George Clooney's Open House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» George's new project The Department - a series
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyFri 22 Mar 2024, 09:42 by annemariew

» George Clooney e Amal Alamuddin in Francia, ecco il loro nido
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptySun 17 Mar 2024, 22:18 by party animal - not!

»  Back in the UK
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyMon 11 Mar 2024, 16:38 by annemariew

» George Clooney makes the effort to show his fans that he appreciates them
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptySun 10 Mar 2024, 21:20 by carolhathaway

» What Happened?
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyTue 27 Feb 2024, 10:51 by annemariew

» George and Amal in France with new St Bernard puppy
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyMon 26 Feb 2024, 22:31 by Ida

» George on the Letterman Show
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyWed 21 Feb 2024, 15:59 by LizzyNY

» George and Amal with a new puppy
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyWed 14 Feb 2024, 19:14 by benex

» Amal new book on freedom of speech released
Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars EmptyTue 13 Feb 2024, 18:49 by party animal - not!

Our latest tweets
Free Webmaster ToolsSubmit Express

Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars

+9
Katiedot
it's me
silly girl
Cinderella
LornaDoone
Dexterdidit
watching
pattygirl
laetval
13 posters

Go down

Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars Empty Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars

Post by laetval Fri 07 Oct 2011, 19:29

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is hard to believe, but George Clooney, Julia Roberts and Clint Eastwood do not have stars on Hollywood's Walk of Fame. A-listers who do have stars: Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston and .... Big Bird.

According to The Associated Press (via Huffpo), the Walk of Fame application process requires a signed pledge from the honoree that he or she will attend the much-publicized handprint ceremony. "No pledge? No ceremony," writes the AP's Glenn Whipp. "Which is why Eastwood, Julia Roberts and George Clooney aren't among the 2,450 honorees lining Hollywood's sidewalks."

It's a long, long list, filled with big stars (Tom Cruise), big stars in our mom's mind (Michael Bolton) and fictional characters (Mickey Mouse.) The roster also includes every Beatle except for Paul McCartney, another A-list holdout.

"Stars like to make it a big deal," Hollywood Chamber of Commerce president Leron Gubler tells the AP. "That's the way they are. They get a little more bang for their buck out of it when they time it right."
What are you waiting for, Clooney? (The Cloon should definitely strike when the iron is extra-hot, like when he has three simultaneous Oscar contenders hitting theaters instead of just two.)
laetval
laetval
Clooney maximus fantasticus

Back to top Go down

Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars Empty Re: Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars

Post by pattygirl Fri 07 Oct 2011, 22:13

Maybe they just don't think it's that important. Some people, even celebs and stars, are not into this type of publicity. Like interviews, these are unnecessary events.
pattygirl
pattygirl
Achieving total Clooney-dom

Back to top Go down

Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars Empty Re: Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars

Post by watching Fri 07 Oct 2011, 23:14

Don't you actually have to pay for the "honour" of a Walk of Fame star? Plus an annual fee for it's upkeep? I think studios buy them predominantly when the star has a film coming out as a bit of extra press. You never hear of someone getting their star when they have nothing to promote.
watching
watching
Practically on first name terms with Mr Clooney

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Sat 08 Oct 2011, 00:28

So true and George doesn't want one he doesn't need one anyway! It is something you buy anyway so it isn't exactly an award someone else gives you.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by LornaDoone Sat 08 Oct 2011, 04:27

George has his foot and hand prints in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater which is a bigger deal than the walk of fame so I doubt he'll ever get a star.

Last edited by LornaDoone on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 04:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add embedded video)
LornaDoone
LornaDoone

Back to top Go down

Post by pattygirl Sat 08 Oct 2011, 16:18

Thanks, lorna

I thought I remembered him doing that but didn't have time to look for it and didn't want to seem an idiot saying something I couldn't substantiate.

What's so great about getting a star that you have to pay for yourself. George isn't into that kind of self-gratification and isn't that self-important.
pattygirl
pattygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinderella Sat 08 Oct 2011, 19:09

Yes Patty, I would have to agree with you!

Thanks Lorna, for bringing that to the table! Give Flowers2
Cinderella
Cinderella

Back to top Go down

Why George Clooney and Julia Roberts Don't Have 'Walk of Fame' Stars Empty Three Prominent Celebrities Who Do Not Have Stars On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Post by silly girl Sat 24 Mar 2012, 17:47

I think he would be too embarrassed:

The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a hot tourist spot in Los Angeles as well as a dream for many actors to be recognized on Hollywood Boulevard by getting their name on a star- or is it? While some of the 2,450 plaques belong to unknown “celebrities” have stars on the Walk of Fame as well as cartoon characters, magicians and one hit wonders, there are a few iconic stars that have opted not to see their name in the stars.

George Clooney, Julia Roberts and Clint Eastwood and all are missing from the famous tourist attraction. Is it because they don’t think it’s as much of a big deal as someone of non-celebrity stature? Or is it too much of a headache to actually go through the application process? We may never know.

In order to apply to receive a star on the Walk of Fame, someone in the person’s entourage must send in the application with a promise that if the celebrity receives the star, he or she will attend the ceremony. Next, a committee consisting of five members, considers all applicants from the approved categories- film, television, music, broadcast radio and theater and choses about 20-24 new honorees per year, who will then pay $30,000 each. The chosen few have five years to schedule their inductee ceremony which most likely coincides with a movie premiere or a promotional tour in the celebrity’s career, because as we all know, timing and publicity is everything in the entertainment business.

So what’s up, George, Julia and Clint? Why no star? You don’t feel comfortable having millions of tourists walking all over your name? You feel like you don’t need a cheesy star to make your mark in the entertainment industry? Perhaps, you are still waiting for the right time- you want to go out with a bang. All of you are more than deserving of a star and we hope that your assistants have that Walk of Fame application ready for you to sign right next to that never ending pile of headshots.

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by it's me Sat 24 Mar 2012, 17:57

I dunno
it's me
it's me
George Clooney fan forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 24 Mar 2012, 17:58

$30,000!!!! Now I remember why I didn't suggest this as a birthday present from us to him!
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 24 Mar 2012, 21:01

I have $3 I can contribute!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Sat 24 Mar 2012, 21:14

Great! Do you have 10,000 friends?
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 24 Mar 2012, 21:19

Not only no, but HELL NO! I don't even KNOW that many people in real life!! I'm sheltered...
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexterdidit Sat 24 Mar 2012, 23:13

Me either! Don't think we are going to raise the money for a star. I don't think George really cares. The boys could all chip in if they all really wanted too.
Dexterdidit
Dexterdidit

Back to top Go down

Post by silly girl Sat 24 Mar 2012, 23:26

Wow, where's the love people???? Laughing What we can't find a spare $30, 000? Seriously though I would be embarrassed to get a a star if it costs that much....I think there are better things to do with that kind of money....hopefully that is why he doesn't do it....

silly girl
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Clooney I go!

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Sat 24 Mar 2012, 23:52

I agree with you SillyGirl! I am sure that he wouldn't spend that kind of money for a star. Does anybody know if stars have to pay for their handprint/footprint slab at Grauman's Chinese Theater? Remember when George, Brad, Matt and Jerry had their prints done?
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by ally12 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 18:04

no the chinese theatre is honorary acknowledgement

ally12
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by melbert Mon 26 Mar 2012, 20:58

Thanks Ally12!

Welcome!
melbert
melbert

Back to top Go down

Post by ally12 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 22:35

no problem! thanks for the welcome

ally12
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 25 Apr 2013, 06:30

Sorry it took me a while to get round to it ladies, but I've copied your conversation about George not having a star here to this thread:

Mazy wrote:Thank you so much Theminis for that pic I never saw that before.
LornaDoone thanks for the info. George doesn't have a star who can we talk to about that?
Zen

melbert wrote:Jerry Weintraub, Lorna.

Mazy, George has to petition to get a star on the Walk of Fame and the "star" has to pay a fee. I think we have a thread on here somewhere about that.

melbert wrote:Mazy, I couldn't find our entry, but on Wiki, it had the following, and by the way, there's a George mention. I copied the whole section as I thought it was interesting. I was kind of wrong about the petitioning part, as it sounds like anyone can nominate someone for a Star.

Nomination process

Director James Cameron unveiling his star, December 2009
Each year an average of 200 nominations are submitted to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Walk of Fame Selection Committee. Anyone, including fans, can nominate anyone active in the field of entertainment as long as the nominee or his or her management approves the nomination (a letter of agreement from the nominated celebrity or representative must accompany the application). Nominees must have a minimum of five years' experience in the category for which they are nominated and a history of "charitable contributions".[67] Posthumous nominees must have been deceased at least five years. At a meeting each June, the committee selects approximately 20 celebrities to receive stars on the Walk of Fame during the following year. One posthumous award is given each year as well. The nominations of those not selected are rolled over to the following year for reconsideration; those not selected two years in a row are dropped, and must be renominated to receive further consideration. Living recipients must agree to personally attend a presentation ceremony within five years of selection. A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations. Presentation ceremonies are open to the public.[4]

A fee ($30,000 as of 2012),[4] payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the prospective honoree.[21][120] The Starz cable network, for example, paid for Dennis Hopper's star as part of the promotion for its series Crash. It was unveiled in March 2010, shortly before Hopper's death.[21][121]

Andrea Bocelli at his 2010 presentation ceremony
Numerous major entertainment figures and legendary show business acts are not included on the Walk of Fame for a variety of reasons. Some, such as Julia Roberts[25][122] and Clint Eastwood,[122] have declined to participate; nominations cannot proceed without the nominee's consent. Others, such as George Clooney[123] and John Denver,[26] were nominated but would not agree to the mandatory personal appearance at the unveiling ceremony. Others have simply never been nominated, or do not have a nominator willing or able to pay the selection fee, or have less than the required five years' minimum involvement in their designated field. Others are merely victims of selection constraints and probability; only about 10% of nominees are selected each year.

Traditionally, the identities of selection committee members, other than its chairman, have not been made public in order to minimize conflicts of interest and to discourage lobbying by celebrities and their representatives (a significant problem during the original selections in the late 1950s). However, in 1999, in response to intensifying charges of secrecy in the selection process, the Chamber disclosed the members' names: Johnny Grant, the longtime chair and representative of the television category; Earl Lestz, president of Paramount Studio Group (motion pictures); Stan Spero, retired manager with broadcast stations KMPC and KABC (radio); Kate Nelson, owner of the Palace Theatre (live performance); and Mary Lou Dudas, vice president of A&M Records (recording industry).[124] Since that 1999 announcement the Chamber has revealed only that Lestz (who received his own star in 2004) became chairman after Grant died in 2008. Their current official position is that "each of the five categories is represented by someone with expertise in that field."[4]

As of June 2010, Lestz had been replaced as chairman by John Pavlik, former Director of Communications for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.[125] While no public announcement was made to that effect, he was identified as chairman in the Chamber's press release announcing the 2011 star recipients.[126]

Mazy wrote:Hi Joanna, Melbret did the finding I only asked the question. I just think George should have one now if there was only $30,000. laying around somewhere that didn't have a home.

I wonder when it was that he turned it down? I saw pictures of him last night participating at one and CRS forget the man's name that the star was for.

Anyway Melbret that was very interesting and Thanks soo much.

Zen

LornaDoone wrote:I think if George were to get a star nomination after winning a Best Director Oscar and the star were for directing, he might change his mind! Just my personal opinion!! Very Happy

Mazy wrote:I think that you are right Lorna, he has accomplished so much already and after "Monuments Men" I'm sure this one is going to bring him more Accolades. I have a very good feeling about MM for some reason. It must be because I feel that George is that good and has worked hard and piled up the experience.

thanks mel, the older I get the more senile I get! Brahahahaha!
I don't know what color your hair is but it doesn't matter make beleive, my sister I called it a blonde moment because be were both natural blondes, so it has nothing to do with age. :-))

Zen

melbert wrote:
Mazy wrote: I wonder when it was that he turned it down? I saw pictures of him last night participating at one and CRS forget the man's name that the star was for.
Zen
You are probably talking about the one for John Wells, his ER friend and who directed Osage County.
Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Katiedot Thu 25 Apr 2013, 06:31

And here's the link to the thread where George was at John Wells' ceremony:

Katiedot
Katiedot
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by watching Thu 25 Apr 2013, 11:22

I actually like that he hasn't bought himself a star or allowed a studio to buy it for him as part of the PR for the release of a new film. What awards he has received is through recognition and merit, not just throwing money at it. At least, not that I can think of off the top of my head.
watching
watching

Back to top Go down

Post by timmyjesse Thu 25 Apr 2013, 12:28

George is way too cool and above all these little things. The dude doesn't give a dang!

Melbert, don't feel bad about being sheltered. I don't know that many people either.
Hey, we should all start being friends regardless of where we are.
timmyjesse
timmyjesse
Clooney virgin

Back to top Go down

Post by OofOof Thu 25 Apr 2013, 16:18

That he doesn't go in for this kind of thing is why I like him. Like Watching, I admire him for not doing it.
OofOof
OofOof
Clooney-love. And they said it wouldn't last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down