any big explanations about what was wrong or what he needed. He was just waiting for it to feel right.

I also shared some brief chat time with Damon (he would soon be leaving for the Cannes Film Festival and screenings of Behind The Candelabra) and Murray. Murray’s skin was the color of Elmer’s glue-all and he had let his hair go gray (nobody pretties up for a war film). It’s been said before that Murray is a relentless hoot, and it’s true. I’ve talked to him in quiet-down modes but today he was on. Every subject that came up he batted around in some flip, snarky way. “Ask me anything…go on,” he said. “Oh, you mean give you straight lines?,” I said to myself. Sure, man. And so I asked him about Wes Anderson‘s The Grand Budapest Hotel, in which Murray costars, and he shared three or four little stories about that. And then we switched over to another topic and yaddah-yaddah. I also love how Murray is occasionally rude or dismissive with simpleton journalists. He’s a God to me in that respect.

I said my goodbyes to Clooney and Damon, who were chatting when I walked by. I thanked Clooney again for letting me come on the set. It was totally his call. The next day a herd of 20 or 30 Hollywood Foreign Press people were due to arrive. Thank God I got my visit out of the way first. And I told Damon that I’d see him in Cannes, which I did by watching him field questions at the Candelabra press conference.

Harris and his wife and Marion and I had dinner that night in a neighboring town. He gave me a copy of his book, “Unexposed Film: A Year on Location.” Rob is a good writer and a fine fellow. I apologized to him for being pissed about my lost cell phone, but he waved it off. I was in a shitty mood as we drove out, I told him, but the vibe of the set was so cool and friendly that I forgot about my loss and learned to relax again.

Incidentally: I don’t like the sound of The Monuments Men — too many syllables. Maybe Clooney or Sony will end up dropping it. Let’s see how it plays out.
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Sat 03 Aug 2013, 21:59

Clooney is as sharp as they come but he has what you might call a layered but accomodating temperament. He likes to aim his films at places where people live, and in this context he’s looking to make a film that does the old “play to the smarties but also to the popcorn crowd” routine.

Caters for all.

...if you’re going to make a good World War II film these days, you’ve got to improve upon the old models because they don’t fit the current sensibility.
Definitely. Though vintage films are still enjoyable.

Btw, I thought GC's character was George Stout, not Frank Stokes, as listed above.

Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Sat 03 Aug 2013, 22:03

Well, I wonder what they do call it, if not Monuments Men?
I guess they should keep it as the book title.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 03 Aug 2013, 22:41

Don't we have a whole thread on this interview? He put it out right after the 26st of June. I even remember posting a short one that his assistant wrote about the trip.

Here's the link for that thread:

Last edited by Mazy on Sat 03 Aug 2013, 22:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 04 Aug 2013, 00:42

Nice pics
Thanks!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Sun 04 Aug 2013, 08:28

Atalante wrote:
Carla97 wrote:

Has he been to Russia ? Has he met Putin ? Did I miss that moment ? Now Putin loves stunts, so ... and G.C. could do an effort to free the Pussy Riots members no ? lol! 

I don´t know where he has been or who he has met. I don´t follow him around you know. So I certainly have missed those moments too. Smile

Vladimir just got a big fish. But I´m sure George would get a much bigger one. This big 

Talking about following around... I overheard this in the amusement park. Someone´s husband was angry and tired of waiting for hours for his family to get back to him (I guess he didn´t want to do the rides). The wife asked him what he has been doing while they were gone? He said he followed a random family around the whole time and made sure he is in the backround of all of their photos.

I laughed but they didn´t.Razz 
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:39

Crazy man Shocked 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Atalante Sun 04 Aug 2013, 14:33

A Belgian Benidorm Basterd is in it too. I'll have to find the link again. tongue 
Atalante
Atalante

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Wed 07 Aug 2013, 21:50

First Official Look At George Clooney's 'Monuments Men'

George Clooney's ensemble WWII caper flick now has a first image, and yeah, we were already sold when we learned Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonneville and John Goodman were going to be in it. The rest of just icing, but that icing is a pretty remarkable true story.

Based on the true story of the greatest treasure hunt in history, The Monuments Men is an action-thriller focusing on an unlikely World War II platoon, tasked by FDR with going into Germany to rescue artistic masterpieces from Nazi thieves and returning them to their rightful owners.  It would be an impossible mission: with the art trapped behind enemy lines, and with the German army under orders to destroy everything as the Reich fell, how could these guys – seven museum directors, curators, and art historians, all more familiar with Michelangelo than the M-1 – possibly hope to succeed?  But as the Monuments Men, as they were called, found themselves in a race against time to avoid the destruction of 1000 years of culture, they would risk their lives to protect and defend mankind’s greatest achievements.

Last edited by silly girl on Wed 07 Aug 2013, 21:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Wed 07 Aug 2013, 22:21

Wow. Thank you, SG! The lighting's pretty amazing in this shot. Young Dimitri there too - what an experience for him. Hope His Nibs' watch is the right era. Entirely possible if it's his Uncle George's...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 07 Aug 2013, 22:38

Wow!! Amazing shot

Want more!!!!!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Wed 07 Aug 2013, 22:43

I have a feeling that as particular as he is, nothing will be out of place and will be historically accurate.
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 07 Aug 2013, 22:50

Sure! We know he likes to do all he can at his best!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Wed 07 Aug 2013, 23:33

Great still that.
Yes perfection is George's other middle name
where his work is concerned IMO.

"Good Night & Good Luck" is testament to that.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Wed 07 Aug 2013, 23:41

AWWWWWWWWWWWW
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 08 Aug 2013, 00:53

I think there is going to be more stuff coming out....I saw online that the first trailer should be coming tomorrow.  

Clooney finds the art, adventure of war in 'Monuments Men

George Clooney and Grant Heslov were looking for something a little more lighthearted after plumbing Washington's seedier political depths in 2011's The Ides of March.

Their answer: a footrace with Hitler.

So goes the intriguing theme of The Monuments Men (due Dec. 18), a World War II thriller directed by Clooney and written and produced with Heslov.

Based on the Robert Edsel book about a real platoon tasked with going behind enemy lines to retrieve art masterpieces stolen by the Nazis, Monuments Men follows the museum directors, curators and art historians behind the mission.
Despite the Nazi backdrop, Clooney says, the film is an adventure and a change in tempo for the team, which produced last year's best-picture Oscar winner, Argo.

"Grant and I were looking to do a film that was less cynical than a lot of the films we do," says Clooney, who plays Lt. Commander George Stout, one of the nation's first art conservationists.

"Grant had read the book at the airport," Clooney says. "He gave it to me. We went into Sony and pitched it and got greenlit right there. The story was just so compelling."

Clooney says the film offered something rare in the canon of World War II films: an untold story.

Hitler "perpetrated the biggest art heist in the history of the world," he says. "And almost got away with it. It's been a long time (since) you could find a new story about World War II."

Heslov says that while the pair wanted a break from their past work, those projects, which include 2005's Good Night, and Good Luck, opened the door to getting an A-list cast, composed mainly of friends. Clooney's co-stars include Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray, John Goodman and The Artist's Jean Dujardin.

"When we write movies now, we usually have specific friends in mind," Heslov says. "It's nice to be able to call them and say, 'Hey, we have a new movie. Want to come spend a few months with us?' Usually, it works out."

Clooney, however, concedes that the men had to brush up on their knowledge of art, which he says began at zilch.

"I don't own any artwork except paintings from my godkids," he says. "Which I'm convinced are priceless."

Last edited by theminis on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 01:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pics from SG link above)

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 08 Aug 2013, 01:00

Clever girl, Silly Girl! Love all the new pics at the link.........clever, clever promotion.....

So now we know why he seems to have disappeared.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by What Would He Say Thu 08 Aug 2013, 01:14

Thank you SG,

Not only new pics of George......BUT TASH TOO......YAYAYA!!!!

Tonight I will sleep...and dream....XXX

SG, you are my hero....xxx
What Would He Say
What Would He Say
Mastering the tao of Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 07:39

The trailer too??? WOW !!!!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 08:10

Where is the trailer? Great pics.
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by francis100 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 09:24

same pictures .. different article

francis100
Shy poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Aug 2013, 10:57

Different article with same pictures

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:55

silly girl wrote:I think there is going to be more stuff coming out....I saw online that the first trailer should be coming tomorrow.  

Clooney finds the art, adventure of war in 'Monuments Men

George Clooney and Grant Heslov were looking for something a little more lighthearted after plumbing Washington's seedier political depths in 2011's The Ides of March.

Their answer: a footrace with Hitler.

So goes the intriguing theme of The Monuments Men (due Dec. 18), a World War II thriller directed by Clooney and written and produced with Heslov.

Based on the Robert Edsel book about a real platoon tasked with going behind enemy lines to retrieve art masterpieces stolen by the Nazis, Monuments Men follows the museum directors, curators and art historians behind the mission.
Despite the Nazi backdrop, Clooney says, the film is an adventure and a change in tempo for the team, which produced last year's best-picture Oscar winner, Argo.

"Grant and I were looking to do a film that was less cynical than a lot of the films we do," says Clooney, who plays Lt. Commander George Stout, one of the nation's first art conservationists.

"Grant had read the book at the airport," Clooney says. "He gave it to me. We went into Sony and pitched it and got greenlit right there. The story was just so compelling."

Clooney says the film offered something rare in the canon of World War II films: an untold story.

Hitler "perpetrated the biggest art heist in the history of the world," he says. "And almost got away with it. It's been a long time (since) you could find a new story about World War II."

Heslov says that while the pair wanted a break from their past work, those projects, which include 2005's Good Night, and Good Luck, opened the door to getting an A-list cast, composed mainly of friends. Clooney's co-stars include Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray, John Goodman and The Artist's Jean Dujardin.

"When we write movies now, we usually have specific friends in mind," Heslov says. "It's nice to be able to call them and say, 'Hey, we have a new movie. Want to come spend a few months with us?' Usually, it works out."

Clooney, however, concedes that the men had to brush up on their knowledge of art, which he says began at zilch.

"I don't own any artwork except paintings from my godkids," he says. "Which I'm convinced are priceless."

Thanks SG. Love the pics. Can't wait for the movie to watch.

Does somebody know how many godkids he has?
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:14

It looks like a quality film.
Right in time for Award Season.
I expect it'll be very well received & may even dominate with nominations. Great cast.
Maybe Clooney's such a perfectionist (in his work), he'll allow no periodic or factual inaccuracies.

Art themes are trending in the film industry lately.
And MM is based on real historical facts too. So, it's unique.

Last edited by Juliette Hardy on Thu 08 Aug 2013, 13:02; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sp; iPad glitch.)
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:18

How sweets! I love you 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:59

Nicky80..."Does somebody know how many godkids 
he has?"

I'd imagine that information comes under the heading
of George consistently saying.....
"I don't talk about my private life"
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 13:09

Thumbs up! 
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 08 Aug 2013, 13:23

Off-topic ~ ( sort of...)

Recently on a flight, I saw the comedy film Gambit (2012), written by the Coen brothers & starring Colin Firth & Cameron Diaz.
Anyway, it's an art heist film however, there's a similar background sub-plot to Monuments Men where Cameron Diaz's character's grandfather plays an American sergeant rescuing a pillaged Monet from Hemann Goering. This supposedly ends up in a trailer park in Texas....  (never mind...Laughing )

Typical Coen Brothers. But like a nod to Clooney's Monuments Men.

until the Nazi occupation of 1941.

"Haystacks, Dusk"
was carted off to Carinhall,

the private residence
of Air Marshal Hermann Goering,

for the delectation of his eyes only.

In 1945, Carinhall is overrun
by the first division of Patton's army,

the Big Red One.

The point platoon is led
by Sergeant Brian "Bulldog" Puznowski,

the Killer of Kilgore, Texas.

Your grandfather.

For the next 67 years,
the whereabouts of Haystacks, Dusk

has proved one of the art world's
most tantalising mysteries.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 08 Aug 2013, 13:32

It bemuses me how soon Monuments Men is being released.
Similarly, Ides of March was filmed & released in same year (2011).
Both directed by Clooney & produced by Smokehouse.

Whereas, Gravity & Descendants were released a good 2 years plus later.

I guess it's determined by production company & distribution rights.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 13:35

Maybe a save money strategy
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliette Hardy Thu 08 Aug 2013, 14:06

Trailer out later today...

Thursday August 8, audiences will get their first look at George Clooney‘s latest directorial effort, The Monuments Men. Featuring one of the most impressive casts in recent memory (Clooney, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Hugh Bonneville, Bob Balaban), it’s the true story of art historians who attempted to protect the world’s greatest pieces of art from a thieving Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany. It’s scheduled for release December 18.

Check back Thursday for the trailer.

Here’s the description of the original book by Robert M. Edsel (Clooney adapted the screenplay with Grant Heslov.)

At the same time Adolf Hitler was attempting to take over the western world, his armies were methodically seeking and hoarding the finest art treasures in Europe. The Fuehrer had begun cataloguing the art he planned to collect as well as the art he would destroy: “degenerate” works he despised. In a race against time, behind enemy lines, often unarmed, a special force of American and British museum directors, curators, art historians, and others, called the Momuments Men, risked their lives scouring Europe to prevent the destruction of thousands of years of culture. Focusing on the eleven-month period between D-Day and V-E Day, this fascinating account follows six Monuments Men and their impossible mission to save the world’s great art from the Nazis.
Juliette Hardy
Juliette Hardy
Clooney-phile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 08 Aug 2013, 14:18

Joanna wrote:Great still that.
Yes perfection is George's other middle name
where his work is concerned IMO.

"Good Night & Good Luck" is testament to that.
These all are FABULOUS...I agree Jo, he's so very thorough and has such a tremendous eye for scene composition, that it is nearly perfection! cheers 
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 15:01

Can't wait for the trailer   Basketball
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 15:04

Joanna wrote:Nicky80..."Does somebody know how many godkids 
he has?"

I'd imagine that information comes under the heading
of George consistently saying.....
"I don't talk about my private life"
 Oh yeah ok.....good one   Laughing 
You know that feeling you know everything abut a man but than you realised you know nothing? hhaaa yeah that how it feels. I'm so nosy.  Embarassed
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Thu 08 Aug 2013, 15:58

Guess it happens all the time....
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Thu 08 Aug 2013, 16:06

Just saw trailer on Gossip Cop - looks like a really interesting movie. His bent for humor is ever present. While the content is serious, his employment of the comedic actors fits well with the story. Haven't read the book, don't know if there was any humor in it, but it seems that George and Grant have written a wonderful broad script.
Can't wait for the movie.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Thu 08 Aug 2013, 16:15

I posted the video on a separate thread. It does look like his humor but I am a tad disappointed --- I guess because I read the book. The book has a more serious tone. I almost wish he had posted the characters names on IMDB so I could see that it is "based" on the story but not the actual story. Sorry I have issues with adaptions going to far astray of the material. Of course it is barely a 2 minute clip but all I saw a was a remake of Oceans 11.

silly girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 16:28

I love the humor and I think it is in place here. Especially when a story is serious. Humor is always good and always present even those times people joked.

Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 16:42

Maybe they put this kind of humor in it because they thought a serious story from WW2 is maybe difficult to promote. Maybe the market is tired of serious war movies. Could be.

And I think at the moment all this humor stuff is trendy at the moment. If you see the new movie from Johnny Depp. It's like Pirates of the Caribbean just in a different custome.

Looks like at the moment thats the way to go
Nicky80
Nicky80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next