George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:41 by annemariew

» George and Amal speaking at the Skoll Foundation conference in Oxford today
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2024, 03:37 by annemariew

» George in IF
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyFri 12 Apr 2024, 18:44 by party animal - not!

» Amal announces new law degree sponsorship
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyFri 05 Apr 2024, 01:51 by annemariew

» George's new project The Department - a series
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

»  Back in the UK
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

+69
chiki
mosaic
francis100
What Would He Say
Juliette Hardy
Carla97
Nicky80
minette
Mary-Lou
very vera
Dior
Picachu
pizza
ktsue2002
TURIGOL
aflower1325
LieutenantGEORGE.STOUT
Lt Cdr Georgie Stout
Barbara Garabedian
fava
theminis
cupcake
NotAvailable
Mazy
pattygirl
laetval
Pink Ice 1990
Cyteen
playfuldeb
flyingsolo
A(CUTE)-CASE-CLOONEYITIS
OofOof
amaretti
tzizz
Best in Category
Vi
cindigirl
Way2Old4Dis
party animal - not!
Lighterside
Lakin460
Ello
davidarochelle
bamboochacha
adgran
LornaDoone
lelacorb
Sirius12
watching
fluffy
Michelle meyers
macs
Cinderella
Natascha
alriv
zizi
lucy
silly girl
Maggy
Missa
Atalante
Duffy
melbert
it's me
Katiedot
Joanna
dakota007
73 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 Empty Re: George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

Post by Mazy Fri 24 May 2013, 02:56

A nice article from Bloomberg about Monuments Men and the Halberstadt Cathedral.
There are a couple of pictures

GEORGE CLOONEY HUNTS NAZI LOOT, FINDS GERMAN CATHEDRAL

By Catherine Hickley - 2013-05-23T23:00:00Z

Sporting a neat gray mustache and faded jeans, George Clooney comments on the chill air as he strides through 800-year-old Halberstadt cathedral, checking all is set for the shoot.

A fake version of Jan van Eyck’s Ghent Altarpiece, one of Belgium’s greatest art treasures, stands in the nave, lit by stadium-style, high-wattage lamps positioned outside the stained glass windows. In Clooney’s film, this German church masquerades as St. Bavo cathedral in Ghent, says Thomas Labusiak, curator of the Halberstadt cathedral treasure.

Juraj Liptak/Landesamt fuer Denkmalpflege und Archaeologie Sachsen-Anhalt/Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration via Bloomberg

Halberstadt Cathedral, one of Germany's finest Gothic cathedrals. It serves as a location for George Clooney's film "The Monuments Men." Currently shooting, the film is due for release in the U.S. in December.

Halberstadt Cathedral, one of Germany's finest Gothic cathedrals. It serves as a location for George Clooney's film "The Monuments Men." Currently shooting, the film is due for release in the U.S. in December. Photographer: Juraj Liptak/Landesamt fuer Denkmalpflege und Archaeologie Sachsen-Anhalt/Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration via Bloomberg

Actor and director George Clooney on set of his current project "The Monuments Men" in Germany. The film features several locations in the state of Lower Saxony and around Germany.

Actor and director George Clooney on set of his current project "The Monuments Men" in Germany. The film features several locations in the state of Lower Saxony and around Germany. Source: Alexander Koerner/FilmMagic/Getty

The interior of Halberstadt Cathedral after a bomb hit it in World War II. A local architect, Walter Bolze, took fast action to prevent the roof from falling in. Source: Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration.

The interior of Halberstadt Cathedral after a bomb hit it in World War II. A local architect, Walter Bolze, took fast action to prevent the roof from falling in. Source: Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration. Source: Foto Mahlke via Bloomberg

Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration via Bloomberg

A Eucharist bowl dating from 11th-century Constantinople. It may have been used in the church of Hagia Sophia during the Byzantine era. It is one of 650 items in the Halberstadt Cathedral treasure.
A Eucharist bowl dating from 11th-century Constantinople. It may have been used in the church of Hagia Sophia during the Byzantine era. It is one of 650 items in the Halberstadt Cathedral treasure. Source: Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration via Bloomberg

A detail of the "Abraham Angel Tapestry," finished in 1150 and one of 650 items belonging to the Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure. It is the most comprehensive hoard of cathedral treasure still kept in its original home.

A detail of the "Abraham Angel Tapestry," finished in 1150 and one of 650 items belonging to the Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure. It is the most comprehensive hoard of cathedral treasure still kept in its original home. Photographer: Juraj Liptak/Landesamt fuer Denkmalpflege und Archaeologie Sachsen-Anhalt/Halberstadt Cathedral Treasure Administration via Bloomberg

“That hurts,” says Labusiak. Halberstadt is one of Germany’s finest Gothic cathedrals. Yet he says he’s excited. “It’s not every day George Clooney comes to Halberstadt to make a film,” he says.
Clooney, who flashes a smile and says “hi guys” as he sweeps past on his pre-shoot inspection, is directing and starring in “The Monuments Men.” The Los Angeles Times has reported that the budget is between $70 million and $80 million.

Other cast members include Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Bill Murray and Jean Dujardin, who won an Oscar for his performance in “The Artist.” “The Monuments Men” is scheduled for release in the U.S. on Dec. 18 by Sony Pictures.
Nazi Plunder

The movie addresses the Western Allies’ efforts to protect heritage sites at risk in World War II and recover Nazi plunder. The script by Clooney and Grant Heslov is based on a 2009 non-fiction book called “The Monuments Men” by Robert Edsel with Bret Witter. Edsel interviewed surviving members of a joint U.S.-British military unit made up of museum directors, curators, artists, architects and archivists.

The Ghent Altarpiece, coveted by Adolf Hitler for his planned “Fuehrermuseum” in Linz, was one of hundreds of thousands of artworks stolen by the Nazis across occupied Europe. Edsel’s book describes how two members of the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives unit recovered the altarpiece in 1945 from a salt-mine in Austria where it had been stashed for safekeeping, along with a trove of masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s “Bruges Madonna” and Vermeer’s “Art of Painting.”

Diesel Smoke

Today, Thomas Labusiak has his own treasure to protect. As we take a tour of the movie crew’s trailers camped on the cathedral’s forecourt, he notices a diesel generator belching black smoke across the 13th-century portal.

“We just had it restored,” he tells two wired-up crew members, pointing to the elaborately sculpted facade. Within minutes, the generator is moved and apologies accepted.

Labusiak’s treasure chamber is next to the cathedral -- a warren of air-conditioned Gothic rooms harboring some 650 items, the largest intact church collection that has stayed in its original home. The eye darts from gold chalices to ivory reliquaries, from dramatic tapestries to faded silks and sparkling jewels, all hundreds of years old.

A gilded Eucharistic bowl from 11th-century Constantinople may have been used in the Church of Hagia Sophia in the heyday of the Byzantine Empire. The “Abraham Angel Tapestry,” completed in 1150, is the oldest of its kind. A golden, gem-studded arm displays the wizened, blackened finger of St. Nicholas. Labusiak refuses to say which of these priceless objects is the most important.
“You choose,” he says.

Pannisellus Envy

He recounts how his collection even aroused the envy of Neil MacGregor, the director of the British Museum. MacGregor visited last year with arts patron Jacob Rothschild, arriving by private jet. Their quest, Labusiak says, was to examine the technology used by German museums to exhibit medieval artifacts.

Yet MacGregor was clearly more excited by the quality of the Halberstadt treasure than the vitrines, Labusiak says. He was particularly struck by a pannisellus, a rare silken cloth that was attached to a bishop’s staff in the Middle Ages. Few have survived because of their fragility.
Halberstadt has two.

“He threw up his arms and exclaimed ‘It’s not fair!’” Labusiak says.

“I never thought I would have to console the director of the British Museum,” he laughs. “I told him, ‘Well, you have a good collection too.’”

Back on set in the cathedral, the fake Van Eyck has vanished. The wooden frame stands empty with 12 gaping holes for the missing panels.

“Action!” calls Clooney. Two men, one in military uniform and one in a curate’s black cassock, walk slowly down the ancient flagstones toward the empty frame.

“Cut! Very good,” Clooney says. His plan is to film through the night.

Allied Heroes

Edsel’s book bears the sub-title: “Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History.” That is simpler than the reality. There were, of course, also German heroes and even Allied thieves, as Labusiak says.

Halberstadt, at the foot of the Harz Mountains, was once a medieval, half-timbered architectural jewel. It suffered horrific damage in World War II. The city center was reduced to rubble in just half an hour of U.S. carpet-bombing on April 8, 1945. The cathedral was hit and its roof almost caved in.
The hero who saved it was a local architect called Walter Bolze. The church was so precarious, he only allowed men without families to help him secure it in parts. Bolze also later restored it.

“He was Halberstadt’s monuments man,” Labusiak says.

Hollywood Treatment

The story of the treasure in neighboring Quedlinburg, which Labusiak also oversees, is ripe for Hollywood treatment, while decidedly off-message for Clooney’s movie.

Stored in a mine-shaft near Quedlinburg for safekeeping during World War II, the trove included the gem-studded 13th-century “Samuel’s Book of Gospels,” which contains a ninth-century manuscript written in golden ink.

One of the U.S. army officers assigned to guard it instead stole eight items -- including the gospel book -- and posted them via military mail to Texas. He kept the haul until his death. It only returned to Quedlinburg in 1993. Two pieces are still missing.

“That,” says Labusiak, “is the other side of the story.”

Muse highlights include New York and London weekend guides, Lewis Lapham on history and Stephanie Green on parties.

To contact the writer on the story: Catherine Hickley in Berlin at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Zen
Mazy
Mazy
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive) - Page 11 Empty Re: George Clooney to Direct, Star In 'Monuments Men' About Stolen Nazi Art (Exclusive)

Post by very vera Fri 24 May 2013, 03:00

i just don't like war movies... skipping this one

very vera
Shooting hoops with George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Fri 24 May 2013, 03:09

I am really looking forward to it. Not that much in to history and art, but it's GeorgeFreakin'Clooney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
melbert
melbert
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Fri 24 May 2013, 05:18

Me too absolutelyfreakin can't wait LOL
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Fri 24 May 2013, 06:22

I don't like war movies myself; however this isn't your typical war movie. Let's face it I would see it no matter what it's about because it's George. That being said, I am very excited about this movie, it is more subterfuge than an all war movie. It is based on true life. This happened not so long ago and I also believe we should not forget Hitler.

Then to think the billions and billions of dollars worth of art that was going to be destroyed if someone didn't do something about it. There were items there that are priceless and cannot be replaced, part of a lot of countries heritage.

The movie is costing between $70 - $80 million dollars to create. This is not one of those "bim, bam thank you ma'am, moneys on the bureau" type of movie. Pardon my expression. This is an epic (larger than life) movie and George is putting his heart and soul into it along with Grant. MM is a very big undertaking for them. Grant has two jobs as George has four. Thank God that there are the two of them so they lean back and fore on each other and to bounce things off of each other also.

This movie is not like the "Oceans" one that brought in quick money for what it cost to make. This is one of those meaningful movies that George talks about. I wouldn't miss it for the world. I will even go to a theater to see it, should it come to these woods here in SC.

Don't mind my ranting but I am very excited about Monuments Men and seeing what George & Grant have done with it. I think most of us are. JMHO

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Fri 24 May 2013, 06:25

Sure, we all!!!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 24 May 2013, 11:20

Article in Bloomberg.com today entitled 'George Clooney hunts Nazi treasure, finds German Cathedral'...........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Fri 24 May 2013, 11:33

Oh, oops. We already have it. Sorry. And thanks, Mazy

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Sun 26 May 2013, 15:34

How WWII Soldiers Saved Italy’s Art From the Nazis

How did Renaissance masterpieces survive the carnage of World War II? Noah Charney on a team of U.S. soldiers who rescued the world’s greatest objects from being stolen or destroyed by the Nazis.

The Second World War altered the map of Europe, and redistributed art on an unprecedented scale. But few people know the astonishing extent of art looting during the war. Adolf Hitler and his deputy Hermann Göring raced one another to steal artworks. Goring “collected” a private gallery of thousands of stolen masterpieces, displayed in a hunting lodge outside of Berlin as an enormous shrine to his deceased wife, while Hitler ordered art stolen both for his personal enjoyment and to fill his planned “super museum,” a conversion of an entire city in Austria to contain every important artwork in the world. Hitler’s boyhood town of Linz would be leveled and rebuilt, with masterpieces like The Ghent Altarpiece and the Mona Lisa as centerpieces in this definitive collection. It would even feature a gallery of horrors, a wing dedicated to “degenerate” art that did not meet the Nazi standards of racial purity of artist and subject matter. This wing would show the world from which the Nazis had saved humanity. Taking a note from Napoleon, whose army featured the first dedicated art theft unit, the Nazi army established the Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg (ERR), assigned the task of collecting documents, archives, and art for the Nazi cause.

The Allies only became aware of the true, systematic extent of Nazi art theft in 1943, years into the war. They knew of the infamous “degenerate” art exhibition that had toured Nazi-controlled Germany before the war, curated in such a way as to demonstrate the “inferiority” of these abstract contemporary works. They knew of the fire-sale of art seized from German citizens before the war, and sold at an auction at the Galerie Fischer in Lucerne—many of these works were bought by American and English collectors, whose desire to add to their collections helped finance Nazi armaments. But it was only in 1943 that a fortuitous toothache brought American soldiers Lincoln Kirstein (who would found New York City Ballet with George Balanchine after the war) and Robert Posey to a dentist near Trier, Germany. The dentist’s son-in-law, who was hiding in a cottage in the forest, was SS officer Hermann Bunjes, former art adviser to Göring. Kirstein and Posey tracked down Bunjes, and, assuming that they already knew of the Linz super museum, revealed to them the ERR’s systematic looting of Europe’s art collections.

The Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives program under the Civil Affairs and Military Government Sections of the Allied armies was established in 1943, and the 400 service members in the MFAA were mostly art historians and museum personnel who were known as Monuments Men. In anticipation of the Allied invasion, Gen. Dwight Eisenhower issued a statement to the Allied Army during the summer of 1944, regarding the protection of art treasures:

Shortly we will be fighting our way across the continent of Europe in battles designed to preserve our civilization. Inevitably, in the path of our advance will be found historical monuments and cultural centers which symbolize to the world all that we are fighting to preserve. It is the responsibility of every commander to protect and respect these symbols whenever possible.

The Monuments Men accompanied the Allied armies to locate at-risk art and monuments that may be damaged or stolen in the chaos of war, and then preserve them as best they could in the field. Their story is one of intrigue, espionage and heroism, with the survival or destruction of the greatest treasures of human civilization hanging in the balance. The entire contents of the Uffizi Museum, the museums of Paris, and the treasures of dozens of churches were stripped by the Nazis. The Germans hid the contents of occupied Europe’s museums—tens of thousands of masterpieces—for use after the war. Many were stored in secret underground storage facilities, like the salt mine that was converted into a hi-tech art warehouse in the Austrian Alps at Alt Aussee, which contained 12,000 of the most important works that were destined for Hitler’s Linz museum. The Monuments Men led detective-work searches for hidden and stolen art, and followed just behind the front lines, trying to secure monuments that were damaged, like the Ponte Santa Trinita (Holy Trinity Bridge in Italian) in Florence, blown up by retreating Nazis to slow the advance of the Allies, the fire-bombed monastery of Monte Cassino, and the bomb-shattered Camposanto in Pisa. Robert M. Edsel’s absorbing, thoroughly researched gallop of a history book, Saving Italy, focuses on the efforts of the Monuments Men to protect and recover the art of Italy.

The Monuments Men led detective-work searches for hidden and stolen art, and followed just behind the front lines.
The book is a companion volume to the successful and wonderfully detailed The Monuments Men, written by Edsel and Bret Witter, which came out in 2009 and was optioned by George Clooney for development into a movie, scheduled to come out next winter. While most of the stories in both of these volumes have been told before, they are largely unknown to the wider readership, even to avid World War II aficionados. Edsel, founder of the admirable Monuments Men Foundation, which keeps archival records of the efforts of these Allied heroes, has presented the material in a thorough, scholarly, but readable way. Peter Harclerode and Brendan Pittaway’s The Lost Masters tell the same stories in more detail. Other books focus on the Monuments Men’s individual adventures: Frederick Hartt’s out-of-print Florentine Art Under Fire recounts the battle for Florence, Sydney Kirkpatrick’s Hitler’s Holy Relics focuses on the Crown Jewels of the Holy Roman Empire, and my own Stealing the Mystic Lamb chronicles the recovery of Jan van Eyck’s Ghent Altarpiece. But for the interested, intelligent lay reader, Edsel’s two volumes are the best place to go.

The Monuments Men touched upon all of the action in Europe save for Italy—a conspicuous absence that foretold a future volume. Saving Italy is better written (this time without a co-writer), and some of the tics in the first book that bothered critics have been expunged: for instance, the inclusion of the thoughts of historical figures without making clear whether this was an authorial device to make the narrative richer, or whether the words actually came from archival material. It is interesting to compare Saving Italy to The Venus Fixers by Ilaria Dagnini Brey, which tells the same story, and which was published just when Edsel’s first volume came out, in 2010. The Venus Fixers is a slimmer volume, more literary and elegantly written, but Edsel’s is the more authoritative, and its truly deep research and scholarship (and helpful citations) make it the weightier of the two, the better combination of fun and depth.

Saving Italy covers some of the greatest adventures during this dark time: the destruction of the Camposanto in Pisa, the looting of the Uffizi, the destruction of the Ponte Santa Trinita and large swaths of Florence (despite Hitler’s statement that “Florence is too beautiful a city to destroy. Do what you can to protect it”), the horror show of Monte Cassino, and more.

Monte Cassino is a particularly chilling tale. Allies spent weeks trying to extract entrenched Germans whom they believed to have been hiding in the ancient cliff-top monastery. Dozens of ground offensives failed to make headway, as German snipers cut down Allied assaults. The weighty decision was finally made to send in an airstrike that would drive them out, but also pulverize the 1,400-year-old monastery. Allied bombers dropped 1,400 tons of bombs, decimating the monastery that had been founded in 529 by Saint Benedict, shattering the frescoed walls and destroying the masterpieces stored there—only to learn afterward that the Germans were not in the monastery itself. Further, German paratroopers took up defensive positions in “the saw-toothed ruins” that resulted from the Allied air attack, and the Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944 raged on from January until May. Edsel writes, “When the cost of ‘victory’ was calculated, the numbers did resemble the ghastly battles of World War I: fifty-five thousand Allied casualties, and some twenty thousand dead and wounded Germans.” Of its once rich art and architecture, little remained. Monuments officer Norman Newton said that the side of the abbey facing the town of Cassino was “mostly leveled to ground floor … Statue of St. Benedeict is headless but otherwise intact … Reconstruction of the entire abbey is possible, although much is now only a heap of pulverized rubble and dust.” The treasures and the monastery, along with some 70,000 lives, had been destroyed.

The Second World War is rich in tales of heroism. Everyone who suffered during the war has his or her adventure to tell. But it is important to recall that even inanimate objects contain stories. Many artifacts, paintings, sculptures, and buildings were stolen or destroyed. Many other works of art were guarded and rescued by officers who braved death—precisely because these great treasures of civilization tell the stories of our cultural heritage.

Daily Beast
Lighterside
Lighterside
Super clooney-astic fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 26 May 2013, 21:03

According to a PR, His Nibs had his first day of filming in the UK yesterday.........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sun 26 May 2013, 21:37

Thanks for the article
and thanks to all ppl saved our treasure Love letter
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 27 May 2013, 00:11

party animal - not! wrote:According to a PR, His Nibs had his first day of filming in the UK yesterday.........
So much for his rest and recuperation. God Bless you George Love you.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 May 2013, 00:21

Yep, and and as someone who's directed, produced and acted in films before, he is bound to be aware of the responsibilities, budgets and deadlines of these things - and still he loves it!

This is the first with overseas locations I think, and clearly he's organised a great team around him, and manages to enjoy himself too.

Cannot think for the moment of another director, or producer with this level of spotlight on every move he makes......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 27 May 2013, 00:36

Yes PAN it does seem quite a marathon undertaking.
I'm looking forward to seeing the film...more than Gravity.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Mon 27 May 2013, 00:49

Yep, really curious me too
Basketball geek cheers I love you
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 27 May 2013, 01:28

Joanna wrote:Yes PAN it does seem quite a marathon undertaking.
I'm looking forward to seeing the film...more than Gravity.

Have to agree this movie is going to be spectacular. It seems that he has an organized mind. He prioritizes his different jobs very well I think. A very multitalented person, and seems to be able to approach things from all angles. I am very excited to see "Monuments Men." I think that him and Grant seem to have a very good not only friendship but a good working relationship which is very important. They both should win some on this one.

Zen

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 27 May 2013, 01:48

To that end, there were reports that His Nibs and Matt Damon were at an air show today at Duxford, Cambridgeshire held in conjunction with the Imperial War Museum.......

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Mon 27 May 2013, 01:53

PAN....it's a great air show...I've been....I was in a traffic jam alongside Richard Branson in his Range Rover for a while...Lol
Then missed Concorde going over as I was in the loo as we'd been in traffic for so long....heard her though !
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 30 May 2013, 08:40

As George Clooney German falsifies history

Of American heroes who have "saved" the German museum items in the Second World War, will tell George Clooney's film project "The Monuments Men". But the heroes were in fact other

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Title, theses, temperaments" is an honorable mission - but sometimes it shines with frightening naivety and bite impediment. Since the main chapters of the rescue of the Museum's collection is cut in the last months of the war. Occasion are the starting filming the movie "The Monuments Men," directed by and starring George Clooney in Merseyside. And the Rapporteur indulge in anthemic praises of those American "heroes" who have the German museum items (allegedly looted by the Nazis nearly everything) "saved" at war's end from mines and dungeons.

In fact, it is the historical truth on its head. While there really are "heroes" have been, where saving these treasures is to thank. It is also true that their name to this day are almost completely unknown and anonymous, and that they have often risked their lives to rescue the treasures. Only these were real "heroes" in this case an exception not the American search teams and finding commissions were sent to retrieve these treasures - incidentally also not a task that special heroism would have required - but German art historians, museum professionals, conservators and nameless ordinary people .

George Clooney leads the film 'The Monuments Men' Director and plays with herself. Critics say the project even before the status of the shooting, it shows an incorrect view of the history of World War II
Photo: dpaGeorge Clooney leads the film 'The Monuments Men' Director and plays with herself. Critics say the project even before the status of the shooting, it shows an incorrect view of the history of World War II

Destructions in Guernica/Luftangriff1937 - Bombing of Guernica / Air Attack / 1937 - Guernica détruite / Attaque aerienne 1937

World War II
The Second World War from the air
The historical cliché, which is distributed with the "ttt" show, remembers fatal to the hero worship that has been given already 50 years those Soviet soldiers tracked down the works of art from German museums in their war accommodations and had lived in the Soviet Union.

The note, which lacked

"The man kept" under the title claimed, for example, the catalog of the Dresden Gallery 1959: "Treasures of the world culture - from ancient times to the present - preserved by the Soviet Union before the war damage." It was a brazen web of lies in the lack of any indication that more extensive stocks stored in the cellars of the Pushkin Museum of West German museums waiting, to this day on their return.

No one should try to belittle the achievements of the artistic sense, the enthusiasm and idealism of Allied Arts Commissioners who backed German museum items after the war. Its savior but were different - just those hundreds and maybe thousands of men and women who Incorporation of the works under unspeakable hardships and dangers not be estimated in secure accommodation.

It was the - still not refurbished - probably the biggest bailout in the history of art. Without it, the frieze of the Altar of Zeus from Pergamon would be would be the Sistine Madonna and the Green Vault in Dresden, would be the window of the Cologne Cathedral and the Marienkirche in Frankfurt / Oder, paintings of the Renaissance, of the Dutch, Flemish and Spanish and irreplaceable archives of history and culture of the German people from 17 to 20 Century for humanity lost. At least a small reference to it would at all heroic exuberance of "ttt" show the crooked appearance of this paper straightened. He stayed.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 30 May 2013, 10:43

I don't always understand some of the translations. Who are they saying was falsifying documents? No one has seen the movie yet so it cannot be George & Grant.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by theminis Thu 30 May 2013, 10:49

I can't say that I understand a lot of it either, but I think they are saying that maybe the movie is not entirely factual, not really sure.
theminis
theminis

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 30 May 2013, 11:07

I think they're saying the story that the film's based on is inaccurate. They're saying that the claim that only this American team is responsible for saving artworks is untrue.

They're probably right but unfortunately for them, one film can't cover every single detail (it'd be a 5000-hour documentary otherwise!) so they've chosen the story that interests them the most: that of the allies who came to Europe to rescue the art.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Thu 30 May 2013, 11:31

Agreed. And Robert Edsel, the author of the book 'Monuments Men' would be the first to acknowledge that, since he's just written another book called 'Saving Italy'.

But it's still a relatively unknown and pretty amazing story which will start huge discussions when it's released to a larger audience, many of whom weren't even born.

Just reading the book, you wonder how on earth they achieved what they did. And I hope the one remaining character still living, will have a ball when it's released!

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAvailable Thu 30 May 2013, 15:01

George Clooney and Matt Damon film The Monuments Men in Bramley

"http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/local/10453128.George_Clooney_and_Matt_Damon_film_The_Monuments_Men_in_Bramley/?ref=twtrec"

George Clooney and Matt Damon film The Monuments Men in Bramley

12:47pm Thursday 30th May 2013 in Local Exclusive By Emily Roberts, Chief Reporter
George Clooney and Matt Damon film in Bramley George Clooney and Matt Damon film in Bramley

HOLLYWOOD superstars George Clooney and Matt Damon have been filming in a North Hampshire village for the last two days.

The pair were at Bramley Camp, a military training area in the village, shooting scenes for their new film The Monuments Men, directed by 52-year-old Clooney.

The film, set during the Second World War, is about a taskforce of art historians and museum curators who unite to recover stolen works of art before Hitler and the Nazis destroy them. It is based on the book of the same name by Robert M Edsel, and is due to be released in December.

Other stars in the film include Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray, Daniel Craig and Hugh Bonneville.

The crew were in Bramley filming for two days before heading to Cambridge today where they are filming scenes at Duxford Imperial War Museum. Filming began in Germany in March before moving to the UK.

A security guard at Bramley Camp told The Gazette that the set was being cleared away today but confirmed that both Clooney and Damon had been on site.
NotAvailable
NotAvailable
More than a little bit enthusiastic about Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 30 May 2013, 15:05

I thought that it was confirmed that Daniel Craig is NOT in this film? Has there been a change in casting or is this article incorrect? Everyone else mentioned has been seen filming on one set or another.
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Fri 31 May 2013, 05:45

I think they've just pulled info from an old file when Daniel's name was still included in the cast list.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Sun 02 Jun 2013, 10:26

Judging from Bob Balaban's twitter page, it looks as if some of them have had the day (or maybe the weekend) off. He was in Covent Garden with his wife

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by party animal - not! Mon 10 Jun 2013, 01:18

.........and looks like back in the country tomorrow........

party animal - not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Mon 17 Jun 2013, 06:32

BILL MURRAY
A TRIP ON THE SPREE IS STILL FUNNY, MR. MURRAY
16th June 2013 15:13 clock, Ilka Peemöller / Ingar Benke | Updated 15:13The Hollywood star enjoyed in Berlin, turning his day off with friends on a boat trip on the River Spree.

This is called full well acclimatized Hollywood star Bill Murray (62) seems to have arrived in Berlin, because obviously he has now adapted the Berlin-Mitte lifestyle.

As it is widely used there especially the actor indulges in Schluffi look even a so-called "road-beer". Beck's brand, half liter, as you can buy it on the fly about in Späti. The language of the Berlin understands the "Lost in Translation" star anyway better than the Japanese.

If you have a little tanked, it rocks on a trip on the Spree but also twice as funny. While George Clooney (52), with whom he expected only a week in Brandenburg the movie.

"The Monuments Men" turns, enjoying the non-production days in his Berlin headquarters at Soho House, Bill Murray chartered on Saturday afternoon just for himself, his family and Friends called Salonboot.

All aboard! As befits a gentleman of the old school, Bill Murray waited until the end of the pier wicker causeway bridge / Friedrichstrasse his eleven guests (including fellow actor Bob Balaban) and left at 14.35 clock the last one on board the "Dora Maar".

The first hour on board costs 220 euros, 150 euros for each additional hour, Skipper and fuel included. Except for the booze - the Hollywood star took the remaining relaxed to relax yourself on board. Three hours swaying ride (including past the Nikolai Quarter, the Museum Island and the Government district) even brought along with Beck's beer instead of extracting vorbestelltem Catering - delightfully relaxed, Mr. Murray! Just like a normal tourist.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Tue 18 Jun 2013, 18:47

Sorry I don't have time to translate....but les Frenchies had this link

some photos

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Tue 18 Jun 2013, 19:42

silly girl wrote:Sorry I don't have time to translate....but les Frenchies had this link

some photos

Okay SG this is the article. I cannot do the pictures that are there sorry.

Hollywood fever before the east wing

Today and tomorrow bustle is outside our window. What we could not tell George Clooney has chosen to Thaer hall of the Humboldt University and our yard for his current Berlin film shoot. All of Berlin's already crazy about "The Monuments Men" and every tabloid and almost every Berliner keep your eyes open for a snapshot. And we need to do to see but nothing out of the window.

Preparations for turning run for quite a while. That is also a huge effort at the star-studded ... There are 3 scenes here to be rotated. What exactly is of course a secret, but we know that our staff entrance was quickly redecorated the entrance of a military hospital in Cologne. In addition, our yard is full of American military and medical vehicles, and southward through nearly 100 wounded in the direction of catering. It's kind of a strange feeling to be transported back in time, but it's also exciting. Such a Hollywood production is not seen this every day. We already had some filming with us, even in the museum, but that is not at all comparable.

Unfortunately, the large external rotation had to be canceled and placed inside. What neither George nor we had expected, was the long winter. Suddenly one days before shooting began were about 20 workers on our farm and freed every way, every tree and every bush of snow and ice, because the film is actually in May. And to make it an art oak from Babelsberg not look quite so bare unceremoniously carted yet, so it looks a little greener. But while even the best Hollywood cameras and post-processor to do anything is the condensing breath when speaking. And now does not fit into May and so the outdoor scenes on the extras were limited and Hollywood celebrities turned into a lecture hall. Now you can see behind our windows, numerous heads who hope a look at George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray and John Goodman to catch. We managed remotely. A few photos can be found standing below.

The movie "The Monuments Men" starts in the spring of 2014.

Matt Damon actually came in the late afternoon for another indoor scene. And you hear that, Ben Affleck has ever looked over. Although he does not play with, but it was just nearby and wanted to say hi.
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 18 Jun 2013, 20:04

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 18 Jun 2013, 20:05

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 18 Jun 2013, 20:07

Obviously all taken from a room with a good view !

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 18 Jun 2013, 20:08

So....it expires in July. 

Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Tue 18 Jun 2013, 21:30

Thanks for the pictures!
it's me
it's me

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 20 Jun 2013, 03:10

GEORGE CLOONEY, MATT DAMON AND BILL MURRAY TEAM UP IN ‘MONUMENTS MEN’ (PHOTO)
Jun 18th, 2013 at 3:55 pm by Josh HillFilm

Home » Film » George Clooney, Matt Damon and Bill Murray Team up in ‘Monuments Men’ (Photo)

What do you get when George Clooney, Matt Damon and Bill Murray team up with John Goodman and Jean Dujardin? Apparently you get the World War II film Monuments Men, which is currently shooting over Germany. Clooney is directing the picture and he’s pieced together one of the most talented casts we’ve seen assembled in quite some time.

Monuments Men has so much weight behind it that it’s already looking like an early Oscar favorite despite the fact shooting hasn’t even wrapped yet. But given the talent involved as well as the subject matter of what seems to be fun story, it’s no surprise that we’re hearing Oscar talk this early on in the process.

I mean, Clooney’s been Oscar gold since he got behind the camera and started making executive decisions on films like Good Night and Good Luck as well as the statue he took home as a producer on last year’s Best Picture winner Argo. But the highlight of Monuments Men seems to be the cast that is going to make all other films this year blush.

The story follows a group of World War II soldiers personally contracted by President Roosevelt to recover artistic masterpieces currently being held by the Nazi’s.

So just for an Oscar rundown:
• Big name director – check
• Star studded cast of talent — check
• Period piece — check
• Nazi’s as bad guys in what could be a comedic drama – check
• A film that’s bound to be well over two hours long –check
• A film that’s based around saving art – check

All kidding aside, if you were excited about The Expendables, you have got a great thing coming with this cast which is essentially The Expendables with talent and the clout to win an Oscar. Even at the end of the day it turns out this is a film the Academy overlooks, Monuments Men looks like it’s going to be great fun and you can’t go wrong with a cast like the one it’s currently boasting.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 20 Jun 2013, 09:47

Maybe this will make some sense to someone else, it came on twitter.

Timeline

030Casting - Die Direktcastingagentur

8 minutes ago june 20, 2013 near Berlin, Germany
Berlin | Typ George Clooney für Image-Film-Dreh | Ende Juni | 150,- € bis 200,- €

Berlin | George Clooney type for image filming | End of June. We are looking for €150,-to €200,-for an image filming in Berlin still an amateur actors from the type of George Clooney who is smart, but her slightly younger age.

The rotating location is Prenzlauer Berg in the loft and is approx. 1/2 day angestzt.

Your Gage is €150,-to €200.

If you fit, have desire and time, then apply with current photos, and the subject of "George Clooney" at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Translated by Bing)

Für einen Image-Film-Dreh in Berlin suchen wir noch einen Laiendarsteller vom Typ George Clooney der
Smart ist, aber vom Alter her etwas jünger.

Die Dreh-Location ist im Loft Prenzlauer Berg und ca. 1/2 Tag ist angestzt.

Deine Gage beträgt 150,- € bis 200 €.

Wenn du passt, Lust und Zeit hast, dann bewirb dich mit aktuellen Fotos und dem Betreff " George Clooney"
bei [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Zen

This one is translated by google not bing a little.

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lighterside Thu 20 Jun 2013, 13:34

Nice article...but it would have been nice if Mr. Hill would have mentioned the only woman in the cast!  How do you not mention Cate Blanchett in this article?  What a goof!  Noooo!
Lighterside
Lighterside

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Thu 20 Jun 2013, 16:32

Lighterside wrote:Nice article...but it would have been nice if Mr. Hill would have mentioned the only woman in the cast!  How do you not mention Cate Blanchett in this article?  What a goof!  Noooo!

Your right and they rarely do sorry to say.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 22 Jun 2013, 20:12

Mazy wrote:Maybe this will make some sense to someone else, it came on twitter.

Timeline

030Casting - Die Direktcastingagentur

8 minutes ago june 20, 2013 near Berlin, Germany
Berlin | Typ George Clooney für Image-Film-Dreh | Ende Juni | 150,- € bis 200,- €

Berlin | George Clooney type for image filming | End of June. We are looking for €150,-to €200,-for an image filming in Berlin still an amateur actors from the type of George Clooney who is smart, but her slightly younger age.

The rotating location is Prenzlauer Berg in the loft and is approx. 1/2 day angestzt.

Your Gage is €150,-to €200.

If you fit, have desire and time, then apply with current photos, and the subject of "George Clooney" at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Translated by Bing)

Für einen Image-Film-Dreh in Berlin suchen wir noch einen Laiendarsteller vom Typ George Clooney der
Smart ist, aber vom Alter her etwas jünger.

Die Dreh-Location ist im Loft Prenzlauer Berg und ca. 1/2 Tag ist angestzt.

Deine Gage beträgt 150,- € bis 200 €.

Wenn du passt, Lust und Zeit hast, dann bewirb dich mit aktuellen Fotos und dem Betreff " George Clooney"
bei [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Zen

This one is translated by google not bing a little.

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicky80 Sat 22 Jun 2013, 20:38

What I understand when reading that.

It is a casting agency who is looking for an amateur actor who looks like George Clooney and is smart but is younger then him. Filming is for 1-2 days and the salary is 150-200 euros. They are looking for applicant to apply for.
Has nothing to do with GC they only look for someone who has it looks that's why his name is mentioned and when they apply they should write in subject "George Clooney.

It is for an "Image Film Shooting" not sure what an image film is.

Or in the new movie they is a scene when GC has to be young and that's why they are looking for someone looking like him. Or it is really something different. Did that help?
Nicky80
Nicky80
Casamigos with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sat 22 Jun 2013, 21:18

Thanks a lot Nicky I appreciate it very much.

Zen
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Sun 23 Jun 2013, 09:43

Joel Basman
The Zurich turns with George Clooney

It runs around the 23-year-old actor: On Thursday Joel Basman is seen in Swiss cinemas. And he has collected in a big Hollywood movie a role.

In "The Monuments Men" Joel Basman plays a Nazi. © RDB / Sobli / Adrian Bretscher
Matt Damon, George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, John Goodman, Bill Murray - the cast of "The Monuments Men" like a Who's Who of Hollywood reads. , but also a young Swiss actor was added to the cast: Joel Basman, 23

The film tells the true story of a group of allied art historians who were instructed to save artworks from destruction by the Nazis. Basman plays a Nazi. "It's just a small appearance," says the Zurich that his biggest role to date in "Sennentuntschi" had over "Sonntag view" . And says: "The shooting was incredibly professional and focused." Clooney holds not only one of the main roles, but is also director - and "a very good director and angenehemer" as Basman says.

His first major Hollywood production meant a lot to him. "But in the end, it is always a pleasure when you can turn something beautiful. Whether small-scale production or Hollywood cinema. " In Switzerland Basman is available from Thursday 27 June to see them again in a movie: In the German-Swiss coproduction "Outside is Summer» he plays a lifeguard.
Author: KF
23.06.2013 10:24

Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 15:57

When is the monuments men coming out?
Carla97
Carla97
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna Tue 09 Jul 2013, 17:30

Carla97 wrote:When is the monuments men coming out?

I think December this year.
Joanna
Joanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggy Tue 09 Jul 2013, 17:37

Isn't a few days before Christmas?
Maggy
Maggy
Totally loving George Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 19:40

Good. Thanks.
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazy Wed 10 Jul 2013, 02:28

MM comes out in the US on December 18, 2013.

Zen 
Mazy
Mazy

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla97 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 13:45

any recent George Clooney MM interviews ? Just chillaxing here
would be fun to watch LOL
Carla97
Carla97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next